The Student Room Group

Colleges With Adult A-Level Options

I am 19 and am looking to go back to college and do a levels, what colleges offer adult education a levels for people 19 and above.

Location (London) preferably
If you search something like '19+ london colleges' or something similar on google, most colleges in london that accept 19+ students will come up.
Reply 2
Hi there. Pretty much most colleges offer a range of education at all levels. Age doesn't come into it, as all qualifications should be available to anyone as long as they have the necessary prerequisites. Take care and stay safe.
Original post by ray24kway
I am 19 and am looking to go back to college and do a levels, what colleges offer adult education a levels for people 19 and above.

What subjects? A level provision for mature learners has pretty much vanished, since the government removed any funding for it. The 'replacement' is an Access course, which is a level 3 qualification (as A levels are) which enables adult learners to get the qualifications needed to apply to university. Have you heard of them? What do you want to study at uni?
Original post by godofhammers
If you search something like '19+ london colleges' or something similar on google, most colleges in london that accept 19+ students will come up.

i have done this and found a couple but nothing to promising
Original post by Reality Check
What subjects? A level provision for mature learners has pretty much vanished, since the government removed any funding for it. The 'replacement' is an Access course, which is a level 3 qualification (as A levels are) which enables adult learners to get the qualifications needed to apply to university. Have you heard of them? What do you want to study at uni?

I need to study medicine so i thought a levels was a better choice than an access course
I need to study medicine so i thought a levels was a better choice than an access course

I agree to an extent, but it is very difficult to study the A levels you require as a private candidate. No physical colleges exist any longer (really) for post-19 A level study, and were you to study them privately you'd come up against the problem of organising the practical endorsement for all experimental sciences that you'd need to do. This is separate from the normal subject exams, and is where you do a number of set practicals and your competence in them is signed off by the teacher or lecturer. Unless you are friendly with a school which would host this for you, then it's not going to be possible. It can be done as part of an A level delivered by an extension college (like the NEC), but it's extremely expensive (about £2000 per subject for the course plus practical endorsement).

You'd be much better off applying to study for an Access to Medicine course. It gets round the problem of A level practical endorsements and, if you go on from the Access course to complete a degree, is free of charge (you pay about £4k upfront, funded by a loan from the government, but this loan is then 'written off' once you graduate).

Research them carefully. Most medical schools will accept them, but some medical schools will only accept Access courses from certain providers, others will require a certain number of modules at particular grades, and some won't accept them at all. It's essential that you draw up a short-list of universities at which you might want to study medicine and check with them that the Access course you propose to study is acceptable to them before enrolling on the Access course.
Hundred percent thanks for the advice I’m now thinking of taking up distance learning. What’s your thoughts on this?
Hundred percent thanks for the advice I’m now thinking of taking up distance learning. What’s your thoughts on this?

Was this a question to me? Quote me in (by using reply) and I'll know to come back to you :smile:
Was this a question to me? Quote me in (by using reply) and I'll know to come back to you :smile:

Yeah bro
Yeah bro

OK. No, I don't recommend distance learning if you can at all help it, and I'm not even sure you can do an Access course at distance due to the practical element of these courses. If you can, attend one in person: your local FE college probably runs them, and they will start this September.

I'd do some research into local providers of Access and, as I wrote before, research whether the medical schools you want to apply to will accept the Access course you end up doing.
Original post by username5813848

Yeah me too, I am in the exact same situation except I turned 20 a few days ago.How did it go for you,I would really appreciate it if you could update me on your journey.

Thanks that was helpfu🥰l,Im in the exact same situation except I already tried the distance learning and wasted a complete year, with resource from 2 decades ago and teachers who took weeks to reply.Im going to follow your advice, Is there an access course specifically for medicine?
Reply 13
Hi! I'm in the same exact position as you. Could you please let me know what route you took? I also want to pursue medicine. please reply
Reply 14
Hi! I am in the exact same position. Could you let me know what path you took? Because I want to do medicine too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending