The Student Room Group

Thai King Bhumibol was an ass

The man may have healed divides in the country, but he was really a ruthless tyrant.

He played a crucial, if not the most important, role in the massacre of at least 46 students (although some say as many as a hundred were killed). Why were they slaughtered? Two people had recently been beaten to death by police because they put up posters which were anti-Thanom (Thanom was a Thai dictator). These students decided to stage a play about the deaths. With the tacit approval of King Bhumibol, announcers on army-controlled radio stations accused the student protesters of lèse-majesté and mobilized the king's paramilitary forces, the Village Scouts, Nawaphon, and Red Gaurs to "kill the communists".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre#King_Bhumibol.27s_role

He also heavily supported and approved the extrajudicial executions of 2,275 suspected drug peddlers. It's estimated that half those killed had no links to the illegal drugs trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhumibol_Adulyadej#2003_War_on_Drugs
Reply 1
You have opinions on everything lol, I don't even know who this guy was until yesterday
Reply 2
Original post by Trapz99
You have opinions on everything lol, I don't even know who this guy was until yesterday

According to many people on TSR I only obsessively post about Islam.
Reply 3
Original post by KingBradly
According to many people on TSR I only obsessively post about Islam.

Nah you do post a lot about other things, but your Islam threads tend to attract more views and replies so you have become kinda famous for them haha
Reply 4
Original post by Trapz99
Nah you do post a lot about other things, but your Islam threads tend to attract more views and replies so you have become kinda famous for them haha

Yeh, and some people get very offended by them and so they try to ostracise me by calling me obsessed or whatever. Pathetic really. They know they can't match me in an argument so they always resort to playground tactics.
Reply 5
What else should you do with communists and drug peddlers?
Reply 6
Original post by Crassy
What else should you do with communists and drug peddlers?

Well, for a start, as it says in my OP it's estimated that half of the 2,275 had no connections to the illegal drug trade. So you must be cool with killing innocent people for no reason to support that move. You also must be cool with extrajudicial executions. I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased if you had some enemies who wanted you dead, so they told the police you were a drug peddler and so they came, took you away, and shot you. By the sounds of it, I doubt you'd want to be remembered as a drug dealer after death too.

Secondly, the students weren't killed for a communist act and there is nothing to say they were communists. They were protesting against the fact that 2 people had been murdered by the police because they put a couple of posters up that protested a dictator. That doesn't make them communist. Thanom was a tyrant, regardless of the fact he was staunchly anti-communist you don't have to be a communist to get that.

Thirdly, if you think people deserve death for believing in an ideology, you're a terrible totalitarian. If you think drug dealing is a crime worthy of the death penalty, you are extremely draconian.

It's worrying to me that people with your kind of mindset live in our society. Lucky for you though, I'm not like you, and while I think you should be heavily criticised, I don't think you should be killed.
He was a donkey?!
Reply 8
Original post by tamil fever
He was a donkey?!

I deserve that for using such a vulgar Americanism
Reply 9
Well, for a start, as it says in my OP it's estimated that half of the 2,275 had no connections to the illegal drug trade. So you must be cool with killing innocent people for no reason to support that move. You also must be cool with extrajudicial executions. I'm sure you wouldn't be too pleased if you had some enemies who wanted you dead, so they told the police you were a drug peddler and so they came, took you away, and shot you. By the sounds of it, I doubt you'd want to be remembered as a drug dealer after death too.

Secondly, the students weren't killed for a communist act and there is nothing to say they were communists. They were protesting against the fact that 2 people had been murdered by the police because they put a couple of posters up that protested a dictator. That doesn't make them communist. Thanom was a tyrant, regardless of the fact he was staunchly anti-communist you don't have to be a communist to get that.

Thirdly, if you think people deserve death for believing in an ideology, you're a terrible totalitarian. If you think drug dealing is a crime worthy of the death penalty, you are extremely draconian.

It's worrying to me that people with your kind of mindset live in our society. Lucky for you though, I'm not like you, and while I think you should be heavily criticised, I don't think you should be killed.

I wasn't being entirely serious. I really know nothing about this guy and don't have an opinion.
Honestly nobody here knew who he was until yesterday or whatever so you probably wanna take this up with some dudes who actually care enough to disagree.
Reply 11
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Honestly nobody here knew who he was until yesterday or whatever so you probably wanna take this up with some dudes who actually care enough to disagree.

Well, I've seen numerous posts, including on my FB, from people who clearly know very little about this guy but they're praising him as if he was some kinda saint, so I felt the need to set the record straight. I don't actually post anything on FB because it's a complete waste of time.
TBH, he's not that great. Thailand is improving economically but it ain't Arcadia Ca
Well, I've seen numerous posts, including on my FB, from people who clearly know very little about this guy but they're praising him as if he was some kinda saint, so I felt the need to set the record straight. I don't actually post anything on FB because it's a complete waste of time.

Ah fair enough I guess. People on Facebook do tend to post any old shite about people they know absolutely nothing about just 'cause they've died.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending