The Student Room Group

Has anyone got into Oxford doing a levels over three years ?

With or without extenuating circumstances. If you have, what's your story?
Original post by Leontine

Ooo I'm interested in this too. Sorry I can't give an answer, but i'm repeating yr12 so will effectively be doing them over 3 years and I also am applying to Oxford...But I guess I do have extenuating circumstances :smile:
I can't say for Oxford but I know a girl from my old school who got into Cambridge after doing 3 years of A levels. She did really well at GCSEs but in Year 12, she had panic attacks and mental health problems around exam season so she came out with UUUU, Retook the year and last month she came out 2A*s and an A :smile:

I'm sure somewhere along the line... it would be great to hear any stories though

Rare I imagine
Reply 5
I did an extra year. I have autism and walking difficulties and as soon as I entered sixth form, any previous support I'd had disappeared. They suddenly expected me to have no issues at all, now that I wore a different colour blazer. I understand independence in SEN students should be encouraged, but a smoother transition would've been preferable, to say the least. I got 9A*s and an A at GCSE, then got D, U, C in AS Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively. Honestly, the way the school was acting towards me was straight up discriminatory. I had surgery on my hands and I didn't get any access arrangements in exams to help me write, or permission to type exams. By the end of exam season, my hands were useless and spasmed so much that I couldn't even hold a pen due to overuse.

I transferred to a different college and things were much better. They didn't even do that much extra, there were just more safety nets in place, so to speak. They gave me a lot more independence where I wanted it, and more support where I needed.

I studied AS physics, biology and chemistry. I also continued maths to A2, because I'd got a C, which allowed me to do A2. I was basically a normal AS student, with slightly harder maths. I also resat my AS maths units. I also decided part way through the year that, seeing as I'd be finishing A level maths that year, I wanted to do Further maths in my second year at that college. I had to self study Statistics 1, because of the way this college structured the maths/further maths.

I got all As in my first year and an A* in Maths. I applied to and took part in the UNIQ Biochemistry Summer School programme, which was great, because it gave me plenty to talk about in my personal statement; There was nowhere to go for lab type work experience anywhere near where I lived. In my A2 year, I applied to study Biochemistry at Oxford, Imperial, Sheffield, York and Durham. I got offers for all of them and decided to go to Oxford. I am now sat typing this in my new accommodation in Oxford, waiting for Fresher's week to start on Monday. In the end, I got A*s in Biology, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, with an A in Chemistry.

So I will say, don't give up hope if you are doing an extra year. Oxford look for potential and enthusiasm, and a bad year doesn't mean you don't have these things.

Good luck!
Original post by Oxyfrost
I am now sat typing this in my new accommodation in Oxford, waiting for Fresher's week to start on Monday.

Well done. :smile: What will you be reading at Oxford?
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
Well done. :smile: What will you be reading at Oxford?

Biochemistry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending