The Student Room Group

Difference Between Master of arts and Bachelor of Science in Scotland

Hi am unsure whether this is the best spot to ask this question but I don't really understand the difference. Especially in the university of St Andrews. All courses there are can be studied as a Master of arts and a bachelor of science.

Is there a big difference between these two. Both the bachelor and master degrees at St Andrews are for four years and have the same course content.

Another thing I was wondering was whether a Scottish master of arts is as good as a bachelor of science. Someone told me a bachelor of science is regarded as more valuable.
Original post by Ben Gee
Hi am unsure whether this is the best spot to ask this question but I don't really understand the difference. Especially in the university of St Andrews. All courses there are can be studied as a Master of arts and a bachelor of science.

Is there a big difference between these two. Both the bachelor and master degrees at St Andrews are for four years and have the same course content.

Another thing I was wondering was whether a Scottish master of arts is as good as a bachelor of science. Someone told me a bachelor of science is regarded as more valuable.

It's not a masters degree. MA is arts based, while BSc is schience based - so go for the content which you're most interested in
Reply 2
I'm aware that both are undergraduate based and that a BSc is more maths/science based however when on St Andrews website there is no difference between these two in terms of the course set up.
Also I was wondering if the Scottish master of arts undergraduate degree is seen as inferior to the more commonly studied BSc.
PS I want to study economics
In Scotland a Master's is an undergraduate? @ _ @

I can tell you that arts degrees are not seen as 'less valuable' than science degrees, especially for subjects like yours (Economics) where it can come under either category.
Reply 4
Original post by Ben Gee

Original post by Abstract_Prism
In Scotland a Master's is an undergraduate? @ _ @

Like Oxbridge, and Trinity College Dublin, the "ancient" universities in Scotland can award MAs to their undergraduates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_university#Undergraduate_Master_of_Arts_degree
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending