The Student Room Group

A-level Chemistry Revision Squad!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I know this is AS but really stuck any help/jints?
Direct titration

A student has read on a packet of aspirin that each tablet contains 250 mg of aspirin, and has decided to find out if this is true.

The systematic name of aspirin is 2-ethanoylhydroxybenzoic acid. Aspirin is a carboxylic acid and neutralises a cold dilute solution of sodium hydroxide to form a salt. This reaction is used to form the basis of a titration.

CH3COOC6H4COOH + NaOH CH3COOC6H4COONa + H2O

aspirin

1. Calculate the relative molecular mass of aspirin (2-ethanoylhydroxybenzoic acid). CALCUALTED 180 (1 mark)

The student decides to use this reaction in a titration to determine the mass of aspirin in each tablet.

She crushes four tablets, transfers them to a 100 cm3 volumetric flask, dissolving them in a 50:50 mixture of ethanol and distilled water (it is difficult to dissolve aspirin in pure water). Using a pipette she transfers 25 cm3 of this solution into a conical flask and titrates it against a 0.1 mol dm−3 standard solution of sodium hydroxide, using phenolphthalein as an indicator. The average titre is 14.70 cm3.

1. Calculate the mass of aspirin in each tablet. (4 marks)

Not sure where to start

1. Asked for mass which is moles x Mr
2. Moles = volume x concentration
3. Titration is a neutralisation reaction so the moles of NaOH will be equal to the moles of aspirin
4. Calculate the mass
5. Divide by 4 (as 4 tablets were crushed)

Give it a go
IMG-20161201-WA0004.jpg can anybody check over this for me please? Thanks
Im sad that this thread is so inactive :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Im sad that this thread is so inactive :frown:

Why?
Original post by Farmerjj
Why?

Because exams are drawing closer but no one seems to post here. I mean if i get stuck now i just make a new thread. We're supposed to help each other out. The maths thread is always so active compared to this one.....
Reply 845
Original post by kiiten
Because exams are drawing closer but no one seems to post here. I mean if i get stuck now i just make a new thread. We're supposed to help each other out. The maths thread is always so active compared to this one.....

This subforum isn't very active so making a new thread is good enough. Just follow the subforum and all chemistry threads will pop up on your My TSR page.
Can someone help me work out this questions cause i have no clue, thanks x

A 25.0cm3 sample of 0.0850 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid was placed in a beaker. distilled water was added until the pH of the solution was 1.25. Calculate the volume of the solution formed. (3)
Reply 847
Original post by ashpittawayx
Can someone help me work out this questions cause i have no clue, thanks x

A 25.0cm3 sample of 0.0850 mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid was placed in a beaker. distilled water was added until the pH of the solution was 1.25. Calculate the volume of the solution formed. (3)

What's pH?
Hi there is anyone able to help with this kp calculation 1.0 moles of nitrogen and 1.0 moles of oxygen are mixed an left to reach equilibrium if the value of kc is 0.0036 what mass of NO would be formed ?
N2-- 2N0
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how to work out the number of molecular ion peaks in question 4b) of the following paper:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20A-level.pdf

The answer is 5 but please can someone explain how?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest