The Student Room Group

Should I go for a college or stay in the school sixth form?

I am truly confused about what I should do after my GCSEs. Is it better to stay at school sixth form or go for a college? what would be the difference?
Well I think it depends on your grades and what you want out of the next two years. Ideally most people applying to uni go to a sixth form but you can also go to uni via college. It also depends on the atmosphere that you want to be in, usually sixth forms are more academically focused whereas colleges are more relaxed in a sense. But if you’re someone who needs to be pushed and in a challenging environment then sixth form would be better. This is just my opinion but you should check out both colleges and sixth forms and see which would suit you best.
Thank you so much for your great advice...Now I really feel sixth form will be better for me. Thanksss
Reply 3
Original post by Supipi Rajapakse
Thank you so much for your great advice...Now I really feel sixth form will be better for me. Thanksss

Sixth forms tend to give you leadership opportunities and, of course, you already know the place and the teachers.
I don't think it matters that much in terms of getting into unis, as long as you would be doing A levels at college. I went to a college as opposed to a sixth form and it was never brought up in my uni applications or interview process and was never made out to be something that disadvantaged me or prejudiced interviewers against me. I think it's more just the type of atmosphere you want, sixth form will probably be more strict and "school" like whereas college will probably be more relaxed.
Original post by Username123ab
I don't think it matters that much in terms of getting into unis, as long as you would be doing A levels at college. I went to a college as opposed to a sixth form and it was never brought up in my uni applications or interview process and was never made out to be something that disadvantaged me or prejudiced interviewers against me. I think it's more just the type of atmosphere you want, sixth form will probably be more strict and "school" like whereas college will probably be more relaxed.

True...Thanks
Original post by Muttley79
Sixth forms tend to give you leadership opportunities and, of course, you already know the place and the teachers.

Thank youuuu
Original post by Supipi Rajapakse
I am truly confused about what I should do after my GCSEs. Is it better to stay at school sixth form or go for a college? what would be the difference?

Its up to you and depends on what you want to do course wise.
I went to both- 6th form then college. I liked both, but i liked college way better.

Id been at the same secondary school for 5 years before i went 6th form. Id always loved the place, but another 2 years at the place got boring. Plus i didnt make as many friends there. I loved college. It was a new place, new start, change of scenery etc etc. Made lots of friends. Generally loved it.
Original post by emma:-)
its up to you and depends on what you want to do course wise.
I went to both- 6th form then college. I liked both, but i liked college way better.

Id been at the same secondary school for 5 years before i went 6th form. Id always loved the place, but another 2 years at the place got boring. Plus i didnt make as many friends there. I loved college. It was a new place, new start, change of scenery etc etc. Made lots of friends. Generally loved it.

thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending