The Student Room Group

What is your access offer and what do you have up to now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kss2660
Wow..really great marks! I have 30 d's and 3 m's do far. And expect to get mostly the same, the merit was cus my presentation was 45 mins instead of 15. I have mostly been rejected so far as i hoped to read lit, have an offer for Durham for lit and ed studies. Plus still waiting on exeter. Thinking I may have to see If I have any luck with adjustment!!

Sorry about your rejections. Did they tell you why? You have amazing results from your access so it surprised me.
Reply 41
I know, its disappointing and even my tutors have been surprised. Durham (lit) said my ps wasnt as strong with literary areas as other statements (guideline from college for format maybe). And I have as yet to find out from York. I didnt apply to bristol, my friend got an offer for the same course there but so far only has 3 d's. So probably wont get the grades to get in any way. Durham open day could sway me I suppose :smile: still gonna look at adjustment. Trying to write a 5k history assignment on the Holocaust, fun!! At least they are pushing us in the right direction and I cant wait to start uni..still scared that I will crash and burn, mind you.
Original post by Missmoose
I am applying for Politics. So far I have 2 Distinctions, 4 merits and 1 Pass. So I have done 21 credits so far and supposedly we're doing 69 in total. Not sure how that works seeing as I only have 12 weeks left!

Offers so far are:
Kings College (International Politics): Pass Access course with 45 credits at level 3

Damn, are you serious? Kings is asking only for 45 level 3 credits? Can't believe, last time I was checking their website and they were asking for 39 distinctions for politics, I decided not to apply to Kings because I was realizing that I had no chance to get 39 distinctions. DAAAAAAAAAAMN. I've got an offer from Nottingham, but I would really like to study and live in London instead of small midlands town, I was dreaming about living in London since I was 18 and now I am almost 22. ****, I am really depressed now. And angry.:angry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Drama_flakes
Damn, are you serious? Kings is asking only for 45 level 3 credits? Can't believe, last time I was checking their website and they were asking for 39 distinctions for politics, I decided not to apply to Kings because I was realizing that I had no chance to get 39 distinctions. DAAAAAAAAAAMN. I've got an offer from Nottingham, but I would really like to study and live in London instead of small midlands town, I was dreaming about living in London since I was 18 and now I am almost 22. ****, I am really depressed now. And angry.:angry:

I think it's partly due to the fact I already have a levels and have done some degree study. I have an A* at A2 Politics which will have helped massively. Everyone else who applied at my college was given the standard 36 Distinction offer. Only reason I'm doing the access course is because I was doing an architecture degree so wasn't doing many essays, and wanted to get back in the swing of things again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Missmoose
I think it's partly due to the fact I already have a levels and have done some degree study. I have an A* at A2 Politics which will have helped massively. Everyone else who applied at my college was given the standard 36 Distinction offer. Only reason I'm doing the access course is because I was doing an architecture degree so wasn't doing many essays, and wanted to get back in the swing of things again.

Oh, I see now, that looks reasonable. However, I think that even 36 distinctions is too much, for example, LSE are asking for 18 d. for abb-course, 21 for aab and 30 for aaa and ucl are asking 21 for politics and eastern european studies. I still don't get why there is such a difference in entry requirements in top russell group unis.
Reply 45
Original post by Drama_flakes
Oh, I see now, that looks reasonable. However, I think that even 36 distinctions is too much, for example, LSE are asking for 18 d. for abb-course, 21 for aab and 30 for aaa and ucl are asking 21 for politics and eastern european studies. I still don't get why there is such a difference in entry requirements in top russell group unis.

Hey get this then, ALL level 3 credits at distinction!!!! from MMU for nursing. An utter **** take if ever there was one. Indirect discrimination against access students and one college has put in a complaint about it.
Reply 46
Original post by lillith
Hey get this then, ALL level 3 credits at distinction!!!! from MMU for nursing. An utter **** take if ever there was one. Indirect discrimination against access students and one college has put in a complaint about it.

That is crazy!! Some ask for 54- does seem to be some discrimination for access students. As you are constantly banging out assingment after assingment.
Reply 47
Original post by lillith

I agree they discriminate against access because they don't ask A Level students for straight A*'s! Which college complained if you don't mind me asking? I think they are believing in their own hype after inflating their reputation, quoting their 100% satisfaction stats based on a very small amount of responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by boltonmum
I agree they discriminate against access because they don't ask A Level students for straight A*'s! Which college complained if you don't mind me asking? I think they are believing in their own hype after inflating their reputation, quoting their 100% satisfaction stats based on a very small amount of responses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it has 4 campuses and its initials are TMC. Iwill find out the outcome when I go to my next interview. One of the girls from my salford interviews will be there and it is her college who is complaining.
Original post by lillith

MMU isn't even a top Uni, and they're asking for all distinctions? Ridiculous!

Who do they think they are?
Reply 50
Original post by mariocasas
MMU isn't even a top Uni, and they're asking for all distinctions? Ridiculous!

Who do they think they are?

I know, there has been some say that they don't like mature students which is why they are giving out these joke offers. Response to last years comments that they didn't give out enough offers to mature students. Alevel offer is BBC!!! I am really p****d off.
Reply 51
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
I know you're all going to hate me for saying this but I don't think asking for 39 distinctions or whatever is that bad. It shows you are commited to your course, and working hard. Considering you can get something like 60 credits overall, asking for 39 of those to be Distinctions is not ridiculous. Personally, I think getting AAA grades at A Level is harder but thats just me.

Some people on my course have offers with "pass the access course" or "pass with 15 merits", which I find harder to understand. Honestly one of the things doing an access course has opened my eyes to is how ridiculously easy it is to get into some universities/courses :s-smilie:

My top offer is at the University of Bath for Psychology - Pass with 39 Distinctions, and 6 level 3 maths credits at pass or higher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Jessykins
I know you're all going to hate me for saying this but I don't think asking for 39 distinctions or whatever is that bad. It shows you are commited to your course, and working hard. Considering you can get something like 60 credits overall, asking for 39 of those to be Distinctions is not ridiculous. Personally, I think getting AAA grades at A Level is harder but thats just me.

Some people on my course have offers with "pass the access course" or "pass with 15 merits", which I find harder to understand. Honestly one of the things doing an access course has opened my eyes to is how ridiculously easy it is to get into some universities/courses :s-smilie:

My top offer is at the University of Bath for Psychology - Pass with 39 Distinctions, and 6 level 3 maths credits at pass or higher.

I personally think its based firstly on your college, secondly on the individual and lastly on the competiton to get into said uni course. My college adopts the policy of independent learning unlike Alevels, which I too completed. I got decent grades but didnt apply myself like I do now or do wider reading or have the chance to be spoon feed like Alevel students. I have quite a few exams, Seminars and two 5k essays to write: I dont think u would find that at Alevel standard. The emphasis of the accesss course is to prepare you for uni. Some individuals have also not been to college or in a school environment for sometimes more then two decades and the way they were taught is different to the way we are taught today. So for some achieving 30 d or more is to be considered an achievement. I know some unis expect more d's if a student is doing the course and is under 21, so its all relative. Even with 30/33 ds some unis still dont think that ur application is gd enough. It doesn't guarantee u entry
Original post by lillith
I was just wondering where everyone was up to with their access course. What kind of offers have you had for Uni based on your access course results and what do you have so far?;
I have 2 offers so far for Adult Nursing; first is for all level 3 credits at distinction!! The second is for 33 credits at merit or distinction. Very different. To date I have 15 credits at distinction and 3 at merit. Lots waiting to be marked so fingers crossed. :smile:

Congratulations!

I had offers from my 5 choices all on condition of passing the Access Science course. I'm not sure if the offer was so low because I already had enough UCAS points but no recent science experience (if that makes sense). Also I don't think there is massive competition for the courses I applied for, no one from the college I'm studying at has completed the Access Science course and gone on to study Environmental Science.

The course I really wanted typically took the longest to get back to me that's a 4 year MsC in Environmental Science at Bangor University.

Speaking to some of the tutors at the Universities I applied to it seems that as Access students we have a pretty good reputation and many of them have said how impressed they are with how much more prepared for the University study Access students are over A Level students.

So far I've got 15 Distinction Credits and 12 Credit that I'm waiting for marks back on.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting
Reply 55
Original post by RobertsClan
Congratulations!

I had offers from my 5 choices all on condition of passing the Access Science course. I'm not sure if the offer was so low because I already had enough UCAS points but no recent science experience (if that makes sense). Also I don't think there is massive competition for the courses I applied for, no one from the college I'm studying at has completed the Access Science course and gone on to study Environmental Science.

The course I really wanted typically took the longest to get back to me that's a 4 year MsC in Environmental Science at Bangor University.

Speaking to some of the tutors at the Universities I applied to it seems that as Access students we have a pretty good reputation and many of them have said how impressed they are with how much more prepared for the University study Access students are over A Level students.

So far I've got 15 Distinction Credits and 12 Credit that I'm waiting for marks back on.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting

Congratulations to you too! Yes I agree, if you already meet the UCAS points but are studying access for recent study reasons or to boost knowledge in a particular academic area, then the offers are lower on average than those of us who ducked out of A levels early. I have asked at my interviews about how access students are rated by unis. They mostly seem to think we are very well prepared. my knowledge of Science for healthcare has improved 100% since september, I feel that I now have a much more solid grounding for the reasoning behind certain diseases. Eg, we are studying vitamin deficiency diseases such as Kwashiorkor and Beri beri and how this happens. I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and cannot wait to get to Uni. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by lillith
I was just wondering where everyone was up to with their access course. What kind of offers have you had for Uni based on your access course results and what do you have so far?;
I have 2 offers so far for Adult Nursing; first is for all level 3 credits at distinction!! The second is for 33 credits at merit or distinction. Very different. To date I have 15 credits at distinction and 3 at merit. Lots waiting to be marked so fingers crossed. :smile:

I'm doing Access to Mechanical Engineering. My Southampton University offer is asking for all distinctions in maths and physics units (4 units each)

So far I have 2/2 distinctions in physics but 0/2 distinctions in maths. Got merits instead. Bummer.

On track for getting distinctions for all ICT, Study skills, Mechanical Engineering and Physics units though.
Reply 57
Original post by Jessykins

I understand what you are saying but it is the discrepency between access and A level offers which is the problem. My offer is ALL L3 credits at distinction (48) where the A level offer is BBC. The average offer for nursing is about 36 merit/distinction.
Reply 58
The worst thing about my merits in maths is that they were at 86% and 89% (1 mark and 2 marks away from a distinction)

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
Reply 59
Original post by lillith
Me too I am more worried about maths than the access grades i need.

I'm pretty good at maths. Got A* for it back in GCSE. Word on the street is that you're a Cougar.

So lets help each other out. I'll help you with maths as payment for your ''services''.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending