The Student Room Group

Gateway Veterinary Medicine

Hi I want to apply for veterinary medicine but I got ABC in Bio, Chem and Physics at A level which is under what is needed. I was looking into gateway courses and also retaking physics but I wanted to ask if anyone has any idea how many gateway students most unis will take because if it’s not many then retaking and applying for the normal course will give me a better chance.
It is more competitive for gateway courses to my knowledge - I think at Nottingham it's about 20-25 students across prelim and gateway (vs 150 per September and April cohort for the 5 year), RVC and Bristol I think is pretty similar numbers. I would say retaking and applying for four 5 year courses gives you a better chance.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
It is more competitive for gateway courses to my knowledge - I think at Nottingham it's about 20-25 students across prelim and gateway (vs 150 per September and April cohort for the 5 year), RVC and Bristol I think is pretty similar numbers. I would say retaking and applying for four 5 year courses gives you a better chance.

Okay thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Gateway is possible but look on the websites of the Unis you want. Gateway is not just on grades but contextual offers as well. I just asked the head this morning if redoing Year 13 is allowed and he said rarely allowed. You can study alone at home for a year if you want to resit A Levels or maybe try another college. RVC Gateway is heavily biology based - my biology is very good so I think I would be bored on it. Gateway costs the same as any uni course so unless your rich try and avoid it as will still cost £9250 uni fees, accommodation and other expenses easily £20,000 + interest to be repaid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending