The Student Room Group

Ocr gateway CHEM 4 5 6 markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gamer_44
The equation = volume of acid x concentration of acid = volume of alkali x concentration of alkali.

What I don't understand is where it says you have to use the 'end point'.

I understand what you mean but the volume of acid was continued beyond the end point?

the end point of a titration is the volume needed for it to fully neutralise, so it's the pretty-much vertical bit on a pH curve
not 100% but i think you use that value because when you actually do a titration you stop when the indicator changes colour and you've neutralised the solution and record that value
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
the end point of a titration is the volume needed for it to fully neutralise, so it's the pretty-much vertical bit on a pH curve
not 100% but i think you use that value because when you actually do a titration you stop when the indicator changes colour and you've neutralised the solution and record that value

Yea I understand what you saying but checking previous mark schemes the good thing is you will get marks for just having the correct formula. As its probably 3marks for calculation and 3 marks for the other part of the question.
Original post by Gamer_44
Yea I understand what you saying but checking previous mark schemes the good thing is you will get marks for just having the correct formula. As its probably 3marks for calculation and 3 marks for the other part of the question.

You were supposed to add the formula?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake

I agree with you:tongue:. The whole point of the experiment is to find out the amount of acid needed to neutralise the alkali. The rest of the acid had no use. Your calculating the concentration of acid needed to neutralise the alkali. By adding the other 20cm^3, your saying that the acid was twice as dilute as it was actually when neutralising if you get me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mxskaan
Oh no! How many marks was it? I'm sure you'll definitely get 1 at least.

What I did was mass/mr = mols
0.16g/2 (H2 =1×2)
This got me 0.08 mols
1 mol = 24000cm^3
Divide 24000 by 12.5 bc 1/12.5 = 0.08

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was 2 marks. Where did you get 12.5 from? I just did 24000/0.08...but I think I rearranged the equation incorrectly.
I thought you obtained your answer by doing 0.08 * 24000
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
It was 2 marks. Where did you get 12.5 from? I just did 24000/0.08...but I think I rearranged the equation incorrectly.

Aren't you supposed to convert 24000cm3 into dm3 ???????
Original post by ellamoon_22
steorotypical

¬¬
Original post by Wolfram Alpha

Yes you could alternatively do 0.08*24000.

Original post by happiness12

The answer box had the units cm3.

The units in the answer area were cm3
Reply 109
No because this paper is worth more than the other paper

Paper 1 ums
A* = 126
Paper 2 ums
A* = 144
Coursework ums
A* = 90

To get an A* overall you need 360 ums points

You can get over 126 in paper 1 and over 90 in paper 2.
Those values are the minimum for A*.

Paper 1 /140
Paper 2 /160
Paper 3 /90

It's harder with chemistry to get the cap but in biology and physics you only need to be in the mid 60s to get 160/160 on paper 2/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending