The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't consider something that lasts from 8-11 a party. :p:
Reply 2
I'm going to the one in Norwich...but I'm sure it's even earlier than that...6-8, I believe...
Reply 3
what date is the merseyside one? is it in lpool town hall again?
priya
what date is the merseyside one? is it in lpool town hall again?

17th September, India Buildings, Water Street. Between the town hall and the pier head.

I don't consider something that lasts from 8-11 a party.

And quite rightly so. :p: This one lasts from 6 till 8, though... :cool:

Sigh, well, it should be some sort of fun anyway. :p:
Reply 5
I don't consider something that lasts from 8-11 a party. :p:

all the cool kids go to the pub afterwards anyway
Reply 6
I might go to the one at Repton, I don't think it'll be very exciting but I doubt I'll be up to much else between 6 and 8!
I'm not going, the one in Edinburgh isn't till the 27th, and I'll already be down by then. It sounds like I'll be missing out, a solid two hour party at tea-time is really my thing.
Willa
all the cool kids go to the pub afterwards anyway

Hurrah for late licensing!

Didn't go to one myself, and I can't really see any reason for going. People have said that it's to make friends in other colleges, which I do agree with, but you can do that if you a) join societies b) talk to people anc c) use TSR...
Reply 9
I may be going to the Norwich one, though it's my last thursday in Norwich so I might have to go out for one last student night :P
I went to one last year, it was an orange squash and party rings affair yet they were surprised by the low turnout!
crafty bison
I went to one last year, it was an orange squash and party rings affair yet they were surprised by the low turnout!

Not surprised. I got a letter today saying they were expecting "over 30 freshers!". Gah. Still, should be something to do. :p:
FadeToBlackout
Hurrah for late licensing!

Didn't go to one myself, and I can't really see any reason for going. People have said that it's to make friends in other colleges, which I do agree with, but you can do that if you a) join societies b) talk to people anc c) use TSR...

Exactly. Can't say it appeals...
Reply 13
crafty bison

Orange squash and party rings? I'm there.
Reply 14
I went to the London one last year, which was actually fairly well attended. I wouldn't say it was particularly worth going, though, unless you're desperate for free wine. I'm friends with precisely one of the people I met there, and he does the same subject as me anyway.
I'll be going to the Newcastle one. I know the parties in general have had some uninspiring reviews in the past, but it's only a half-hour journey for me and most of my non-Cam-bound friends will have nicked off to their respective universities by then anyway.

It's not hard to devise a reason not to go: the short and early nature of the parties, the possibility of a poor turnout, etc. etc. In my mind that kind of misses the point. Worst case scenario: there's all of two people there that I don't know, there's no alcohol at all, it all ends at 7:30, and the room has an unexplainable lingering smell of Marmite. So? I'll talk to the people a la sixth form common room, I'll drink the OJ or whatever's going, I'll get the 1944 bus back following a brief call to Traveline, and when I arrive I'll have a strange craving for a slice of toast. Not a party as you say, but still worthwhile.
Reply 16
I can't get over the fact there's one in St Albans... although I guess there are 3 people from TSR alone who are going to Cambridge from our little town so maybe it's a hotspot that I don't know about.
Reply 17
I used to go to school in Harpenden although I've recently moved so that if I hadn't then I'd certainly be going to that party too.
charlotte16
I can't get over the fact there's one in St Albans... although I guess there are 3 people from TSR alone who are going to Cambridge from our little town so maybe it's a hotspot that I don't know about.

ukebert too, right? :biggrin:

Tbh the parties sound pretty awful :p:
Reply 19
Yeah, I would skip it but it's literally round the corner, so I might look in... although I am honestly scared of getting sucked into some sort of weird old boys' network that feeds off vintage wine and braying laughter.

Latest

Trending

Trending