The Student Room Group

A- levels

Hi everyone, I have recently started year 12 and I am studying Biology, Chemistry and History. In GCSE chemistry I got a grade 5. In Biology, I got a grade 6 and in History I got a grade 7. I didn't really revise much for my GCSEs but for my A-levels I don't want to make the same mistake as I intend on going to University to study a course like Pharmacy or another course in the healthcare field and so I would like to start revising from the start. Has anyone studied these A-levels? Also, does anyone have any advice for revision for A-levels? Thank you very much!
I am currently studying different subjects to yourself but my advice definitely applies for biology and chemistry - tackle the tough bits early. I study physics and as that is another science subject based on facts, I found that not letting the topics you don't understand too well slip under your belt will really help. I made the mistake of not starting my revision sooner also and caught up on a lot over the summer and still have a lot. You really don't need to do a lot in terms of revision though - just figure out what it is you don't understand and then figure it out!
Also, making flash cards is a great way to revisit the bits you didn't understand and to reinforce the bits you did. A little that goes a long way :smile:

As for history, my boyfriend does the subject and he recommends staying organised and making folders early as possible. Also, making flash cards for the treaties and colour code them according to the monarch.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by student643
Hi everyone, I have recently started year 12 and I am studying Biology, Chemistry and History. In GCSE chemistry I got a grade 5. In Biology, I got a grade 6 and in History I got a grade 7. I didn't really revise much for my GCSEs but for my A-levels I don't want to make the same mistake as I intend on going to University to study a course like Pharmacy or another course in the healthcare field and so I would like to start revising from the start. Has anyone studied these A-levels? Also, does anyone have any advice for revision for A-levels? Thank you very much!

Hi, I've just done my A-level exams for biology and chemistry and personally, I would say that revising as soon as possible (i.e. not just for when you have a test) and regularly reviewing topics really helps (eg using the spaced repetition method). Also learning key words for biology using quizlet/ having quizlet sets for each topic really helped me especially when revising for exams/ improving exam techniques. Going through lots of exam questions for both bio and chem also helps once you've finished making notes/ flashcards. In general (probably also applies to history), making a list of all topics and writing down how difficult you find them on a scale from 1 to 10 can help to identify which topics you need to work on more as you go through your A-levels. Also just staying organised and on top of your homework, other deadlines and tests is really important as it can be easy to get overwhelmed with managing work. Also don't be scared to ask your teachers for help with any homework/ general questions about the content because they can give really useful advice not only about the course but about wider reading and your university applications as well! Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,
I've don't do a-level biology or chemistry but I do study history.
I would say the main thing is to keep on top of your notes/flashcards/whatever you use to revise because there is a LOT of content and teachers tend to move quickly through the course. In terms of essays, I'd say just to practise - don't worry if your essays aren't as good as you want them to be, they'll slowly get better over time if you try to apply any feedback you get. Try to practise your essays in timed conditions like you would in the exam, just so you get used to how quickly you need to write. But to be honest, at the start of year 12 mainly just focus on understanding and throwing yourself into the content. Hope this helps!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest