The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

I want to go to a better uni!

Hi everyone!

I took a year out with the intention to try and get into medical school, which was unsuccessful.

I felt so sad I applied for pharmacy school. I had a unconditional from UEA which I firmly accepted.

It came to a couple weeks before going and I decided to give medical school another try through GEM so I went through clearing and ended up at the University of Hull to study Biomedical science.

It's a great uni and all but with the grades I have I could transfer to the University of Liverpool to study biological and medical sciences (starting from year 2).

Do you think I'm overthinking everything?
Reply 1
Biomedical science is a dangerous route to try and get into medicine. Graduate medicine is even more competitive than undergraduate medicine entry. Though Jeremy Hunt is doing well in ruining the profession, so the odds may get better.

If I were you, I would have applied for MPharm degrees to become a pharmacist or gone into optometry. Decent wage, though it does feel like retail at times. Pharmacy is not an office job and you will feel tired at the end of the day, like most retail jobs. Though 40K a year is not bad for essentially reading off a prescription and some consultation.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
I work as a dispenser part time. I'm a phd student in "real life"
Original post by rambapa
Biomedical science is a dangerous route to try and get into medicine. Graduate medicine is even more competitive than undergraduate medicine entry. Though Jeremy Hunt is doing well in ruining the profession, so the odds may get better.

If I were you, I would have applied for MPharm degrees to become a pharmacist or gone into optometry. Decent wage, though it does feel like retail at times. Pharmacy is not an office job and you will feel tired at the end of the day, like most retail jobs. Though 40K a year is not bad for essentially reading off a prescription and some consultation.

But you're not him, and pharmacy is very different to medicine in practice.

OP, you're now in the medical school loop. You will either go round and round until you get into a medical school, or give up and go own another career path.

Do you have alternative paths which you may prefer? You have to be serious about it. You have to be 100% sure you want to totally dedicate to medicine because you could be practically 30 before you become a doctor going down this route, and that's assuming you're starting university at 18. Graduate-Entry medicine is ridiculously competitive. The general rule of thumb is maybe the top 3 from a biomedical science course will get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending