The Student Room Group

Any Spanish people doing Spanish A level?

I'd like to find out more about others like me and if you have to go to lessons (Because I don't). I simply do the exams when they're on.
I have a real issue with foreigners doing A levels in their native languages and, unsurprisingly, getting an A* in them which they can then use for entry to British universities. And the approach you describe, 'not going to any lectures and just turning up for the exam' just makes it worse for me. It seems that you're almost getting a free hit at an A*, where others have to toil at it.

I know that to gain entry, you've got to have a certain level of English, and you could thus claim that you've been disadvantaged that way, so it all evens out. But somehow, to me, it just seems a bit unfair. Please note, I'm not attacking you personally - it's the system I'm not sure about.
Original post by Reality Check
I have a real issue with foreigners doing A levels in their native languages and, unsurprisingly, getting an A* in them which they can then use for entry to British universities. And the approach you describe, 'not going to any lectures and just turning up for the exam' just makes it worse for me. It seems that you're almost getting a free hit at an A*, where others have to toil at it.

I know that to gain entry, you've got to have a certain level of English, and you could thus claim that you've been disadvantaged that way, so it all evens out. But somehow, to me, it just seems a bit unfair. Please note, I'm not attacking you personally - it's the system I'm not sure about.

A levels in foreign languages done by native speakers usually don't count, so it's not really an issue
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check

It is completely unfair however if it's there to exploit you can bet there'll be people (Much like me) who will exploit it. Who in their right mind would decline 56 UCAS points??
Original post by Mr Moon Man
A levels in foreign languages done by native speakers usually don't count, so it's not really an issue

I really hope that's the case
Original post by CarloFreiria
It is completely unfair however if it's there to exploit you can bet there'll be people (Much like me) who will exploit it. Who in their right mind would decline 56 UCAS points??

Yes, absolutely - it's the system (though it sounds from another post that such A levels are discounted). I absolutely understand that you would seek to profit from it.

Quick Reply

Latest