The Student Room Group

Get into medicine with no chemistry?

Okay so throughout yr 7-11 I got high grades my mocks I got all 9s when gcse came my relative died which was so unexpected and affected my gcse I got 5 and 6s the 6th form said I can do biology but not chemistry bc the grade for maths was low I got 5 but needed a 6 firstly the teachers themselves said I could do chemistry so I’ve been revising and all already ahead of the class I got over 90% in the baseline test out of no where they said I couldn’t take chem bc of that so now I’m in a dark place I’m already booking to resit my gcse maths and English was my highest grade of 8 so wasn’t thinking of resisting that I’ve already started work experience I get gcse are important for the subject you wanna do at 6th form but it’s not like I can go back I really want to do medicine someone please help me persuade them to let or if I should ask to put my name for the papers then I’ll just pay for chemistry alevel I know it’s competitive to do medicine but that’s the risk I’m taking I know I can get A*
Hey,

I understand the position you are in it must be difficult.

You can definitely take a level chemistry privately and apply to medical school.This can be done by registering yourself to a centre near your house so that you can take your exams. However, the issue is you will be doing 4 A levels which can be a lot of work. You need to be willing to put the time and effort in to be able to balance all 4 subjects
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Liya_123
Okay so throughout yr 7-11 I got high grades my mocks I got all 9s when gcse came my relative died which was so unexpected and affected my gcse I got 5 and 6s the 6th form said I can do biology but not chemistry bc the grade for maths was low I got 5 but needed a 6 firstly the teachers themselves said I could do chemistry so I’ve been revising and all already ahead of the class I got over 90% in the baseline test out of no where they said I couldn’t take chem bc of that so now I’m in a dark place I’m already booking to resit my gcse maths and English was my highest grade of 8 so wasn’t thinking of resisting that I’ve already started work experience I get gcse are important for the subject you wanna do at 6th form but it’s not like I can go back I really want to do medicine someone please help me persuade them to let or if I should ask to put my name for the papers then I’ll just pay for chemistry alevel I know it’s competitive to do medicine but that’s the risk I’m taking I know I can get A*

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 <- there are 14 medical schools that don't require A-level Chemistry
Original post by Liya_123

Might it be worth getting your parents involved and asking them to speak to the school. If you have already tried then its worth seeing if the school will listen to your parents. Especially if the chemistry teacher would let you do it.
You can do chemistry externally. Look into places near you where you could study it externally. Yes you would be doing 4 a-levels but if you are serious about medicine then id do it.
Also look to see what medical schools dont require chemistry. There might be some that dont require it.
I'm a year 1 med student at uea rn who didn't do chem 😁 so it's defo achievable!! I even got a 5 in chem GCSE haha
Reply 5
Original post by .765346777543
I'm a year 1 med student at uea rn who didn't do chem 😁 so it's defo achievable!! I even got a 5 in chem GCSE haha

Woow that’s amazing how did you get into medicine did you do foundation course
Hi, I know that this isn't ideal, but maybe you could ask to do chemistry as a fourth A-level that you would drop if your first year mocks aren't good enough?

I know that not all schools/ colleges allow 4 subjects, but it is worth a shot?
Reply 7
Original post by HannahPoppy
Hi, I know that this isn't ideal, but maybe you could ask to do chemistry as a fourth A-level that you would drop if your first year mocks aren't good enough?

I know that not all schools/ colleges allow 4 subjects, but it is worth a shot?

Could I drop anytime
Original post by Sunny6789
Could I drop anytime

It depends on your school/ college, but I think it is worth asking them to consider different options if you have your heart set on chemistry and had extenuating circumstances at GCSE.
Woow that’s amazing how did you get into medicine did you do foundation course

i applied to uea medicine with a gateway year but on results day got bumped up to normal A100 medicine due to getting 3 A* lol
Reply 10
Original post by .765346777543
i applied to uea medicine with a gateway year but on results day got bumped up to normal A100 medicine due to getting 3 A* lol

That’s so good which subjects did you do
That’s so good which subjects did you do

bio geography and pe, funnily enough PE has helped more with anatomy than bio 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest