The Student Room Group

possible to complete nursing access course in 6-7 months???

hey guys!

I am currently a hca and I've finally made up my mind and decided to do my nursing for 2024 September intake, however i was just wondering if itll be too late to start an access course now? will it be possible to complete it in time for when results should be in for ucas (july I think)?? so around 6-7 months time from now.

has anyone managed to complete the access course in a similar period? I have completed level 4 study before at 60 credits from OU so I haven't been out of touch with studying...
Hey! 👋🏻
I’ve just started a HE Access to Midwifery on 24/11 which is due to finish in May so results are good for July and Sept 24 intake. I work full time and juggling this plus family time isn’t going to be easy I know. It’s just made me all the more motivated!
Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by nabzie
hey guys!

I am currently a hca and I've finally made up my mind and decided to do my nursing for 2024 September intake, however i was just wondering if itll be too late to start an access course now? will it be possible to complete it in time for when results should be in for ucas (july I think)?? so around 6-7 months time from now.

has anyone managed to complete the access course in a similar period? I have completed level 4 study before at 60 credits from OU so I haven't been out of touch with studying...

At my Uni they have "Health Professions" access courses that start in January. If there is an access course with January intake it will usually be explictly shown. Otherwise you'll probably have to wait until september. I have no idea how it interacts with UCAS for January intake though. If you're inquring into it you should look into it and apply ASAP
Reply 3
Original post by Mamaclark89
Hey! 👋🏻
I’ve just started a HE Access to Midwifery on 24/11 which is due to finish in May so results are good for July and Sept 24 intake. I work full time and juggling this plus family time isn’t going to be easy I know. It’s just made me all the more motivated!
Good Luck!

Is this an online access course or in person? And what are you studying?
Reply 4
Original post by FUCC69420
At my Uni they have "Health Professions" access courses that start in January. If there is an access course with January intake it will usually be explictly shown. Otherwise you'll probably have to wait until september. I have no idea how it interacts with UCAS for January intake though. If you're inquring into it you should look into it and apply ASAP

Which uni?
Before starting any Access course you should check your chosen Uni actually accepts it and also which grades they require and which units.

It can be a very intense course- it is akin to studying 3 A levels in 9 months. You will get very good at writing assignments. It is an excellent way to get ready for the real deal of studying at degree level.
Reply 6
Original post by Venusxox
Which uni?

Uni of Derby.
You can look up some on here
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/course-search
There seems to be a lot of places in the Midlands that do access courses, I don't know if many full-on unis will provide access courses though, mostly colleges. It is useful doing a Level 3 course with uni resources though.
Hiiii Im thinking of doing the same🙂 but looked and they don't send out the certificates until 12-16 weeks after completing your last unit. Do unis need these certificates? That's why I'm worried !! But we can do it together 🙂 xxx Pm me if you would like
Original post by accesstonursing
Hiiii Im thinking of doing the same🙂 but looked and they don't send out the certificates until 12-16 weeks after completing your last unit. Do unis need these certificates? That's why I'm worried !! But we can do it together 🙂 xxx Pm me if you would like

You put your grades or predicted grades into your UCAS application. The Uni will then ask for you to forward documentary evidence later which you normally upload via an online portal although some Unis might let you send copies.
Original post by ErasistratusV
You put your grades or predicted grades into your UCAS application. The Uni will then ask for you to forward documentary evidence later which you normally upload via an online portal although some Unis might let you send copies.

Oh thanks so would i be ok then? xx
Oh thanks so would i be ok then? xx

You had better speak to your local HE provider and ask them. They may not agree to start you on the course this late in the day. You can ask and it is certainly possible to complete the diploma a bit later as the Uni will only go on predicted grades and then give you a conditional offer based on your results.
Reply 11

heyy, pm me!!
Reply 12
Hi I know I’m late to reply to this thread but thought I had some good knowledge to add.

So both West London College and Highbury/Portsmouth College offer online Access courses that you can enrol on at any time. You can fund these with an Advanced Learner Loan that you won’t have to pay back if you complete your degree or a L3 entitlement if you haven’t completed a L3 course.

It is all distance learning however so you have to be quite driven - I will say I swapped from West London to Portsmouth as I found the support/learning materials to not be the best and I could never get in touch with who I needed.

Hope this helps somebody!
Reply 13
Did you decide what to do at all? I'm in the same situation really!
Original post by tsoph89
Did you decide what to do at all? I'm in the same situation really!

In all honesty I would suggest that you wait until September to begin your access course and then commence your UCAS application as normal. In the meantime I would strongly suggest that anyone intending to study any kind of healthcare related course enrols on the staff bank at their local NHS trust and works some shifts there. You will gain experience and knowledge at a very high rate and more importantly you will know what to expect when you eventually graduate and enter the NHS workforce.
Access to HE is not the sort of course you want to try to shortcut or approach as a kind of simple tick box exercise. It is aimed at preparing you for the demands of University study and so it is important you engage with it and develop yourself and your skills with this goal in mind.
Original post by nabzie
hey guys!

@nabzie
Hi, I've taught on Access to H.E for over 10 years so I can help.

Difficult question to answer in terms of progression to University in that the majority of students doing Nursing and Midwifery on Access to H.E have done their UCAS applications and sent them off by now for the Sept 2024 start, It is a very competitive area. If you have strong GCSE's in English and Maths that will push you up the pecking order, if you have Level 2 equivalents like functional skills you will be lower down it for the Universities which accept equivalent qualifications. If a local University does a January start you may be offered a place for that instead (if you meet the UCAS tariff points and interview well).

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
i completed mine last year in 7 months. The course is pretty easy and is possible if your personal commitments don't get in the way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending