The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase

It may help then if the voters demonstrate that they are actually capable of thinking for themselves which, judging by the blind faith much of the public had in the lies of the leave campaign and various pro-leave tabloids, is a rather difficult conclusion to take seriously.

I voted Remain but I've got to say that this comment says a lot more about you than it does about them. And it's not good.
Reply 21
Original post by Skiing Turtles
Personally, I have mixed feelings about Farage.
I think he's a good politician who's gifted at convincing people of his point of view (and making them think they had that idea all along); however, I dislike his anti-free-trade rhetoric and his passive acceptance of racism within his party, even if he himself is not racist.
I agree with a lot of what he says - I'm a Leave supporter - but I didn't want to Leave for the same reasons Farage did. I recognise the needs of immigration, and I love the idea of the Common Market. What I don't like is that centralisation and ever-closer union of the EU (I know we were exempt from that, and tbh the idea that we'd be further secluded from where most decisions are made is what really made me want to Leave).
Most of the people who dislike Farage do so simply because they can't actually be bothered to look at the context of what he says, or even look up what he says; all they think is that UKIP is 'racist', so anything associated with it they will hate.
Other people who hate Farage do so because they look at the context. If Farage talks about closing off the borders and putting Britain first, and this is a person who is an immigrant, or hates nationalism in any form, they'll dislike him because he goes against what may be some of their core beliefs.
Of course, someone may like Farage for the exact same reason - they think we should close our borders and put Britain first, so they like him even if they don't agree with many of his other economic principals.
It's impossible to thoroughly explain why every single person who dislikes Farage do so, but I like to think I at least touched on the main reasons.

I think you covered a lot of the reasons, it just frustrates me when someone will dismiss him without even listening to his arguments. I personally think free trade is bad, but support lower-tariff agreements. Firstly it causes outsourcing of secondary jobs which is key to any economy. It also alienates us from the rest of the world, which could mean lower prices for UK as long as there are reduced tariffs with these countries. It is good in the sense that investors will be more attracted to the larger market which means more jobs, but in that, the UK owned business's will decline.
Nigel Farage, AKA the Scrooge Of the Past
I think he's as close to a hero in politics as it gets. he was basically the sole force behind the referendum happening at all. I think if not for him it would have taken basically a real "EUSSR" for us to have our guv'nas give us an actual say
Original post by AOG1
OK, I find Cristiano Ronaldo annoying therefore I would say I don't want him to play for my team, right?

Well, that's petty. :tongue:
can't barrage
Reply 26
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Well, that's petty. :tongue:

Same premise :laugh:
Original post by AOG1
Same premise :laugh:

Okay, must be true if you say so...
Reply 28
Not liking Farage is a good indicator you're a beta male and have sour grapes over brexit
And it's just a lie that "nobody voted for the EU", the decision to join the EU was made by democratically elected governments with clear intentions and there was even a referendum about it in the UK.

Pahaha, please show me the referendums where countries have voted for further European political integration, and demonstrate how they significantly outweigh those that have outright refused it, only to then be ignored.

It may help then if the voters demonstrate that they are actually capable of thinking for themselves which, judging by the blind faith much of the public had in the lies of the leave campaign and various pro-leave tabloids, is a rather difficult conclusion to take seriously.

Do you actually know this, though? The public has lived with the customs union for over 40 years. I simply don't understand why so many people like yourself assume that the public's entire opinion on the EU was solely influenced by an incredibly short-term referendum campaign; it's ludicrous.

You're in so much denial: you should get a job at the European Commission.
A modern day GOD . A King amongst men. King Farage (PBUH) will be sung about for centuries to come
He is a despicable excuse of a politician who has time and time demonstrated that he has absolutely zero regard for truth or honesty. His entire existence is based on blaming every single possible problem on the EU and despite that, he is very happy to accept his salary from the EU whilst refusing to actually do the job that he's paid to do. You really cannot get much worse in British politics than Farage.

Honest, principled.. spent his career trying to lose his job which he succeeded in doing.. putting himself and his massive gravy train salary behind whats good for the peasants and the UK. You are right, he is nothing like any other politican. He will be begging for spare change on the London underground soon, he sacrificed himself for our sins... May Peace Be Upon King Farage (PBUH)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
I believe you are an idiot
For some reason people are incapable of knowing the difference between "vote leave" the campaign that was cross party and had members of the government in and "leave.eu" that was just UKIP. They always mix the two up and think there was one unified voice - there wasn't. Then there are those who are die hard EU supports who hate that he forced a vote. Then there are those who think UKIP are too far right (I'm in this camp but only due to some of their policies such as bringing back the grammar school system). On the leave side there are those that think he lied about money for the NHS (again wasn't his campaign nor has he every been in government so had no power to do this).

He's one of those figures. He's so mixed up in area's of politics that are very polarized that he will always be a hated figure to some.

I myself just see him as a man who put his whole political life into getting us out the EU and when the time came the British (myself included) voted out.To the remain camp he's a hated man who "tricked" us into do so.
(edited 7 years ago)
A true British hero. It was a sad day when he retired from politics but he left having succeeded in achieving his life goal. I, for one, am extremely proud of him, and so should you all be.
Original post by Mactotaur
He doesn't keep his promises. See the Brexit campaign which implied money saved would be spent on the NHS, only for him to retract and completely disavow that the morning the result was announced.

I accept that the claim was ambiguous, but anyone with a clear mind would have accepted that the total £350 million wouldn't all be spent on the NHS.

My mum had worked for the NHS for years, and even she knew that it wouldn't. She was expecting a share of it to be used.
He is a despicable excuse of a politician who has time and time demonstrated that he has absolutely zero regard for truth or honesty. His entire existence is based on blaming every single possible problem on the EU and despite that, he is very happy to accept his salary from the EU whilst refusing to actually do the job that he's paid to do. You really cannot get much worse in British politics than Farage.

Except he's not a career-politician.

If he's spent every day since 1993 targeting the problems within the EU sanctum, there must be a lot of problems.
He's a disgrace and a national embarrassment. An opportunistic bigot.

I'd be supportive of a large sum of money being spent to let other countries know that we're not all like him.
Original post by InnerTemple
He's a disgrace and a national embarrassment. An opportunistic bigot.

I'd be supportive of a large sum of money being spent to let other countries know that we're not all like him.

Yes, de-Faragification has become an important national priority.

The most sensible way to deal with this is to have a no-fly ban on him (so he can't go to the US bad-mouthing our wonderful country) and also a £1 tax on beer sold, so that the money he spends go straight back into getting rid of the mere mention of him.

It would also help if TV companies didn't keep treating him as some kind of decent, sensible, honest cheerful chappy. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending