The Student Room Group

Independent College

I am a mature student and need to to A-levels in biology and chemistry in May/June 2017. I am happy to self-prepare, however, there are the practical elements of the A-levels that I cannot do by myself. Therefore, I am looking for a college where I could do these and also, ideally, actually take the A-level exams.
Any recommendations?
Original post by ArtScience
I am a mature student and need to to A-levels in biology and chemistry in May/June 2017. I am happy to self-prepare, however, there are the practical elements of the A-levels that I cannot do by myself. Therefore, I am looking for a college where I could do these and also, ideally, actually take the A-level exams.
Any recommendations?

Ask examination centres in your area if they will accept you.
Reply 2
Original post by SM6
Ask examination centres in your area if they will accept you.

Yes, I agree. That was my approach in the first place. But it seems harder than I thought.
I have really bad experience just recently- I went to a college called London Brookes college and they confirmed my A* predicted grades for bilogy and chemistry in apllication for medicine and literally yesterday morning they sent me an email out of nowehere to say that they will not provide them- this is 3 days before the application deadline- so I am not going to miss a whole year!
Therefore, I would like recommendation based on experience.
Yes, I agree. That was my approach in the first place. But it seems harder than I thought.
I have really bad experience just recently- I went to a college called London Brookes college and they confirmed my A* predicted grades for bilogy and chemistry in apllication for medicine and literally yesterday morning they sent me an email out of nowehere to say that they will not provide them- this is 3 days before the application deadline- so I am not going to miss a whole year!

Other independent colleges such as David Game, Campbell Harris, Duff Miller and Pascals have done practicals in the past but I don't know if they have have geared up for the new reformed A level practicals. (99% sure Campbell Harris have but they are very expensive). I think they all could do the exams.
Also try www.thetutorialfoundation.co.uk/examination-centre - I think they can do the CIE practicals but not other examiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Oh ok. Search for examination centres on google and try checking their reviews.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Other independent colleges such as David Game, Campbell Harris, Duff Miller and Pascals have done practicals in the past but I don't know if they have have geared up for the new reformed A level practicals. (99% sure Campbell Harris have but they are very expensive). I think they all could do the exams.
Also try www.thetutorialfoundation.co.uk/examination-centre - I think they can do the CIE practicals but not other examiners.

Pos.ted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much- I am going to call around tomorrow to see which one is the least costly..
Thank you so much- I am going to call around tomorrow to see which one is the least costly..

Good luck, it might be helpful to others if you update the thread with what you discover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Have you found anything yet? I'm also looking
Reply 8
Any recommendations?

I know it might be a bit late but if you have not started studied yet.

I did 2 A-Levels and AS at London Brooks and was very happy.

Fees were reasonable and support excellent.

Just managed to get the uni place. Very happy.

Quick Reply

Latest