The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics

I am looking to apply to Cambridge economics and know that further maths is very important, however my school does offer further maths but only to those who are brilliant in maths. Would it be fine if I take further maths externally?
Original post by 2341q
I am looking to apply to Cambridge economics and know that further maths is very important, however my school does offer further maths but only to those who are brilliant in maths. Would it be fine if I take further maths externally?

Universities (including Cambridge) don't care where you took your A levels, so that won't be an issue.

What's your school's policy on taking Further Maths at A level? It seems common for them to require a grade 9 in GCSE maths, or potentially a grade 8.

Below that, they'll be concerned that you might not get a grade you'd be happy with at Further Maths A level.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Universities (including Cambridge) don't care where you took your A levels, so that won't be an issue.

What's your school's policy on taking Further Maths at A level? It seems common for them to require a grade 9 in GCSE maths, or potentially a grade 8.

Below that, they'll be concerned that you might not get a grade you'd be happy with at Further Maths A level.

My school has internal tests and you have to get a grade 9 in those, there are two rounds in which you can get further maths, the first round has finished and I did not get further maths, only around 15-20 people did, the second round is in december.
Reply 3
So if I take further maths externally, it will not be an issue right?
Original post by 2341q

Right.
Reply 5
Original post by 2341q
My school has internal tests and you have to get a grade 9 in those, there are two rounds in which you can get further maths, the first round has finished and I did not get further maths, only around 15-20 people did, the second round is in december.

Try your best to get into FM at your school, but if you don't, I'd advise not to do it elsewhere, and consider applying to Oxford economics instead, or anywhere else other than LSE. It will be tough doing it elsewhere as the chances that your timetables will perfectly sync, and give you enough time to travel between the two, are extremely low.

A lecturer at Cambridge recently said that Economics there is essentially a maths degree, so you do need to be brilliant at Maths, similar to the expectations of your school for doing FM.
Reply 6
Original post by 2341q

Thats so weird lol. Why do schools act like further maths is some type of degree level maths lol?. It really isn't that challenging, you certainly don't need to have tests for it. Perhaps its because a lot of people want to do it.
Original post by lalexm
It will be tough doing it elsewhere as the chances that your timetables will perfectly sync, and give you enough time to travel between the two, are extremely low.

When OP proposed that they "take further maths externally", I had assumed they meant that they would study it independently (i.e. at home, not in any school/college), register with the exam board as a private candidate, and then take the exams as a private/external candidate at a local college.

@2341q, which approach did you mean? Actually enroll at another school/college to study Further Maths there? Or study it independently and then just take the exam at another school/college (acting as an exam centre)?
Reply 8
When OP proposed that they "take further maths externally", I had assumed they meant that they would study it independently (i.e. at home, not in any school/college), register with the exam board as a private candidate, and then take the exams as a private/external candidate at a local college.

@2341q, which approach did you mean? Actually enroll at another school/college to study Further Maths there? Or study it independently and then just take the exam at another school/college (acting as an exam centre)?

Good point. I assumed enrolling elsewhere. The OP can confirm.
Original post by 2341q

The university will not care where you took your exam. However, you may do worse on further maths without the experience of a school. If your school rejects you from further maths and you don't want to take it somewhere else or by yourself, you can always apply to an economics course that does not require it, such as Lancaster economics.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 10
study it independently and then just take the exam at another school/college (acting as an exam centre)

Original post by 2341q
study it independently and then just take the exam at another school/college (acting as an exam centre)

Thanks for confirming.
Hello

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending