The Student Room Group

Chemistry A-level?

I'm currently deciding what subjects to do for my A levels. I've already applied to most places already. For my three subjects I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Sociology; however, I'm starting to have doubts about Chemistry as I already lowkey hate it at GCSE and I'm barely scrapping 6s and 7s in topic tests and mocks.

I really want to give it a go, as I feel as though it will give me more career choices, but at what cost? I don't want to miserable at sixth form and I definitely don't want to fail Chemistry. So, what to do? Should I just go for it and put in the work and maybe aim for a at least a B? Or should I choose another subject where I have a better chance at getting an A?

Any advice would be appreciated.

(btw I'm most likely going to do something medical based(not necessarily medicine) but maybe pharmacy? or like a psychologist or something)
(also I'm aware most pharmacy courses require chem and bio, and I was also thinking that if I don't get an A, I could go for a foundation year before the actually pharmacy course)
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by rolypoly08
I'm currently deciding what subjects to do for my A levels. I've already applied to most places already. For my three subjects I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Sociology; however, I'm starting to have doubts about Chemistry as I already lowkey hate it at GCSE and I'm barely scrapping 6s and 7s in topic tests and mocks.

I really want to give it a go, as I feel as though it will give me more career choices, but at what cost? I don't want to miserable at sixth form and I definitely don't want to fail Chemistry. So, what to do? Should I just go for it and put in the work and maybe aim for a at least a B? Or should I choose another subject where I have a better chance at getting an A?

(btw I'm most likely going to do something medical based(not necessarily medicine) but maybe pharmacy? or like a psychologist or something)
(also I'm aware most pharmacy courses require chem and bio, and I was also thinking that if I don't get an A, I could go for a foundation year before the actually pharmacy course)

I had the same problem as you. I ended up going for it and choosing chem. Didn't enjoy the first couple weeks so I trialled economics and then english lit. Hated them even more. They do let u trial subjects so don't worry about what ur picking right now. I ended up sticking with chem even though I didn't like it. I do pharmacy now and still don't like chemistry which is crazy. But yea don't worry about ur subject choices at the moment, you have many chances to change them. Also if you wanna do a foundation year, you don't have to do chemistry as you're taught enough chemistry in the foundation year to be caught up with everyone who did the a level. Alsooo some unis accept a B for chem for pharmacy and ljmu even accept a C. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by dadadeedadada
I had the same problem as you. I ended up going for it and choosing chem. Didn't enjoy the first couple weeks so I trialled economics and then english lit. Hated them even more. They do let u trial subjects so don't worry about what ur picking right now. I ended up sticking with chem even though I didn't like it. I do pharmacy now and still don't like chemistry which is crazy. But yea don't worry about ur subject choices at the moment, you have many chances to change them. Also if you wanna do a foundation year, you don't have to do chemistry as you're taught enough chemistry in the foundation year to be caught up with everyone who did the a level. Alsooo some unis accept a B for chem for pharmacy and ljmu even accept a C. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, I feel way better about it now. If you don't mind me asking, did you find chemistry very difficult, and what grade did you get?(if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine)
Thank you so much, I feel way better about it now. If you don't mind me asking, did you find chemistry very difficult, and what grade did you get?(if you don't feel comfortable sharing that's fine)

I didn't revise at all. I only revised for the last 3 months before my a levels (please don't do this) and ended up getting a B which is what I was predicted with. Got into a russell group uni bc I had a contextual offer which allowed me to get a B in chem as opposed to an A. If you revise consistently you won't find it hard at all. It's easier than bio bc there's not as much memorisation. If you spend a bit of time trying to understand it then it becomes really easy. I was looking back at my a level paper the other day and I was acc shocked as to how easy it was. The jump from a level to the chemistry we're learning in the mpharm now is drastic. But yea, if you end up sticking to it you'll do great if you just consistently revise!!!!

I take chemistry and biology, if you choose chemistry and don’t like it at the beginning there is no harm in switching subjects, but I think if you don’t enjoy the beginning then the content is only going to get more difficult. I personally find a level chem interesting so it’s not too bad, it’s more of an application subject, you need to properly understand it, you can’t just memorise the textbook
Reply 5
Original post by dadadeedadada
I didn't revise at all. I only revised for the last 3 months before my a levels (please don't do this) and ended up getting a B which is what I was predicted with. Got into a russell group uni bc I had a contextual offer which allowed me to get a B in chem as opposed to an A. If you revise consistently you won't find it hard at all. It's easier than bio bc there's not as much memorisation. If you spend a bit of time trying to understand it then it becomes really easy. I was looking back at my a level paper the other day and I was acc shocked as to how easy it was. The jump from a level to the chemistry we're learning in the mpharm now is drastic. But yea, if you end up sticking to it you'll do great if you just consistently revise!!!!

Wow that's really impressive! Thank you so much for all the advice. I think will just give it a go and see how I do:smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Milliewest2
I take chemistry and biology, if you choose chemistry and don’t like it at the beginning there is no harm in switching subjects, but I think if you don’t enjoy the beginning then the content is only going to get more difficult. I personally find a level chem interesting so it’s not too bad, it’s more of an application subject, you need to properly understand it, you can’t just memorise the textbook

Thank you so much for the reply, I think I will definitely try it then and if I really don't like it I can always switch. Thanks for the advice!
Wow that's really impressive! Thank you so much for all the advice. I think will just give it a go and see how I do:smile:

Awe bless you!! I hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Don't despair, I know someone who may can help you. @5hyl33n has really good advice for students who are insecure to take chemistry at A levels or not.

Quick Reply

Latest