The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University transfer

So after ****ing up my first year of A-levels, I dropped 2 subjects and picked up 2 new ones. I recently completed my second year in one of my A-levels and I kmow I've ****ed that one too but I'll find out for sure on results day in August. As for the two new subjects which I am due to start my second year in September, I have completed the mock exams and ****ed them up. I'm considering dropping out of sixth form and jumping straight into Open University and from there I want to transfer to a real uni (with only 1 A-level that I will receive in August). I want to know how long I'll have to stay in Open University until I can transfer and how I can transfer. I also want to know if this is a good idea or not.
Reply 1
I did 180 (240 but I deferred one module) credits in two years at the Open University and now I am transferring 120 credits to a brick uni. As I live in Wales it wasn't that expensive but I wouldn't do it in England, it's just not worth that money.

You will get very limited support, you will be more likely on your own and grading is a little bit too harsh. For example, I was doing 60 credit modules and it means that if you will fail one assignment or not score enough, you are instantly one grade down. Also, the final assignments are usually worth around 50% of your final grade so if you won't perform very well, it can take you from B to D.
You need to get at least 85% to get A and it's kind of impossible.

If you will have a problem with the assignment and email to your tutor, he will answer you to read student notes and will ignore further emails from you.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
If you have messed up your a levels maybe it's time to reconsider your study route. Maybe more work oriented ( vocational) course. Whilst level 1 courses do start at a relatively lower academic level to ensure access for a variety of student's previous knowledge, they will allow you to enter a brick university. It takes a lot of self discipline to study distance learning. What area do you want to study?
Original post by Gwr9999
If you have messed up your a levels maybe it's time to reconsider your study route. Maybe more work oriented ( vocational) course. Whilst level 1 courses do start at a relatively lower academic level to ensure access for a variety of student's previous knowledge, they will allow you to enter a brick university. It takes a lot of self discipline to study distance learning. What area do you want to study?

I would like to do a degree in Criminology and Sociology. There's a college in my town that offer access to higher education diplomas. Would that be a better option than doing Open Uni and transferring?
Reply 4
I like you, messed up my A Levels pretty bad. I enrolled a few years later onto the access to HE course and loved every minute of it, it's pretty intense but everyone is in the same boat and the support is great. After that I applied for Uni but needed to get back to work so enrolled onto an Open Uni course which I am also really enjoying.

In short, if you'd rather study online and work alongside then go with Open Uni, if you have the chance to do an Access and attend a brick uni and experience it, then go with that route. I guess it really depends on what your overall goal is!
Original post by AzzyArslan
I would like to do a degree in Criminology and Sociology. There's a college in my town that offer access to higher education diplomas. Would that be a better option than doing Open Uni and transferring?
Reply 5
Why didn't you just do a BTEC if you failed so bad in a levels the first time?
Reply 6
Original post by Xarao
Why didn't you just do a BTEC if you failed so bad in a levels the first time?

I made a u turn on the subjects. If I did BTEC it would've meant I'd have to do a BTEC version of my a-levels because my sixth form only offers I think 3 BTECs whereas it offers a vast array of different a-levels. My current subjects suit my future career path far more now. Before I was doing chemistry and biology and I would've had to switch to BTEC science or BTEC IT (health and social care is the third choice but I don't even class that as a choice for me) and most likely I'd be encouraged to choose BTEC science because it's the closest to chemistry and biology which I'd already done a year of.
Reply 7
And what degree subject you looking for?
Original post by Gwr9999
And what degree subject you looking for?

I've already told you.
Reply 9
You might be better off with an access course as it would only take you one year. Might be difficult to take 120 credits in first year at the OU. You would have to talk to student services. Good luck anyway
Reply 10
Original post by LittleX
I did 180 (240 but I deferred one module) credits in two years at the Open University and now I am transferring 120 credits to a brick uni. As I live in Wales it wasn't that expensive but I wouldn't do it in England, it's just not worth that money.

You will get very limited support, you will be more likely on your own and grading is a little bit too harsh. For example, I was doing 60 credit modules and it means that if you will fail one assignment or not score enough, you are instantly one grade down. Also, the final assignments are usually worth around 50% of your final grade so if you won't perform very well, it can take you from B to D.
You need to get at least 85% to get A and it's kind of impossible.

If you will have a problem with the assignment and email to your tutor, he will answer you to read student notes and will ignore further emails from you.

Good morning,

I know I’m late to the party here but I’m in a similar situation, at the OU about to sit my second year exams which will be 240 credits completed. Will I be able to transfer to a brick uni for the start of second year. I have no A-Levels and have been studying at a rate of 120 credits a year.

many thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest