The Student Room Group

Vet School GCSE Help

Hi to anyone that can help,
I’ve just sat my chemistry paper 2 today gcse exam and I’m in tears honestly. All year I’ve been getting 8s and the occasional 7, but now honestly? I don’t even know if I’ll be able to get a 7 and I might get a 6.
I’m really disappointed as this isn’t a true reflection of my ability, and now I’m wondering if it’s even worth me pursuing my Vet dream? It’ll all ive ever wanted to do, and I feel lost now not knowing what to do without it. But I’m unsure if universities would even consider me with a 6?
For reference im predicted a 7 in maths and an 8 in bio. I know I haven’t got my true results back but I just feel so melancholic. Thank you
Reply 1
I think it’s best you wait until results day to find out what you actually get, otherwise you will overthink everything too much and it may not even be needed. I can categorically say there are vet schools that will consider you with a 6 in chemistry although most won’t. It’s more if you will be able to do chem AL with a 6 as some sixth forms are strict on the gcse grade to do it at AL.
But wait until results day and don’t stress yourself out, then you can go from there!
As above, I know it's really really difficult but try to forget about it on results day. Stressing won't change it now, and remember that grade boundaries usually tend to be relatively low for chemistry anyway - you don't need 100% so it's fine if you didn't know some stuff. If you get a 6, you could also resit in year 12 as a lot of people do resit their GCSEs to match for vet schools, and you could also look at some unis which will accept a 6 - the requirements vary a lot in each vet school and also there are things like gateway and prelim 6 year courses. Even if worst happens, this isn't the end of the road, you have options to consider. Unfortunately I can say that exam stress never goes away even at vet school (I never actually experienced it until I started) and so finding ways to manage it early on is good - focus on any other exams you are sitting and then distract yourself with doing things you like until results day, as much as it's easier said than done.
Reply 3
Thank you! I was looking at other vet posts and I saw that you got a 6 in maths. How badly did that effect your application? I’m now looking online and I’m distraught that I might’ve gotten a 6 now too, but honestly I don’t think I could resit it.
What exam board did you do for chemistry?
Reply 5
AQA
Original post by LucyJem
Thank you! I was looking at other vet posts and I saw that you got a 6 in maths. How badly did that effect your application? I’m now looking online and I’m distraught that I might’ve gotten a 6 now too, but honestly I don’t think I could resit it.

In my first application it majorly limited the places I could apply to, I only applied to Nottingham gateway, RVC normal and gateway (I withdrew from them though realising I’d hate to go there) and Bristol 5 year - not sure if the requirements are still the same now and I was also limited due to work exp issues etc though. Don’t apply anywhere where you don’t meet requirements for - that’s a very easy thing for them to reject you on when they are so oversubscribed. I got all rejection, reapplied but I had my A Levels at A*A*A by that point, so I emailed a few vet schools and they said they’d forgive the 6 in maths, but obviously that’s not guaranteed. If I went back in time I’d have probably forced myself to resit maths GCSE to not waste options.
Reply 7
Thanks! I’m slightly confused though, you said that Nots would forgive you for your grade 6 in maths because of your (amazing by the way) a level grades, however aren’t their grade requirements for maths a 6 anyway?
Original post by LucyJem
Thanks! I’m slightly confused though, you said that Nots would forgive you for your grade 6 in maths because of your (amazing by the way) a level grades, however aren’t their grade requirements for maths a 6 anyway?

No clue what they are now but at the time they wanted a 7 in either maths or physics, I had a 6 in both. The first time I applied I also asked if they’d forgive it when I only had predicted A Levels but my other GCSEs were decent, but they said no.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending