The Student Room Group

Teeth Extraction for braces

Hello,

I am 17 year old and I have a 10mm overbite. My orthodontist said that my upper first molars need to extracted (2 of them), and if I don't want to get them extracted I need to go private. My overbite is due to my recessed jaw and I also have mild crowding in my lower jaw. I dont want to get my teeth extracted because I have heard that it changes the facial profile.
I cant afford to go private as it is really expensive.

Would it be possible to get braces without extractions? on the NHS ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am 17 year old and I have a 10mm overbite. My orthodontist said that my upper first molars need to extracted (2 of them), and if I don't want to get them extracted I need to go private. My overbite is due to my recessed jaw and I also have mild crowding in my lower jaw. I dont want to get my teeth extracted because I have heard that it changes the facial profile.

If your orthodontist is advising that you have some teeth extracted, so that your overbite and crowded teeth can be fixed, then I think you should take their advice? They will have been doing their job for years and years, and wouldn't tell you to have an unnecessary extraction.
Where did you hear about it changing the facial profile? Was that from googling, or did the orthodontist say that would happen? I don't think having 2 teeth extracted would drastically change what you looked like (but I'm not a dentist, so hopefully someone who is can answer).
Reply 2
Original post by booklover1313
If your orthodontist is advising that you have some teeth extracted, so that your overbite and crowded teeth can be fixed, then I think you should take their advice? They will have been doing their job for years and years, and wouldn't tell you to have an unnecessary extraction.
Where did you hear about it changing the facial profile? Was that from googling, or did the orthodontist say that would happen? I don't think having 2 teeth extracted would drastically change what you looked like (but I'm not a dentist, so hopefully someone who is can answer).

It was the orthodontist herself who said that sometimes they can result in a flattened face.
It was the orthodontist herself who said that sometimes they can result in a flattened face.

How big of a change was she talking about? I'm curious why she said that you could go privately and not need to have them out... surely the dental advice would be the same however you were paying?
Did she say you needed to have them out, or that it would be easier if you did?
I had overcrowded teeth and an overbite, and instead of removing my teeth, I had coil springs to make spaces for my teeth to move into. However, it might depend on the orthodontist and your situation with how your jaw is, so I don't really know. My braces are on the NHS
Reply 5
She was suggesting jaw surgery to me and was like it is better for facial aesthetics, but I dont want to have jaw surgery because it is daunting to me. She was like having them privately would make a little difference. I am not sure whether to get my teeth removed as I have heard from people that sometimes orthodontists ask you to get teeth extracted because it makes the treatment time shorter and thay they are underfunded by the NHS.
Reply 6
Original post by Izzy_cat30
I had overcrowded teeth and an overbite, and instead of removing my teeth, I had coil springs to make spaces for my teeth to move into. However, it might depend on the orthodontist and your situation with how your jaw is, so I don't really know. My braces are on the NHS

How old were you?
How old were you?

16 when I got them
Reply 8
16 when I got them

Ahan. I was 15 when i was first referred to an orthodontist and my previous orthodontist wanted to put functional braces. However, because of Covid-19 it got delayed and then my family moved places. Took us a year to get registered with a dentist and then got referred to the orthodontist and had appointment after 8 months and here we are.
Ahan. I was 15 when i was first referred to an orthodontist and my previous orthodontist wanted to put functional braces. However, because of Covid-19 it got delayed and then my family moved places. Took us a year to get registered with a dentist and then got referred to the orthodontist and had appointment after 8 months and here we are.

Yeah, ik what you mean, my treatment was delayed by Covid too, so I didn't end up getting braces until I'd already started 6th form.
Hey Pal,
Hello,

I went through the exact same procedure, and trust me it’s worth it to get them out for the end result. I had to have four out, all on separate days. It isn’t that pleasant - but it’s worth it. It gives your mouth room.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Schotel
Hey Pal,

Hey pal I went through the exact same procedure, and trust me it’s worth it to get them out for the end result. I had to have four out, all on separate days. It isn’t that pleasant - but it’s worth it. It gives your mouth

Thanks for the reply, i have booked a few private consutations to discuss this.

Btw did your face change?
Thanks for the reply, i have booked a few private consutations to discuss this.

Btw did your face change?

Your jaw line will change which is expected and the feeling after having it all sorted is great. Definitely worth it.
I had braces when I was younger, and had to have 2 of my teeth removed as they were baby teeth (they were too stubborn to fall out on their own, the adult teeth were there). Definitely worth it
Original post by ohhello92x
I had braces when I was younger, and had to have 2 of my teeth removed as they were baby teeth (they were too stubborn to fall out on their own, the adult teeth were there). Definitely worth it

Lucky! Mine had big ass roots 💀

Btw how much of an overbite did you have?

Hi, the orthodontist had told me that I would need to get two teeth extracted but they also put a coil spring on when i got my braces yesterday. does this mean i wont have to get extractions?

Quick Reply

Latest