The Student Room Group

UCL vs KCL

Having a hard time differentiating between these two. I'm applying to do Law.

Could people possibly help me out with particular attention to;
- Reputation as a whole and for Law
- Accommodation
- Squash scene (long-shot but someone might know!)

Ta.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reputation as a whole, UCL is better known, and for law UCL is ranked 3rd according to the times, whereas KCL is 9th. Personally I'd much rather go to UCL.

The accomodation I'd imagine to be probably around the same price, and you can go to intercollegiate halls which are shared between all UoL colleges.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/01/45/65/mainmap.jpg - Here's a map for the location of KCL

Couldn't find all that great maps for UCL, but it's smack bang in the middle of Bloomsbury, right next to the Bloomsbury theatre, and the British Museum.

Squash for UCL - http://www.squash.uclunion.org/team.php

I can't find anything for squash at KCL, but that's not to say it doesn't exist.

Hope that helps.
UCL might be well known in UK but international students see King's College London as more reputable.
Reply 3
UCL might be well known in UK but international students see King's College London as more reputable.

I thought it was the opposite.
Reply 4
Boring.
Reply 5
this is super boring and been done a millions of times.
Reply 6
Glad to see someone agrees.

To be honest and I know from experience, no employer gives a two hoots where you went, so as long as you can demonstrate your skills and their requirements. That is proven when you pass the whole job application process and pass a probation period.

There are only few jobs, where going to a certain university might work in your favour. You'll just know when you look into the whole career thing.

Realistically, if you want to see if a uni is good for you, go visit the institution, speak to lecturers, existing students, look at your prospects, does it meet your academic and career needs, social needs etc...OK fair enough you might want to gauge what others might say in this forum, however how can someone say:

"UCL might be well known in UK but international students see King's College London as more reputable."

How do know? How do you really really really know? Who told you that? Most people who say stuff like that are just interpreting an intangible metric heavily influenced by league tables and probably what other people say and have decided to religiously go along with it.

Sorry if I'm ranting on like an old fogie but I do find it most iritating thing on this forum.

I repeat, boring!
Reply 7
AlumniBlix
Glad to see someone agrees.

To be honest and I know from experience, no employer gives a two hoots where you went, so as long as you can demonstrate your skills and their requirements. That is proven when you pass the whole job application process and pass a probation period.

There are only few jobs, where going to a certain university might work in your favour. You'll just know when you look into the whole career thing.

Realistically, if you want to see if a uni is good for you, go visit the institution, speak to lecturers, existing students, look at your prospects, does it meet your academic and career needs, social needs etc...OK fair enough you might want to gauge what others might say in this forum, however how can someone say:

"UCL might be well known in UK but international students see King's College London as more reputable."

How do know? How do you really really really know? Who told you that? Most people who say stuff like that are just interpreting an intangible metric heavily influenced by league tables and probably what other people say and have decided to religiously go along with it.

Sorry if I'm ranting on like an old fogie but I do find it most iritating thing on this forum.

I repeat, boring!

Lol... are you for real?
Reply 8
Coming from the US I can say that UCL and KCL are probably seen as about equal... I studied at King's College for my master's, I never really considered UCL though I wish I had applied to both schools--when I got to England suddenly I heard quite a lot about how UCL edged out on KCL. Believe me, I would not have applied to King's had I not felt that it had an excellent reputation... perhaps that's more illustrative of the overseas view of the school.

It's difficult in America to get a grasp on the reputations of the various top schools in the UK, as I'm sure it's difficult in England to differentiate between some of the top schools in America (UPenn, Cornell, Columbia, etc.). For example, in America you hear an awful lot about Oxford but as I understand it Cambridge tends to outrank Oxford. Once you're in the country you hear plenty about the schools' reputations but it's difficult to form an opinion.
Hope that helps--
Jordan
Reply 9
Yeah, BUT, if UCL and KCL were actual PEOPLE, then who would win?

Queensbury rules, first to draw blood.
King's are always raving about the law department. From what I've heard employers are fond of it too.
Reply 11
The kings law department does have a very good international reputation. TBH though there is not much difference between the two, just choose the course that you think offers the most interesting options in years 2 and 3.
Ryands
Having a hard time differentiating between these two. I'm applying to do Law.

Could people possibly help me out with particular attention to;
- Reputation as a whole and for Law

UCL by a long way.
uc
Location- both in centre of London so both pretty amazing, but from what I hear maybe Kings edges it.
Rep- UCL often does better in league tables but who cares? Employers will be happy with a Law degree from either so apply to the one you prefer.
go where your goin go be happy studying for 3 years. since both are fantastic for law, it is going to come down to personal preference right?
King's. The UCL lawyers I know are all whingers. If you go there you'll either hate your course or just whinge anyway.
Reply 17
The lawyers I know are all crooked, but it doesn't mean that all lawyers are, so don't make sweeping assumptions like that.
Reply 18
King's. Good department, so I hear. :smile:
Reply 19
Bissman
just choose the course that you think offers the most interesting options in years 2 and 3.

I hadn't considered this before - very very good point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending