The Student Room Group

Spanish Dictionary

Can anyone please recommend a good Spanish dictionary?

I have a Spanish speaking girlfriend and so this year decided to take a Spanish module as one of my unrestricted choices.

I'm looking for a dictionary which has good examples for the definition to help me understand more. Maybe also like A5 size?

Anyone who has any good first hand experience of a particular dictionary please let me know, as there are so many options when I look on Amazon.
I study Spanish but I have the big unabridged collins dictionary. You won't really find dictionaries that have examples as definitions.. it'll just tell you what the word means, though if it comes up in particular phrases then they'll have those. However, much more likely in the big dictionaries.
Original post by lxbsly
Can anyone please recommend a good Spanish dictionary?

I have a Spanish speaking girlfriend and so this year decided to take a Spanish module as one of my unrestricted choices.

I'm looking for a dictionary which has good examples for the definition to help me understand more. Maybe also like A5 size?

Anyone who has any good first hand experience of a particular dictionary please let me know, as there are so many options when I look on Amazon.

I did Spanish for my GCSE's, and I used an Oxford Spanish dictionary. It was very useful.
Reply 3
I understand examples for every definition is ridiculous. I just mean for common words, or common troublesome words? I thought it was normal for dictionaries to do this. Maybe It is an unrealistic expectation.

Any normal dictionary then? Collins...Oxford...DK etc
Original post by lxbsly
I understand examples for every definition is ridiculous. I just mean for common words, or common troublesome words? I thought it was normal for dictionaries to do this. Maybe It is an unrealistic expectation.

Not dictionaries but wordreference is a very good website that gives sentence examples for pretty much every word.
Original post by lxbsly

I'd go for Collins every time. Collins dictionaries saw me through A levels and a degree in French and Spanish, and I still use them now! For lots of examples of the words in context you'll need to go for the biggest size; an A5 size simply doesn't have the space.
I have a Spanish Pocket Collins dictionary if you'd like to buy one?? I can sell it for a cheap price :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending