The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey

If there's a mod floating about - just to say that ABH/New Hall now offers catered contracts too :smile:.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Does anyone know that if St Andrews is my insurance choice I have to apply for accomodation??
Does St Andrews have to be your firm choice in order to apply for accommodation?
Original post by slothonist
Does St Andrews have to be your firm choice in order to apply for accommodation?

I would think so, yes. They plan around all the application and if you haven't firmed your choice I dont think that you can be considered
Hi all, quick question on ABH - daughter just received an offer as returning student and it states what we think is a room number - anyone can tell me what an ABH room number looks like? Is there somewhere a plan of ABH with room numbers? Just need to check if that room might be anywhere near where they are planning to do all the building work early next year...

Also do they generally try to group returning students together in a corridor or are they mixed about with the first years?

Thanks!
Quick question: is it possible to get a shared room if you said you dont wanted to share one ? I dont mind having a roommate if it allows me to stay in a standard catered hall, but there's no option on the form to say you dont mind sharing one or not, and I dont know what I should put to increase my chances to get into my first choice (btw I'm an international student, don't know if that changes anything concerning my accomodation).

Thanks!
Original post by Lauraclassics
Quick question: is it possible to get a shared room if you said you dont wanted to share one ? I dont mind having a roommate if it allows me to stay in a standard catered hall, but there's no option on the form to say you dont mind sharing one or not, and I dont know what I should put to increase my chances to get into my first choice (btw I'm an international student, don't know if that changes anything concerning my accomodation).

Thanks!

From what it looks like to me, most of the standard catered rooms are shared so you'd probably be safer to put shared as your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSAdam
From what it looks like to me, most of the standard catered rooms are shared so you'd probably be safer to put shared as your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually Andrew Melville, Uni Hall and Regs all have quite a lot of single standard catered rooms for first years, and you can make Andrew Melville a specific choice, but if you're allocated to Sally's. Mcintosh and John Burnet you are more likely to get a shared room. The main issue is that in most years demand for single standard catered exceeds supply, so people may get their second or third choice or worse. Shared rooms seem less popular so it might increase the chances of getting standard catered if you say you're willing to share. Or you could take a gamble, put that you prefer not to share but make sure all your top choices indicate that you have a strong preference for catered - and then if you get shared so be it. Both my sons put single standard catered as their preference and both got what they wanted in the end. Accommodation services contacted my younger son when allocating rooms to see if he'd accept shared. He said yes he would, if that's what it took to get catered, but in the end they found him a single.
Original post by oldlady
Actually Andrew Melville, Uni Hall and Regs all have quite a lot of single standard catered rooms for first years, and you can make Andrew Melville a specific choice, but if you're allocated to Sally's. Mcintosh and John Burnet you are more likely to get a shared room. The main issue is that in most years demand for single standard catered exceeds supply, so people may get their second or third choice or worse. Shared rooms seem less popular so it might increase the chances of getting standard catered if you say you're willing to share. Or you could take a gamble, put that you prefer not to share but make sure all your top choices indicate that you have a strong preference for catered - and then if you get shared so be it. Both my sons put single standard catered as their preference and both got what they wanted in the end. Accommodation services contacted my younger son when allocating rooms to see if he'd accept shared. He said yes he would, if that's what it took to get catered, but in the end they found him a single.

Thats exactly what I was wondering about, thank you! Hope they call me too to give me a choice about it as I would rather share and get a catered hall than the opposite.
Original post by Lauraclassics
Thats exactly what I was wondering about, thank you! Hope they call me too to give me a choice about it as I would rather share and get a catered hall than the opposite.

It can't hurt to add a note to that effect on your form. What they don't like is people putting pleading notes saying 'please can I have Sally's?' but notes to indicate you are happy to be flexible would be more welcome. Or call them to say. I get the impression they're always happy to have volunteers for sharing
I know this thread is mostly about undergraduate accommodation, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how long postgraduate accommodation offers tend to take?
My offer for a Master just became unconditional this week, and I'm really hoping there will still be some postgrad accommodation available for me.
Original post by Elinen
I know this thread is mostly about undergraduate accommodation, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how long postgraduate accommodation offers tend to take?
My offer for a Master just became unconditional this week, and I'm really hoping there will still be some postgrad accommodation available for me.

Congratulation on your offer :smile:! I'm sure they'll get back to you quite fast because a lot of the offers got send out and the deadline for accepting or declining the accomodation is over so they should know how many rooms are left. What are you going to study?
Original post by BlueberryB
Congratulation on your offer :smile:! I'm sure they'll get back to you quite fast because a lot of the offers got send out and the deadline for accepting or declining the accomodation is over so they should know how many rooms are left. What are you going to study?

That sounds good, thanks. There were at least some options left when I applied for accommodation, so I'm daring to be hopeful...
I'll be doing a MLitt in Moral, Political and Legal Philosophy.

Update: It only took about a week after my unconditional offer to get an offer of accommodation :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I don't suppose anyone knows when accommodation offers for this year will be out. I got my offer last year and have taken a year out. I've heard end of July but still not been given an offer?
Accepted my offer months back but still havent received an offer on accomodation. Anyone else in the same situation? Starting to get concerned...
Original post by oheleanor
Accepted my offer months back but still havent received an offer on accomodation. Anyone else in the same situation? Starting to get concerned...

You can apply for accomodation through your student account
Original post by BlueberryB
You can apply for accomodation through your student account

Thats one of the first things i did. Got an email saying they'd received it months back. Just no offer.
Thats one of the first things i did. Got an email saying they'd received it months back. Just no offer.

Oh okay that's strange :/ have you contacted them again? Maybe your email went missing or something (happened to me with some other info I didn't receive)

I haven't received any offer either yet, and I applied before 30th June. Apparently, offers get sent out "throughout the summer" and will be sent to your university email account (I've only just set up mine, so there's nothing there yet).

According to here:

Allocation begins after the 30 June guarantee for students whose offer of a place is Unconditional and who have confirmed their acceptance with Admissions. Thereafter, allocations continue throughout the summer as and when final examination results are received and the status of individual UCAS applications changes from Conditional to Unconditional. Great care is taken to ensure that students who receive their exam results later in the year have an equal chance of receiving their first preference as those allocated at the start of the summer...

... If your son/daughter has received an unconditional offer to university his/her accommodation will be allocated in July. If he/she has received a conditional offer their accommodation will be allocated in late August.

So, hopefully the offers will come within a few days.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
I haven't received any offer either yet, and I applied before 30th June. Apparently, offers get sent out "throughout the summer" and will be sent to your university email account (I've only just set up mine, so there's nothing there yet).

According to here:

So, hopefully the offers will come within a few days.

I only just got my offer on the 18th, and have set up my student email and haven't heard anything yet. Not to worry yet though I'm sure it will come through soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending