The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5400
Wow, that Dominiak guy looks sick.

The press conference system really irritates me at time - as the manager of Man United (2nd by 3 points, 2 games in hand), about to go up against Norwich (18th) in mid-February 2013 in the PL, I'm finding it strange that the match is being described as 'undoubtedly my biggest game so far this season'.
My PSG game finally clicking! I bought in quite a lot of players and spent a ridiculous amount of money but hey that's how I play the game :p:

My friendlies were a very mixed bag, draws, wins, losses but my start to the league was poor. DLWD so picked up 5 points from 4 games and thinking it was all going to go downhill..

However something has randomly clicked and im scoring on average, 3 goals a game and conceding 0.5 a game (ie every other game).

I brought Sturridge in on loan and he's been on fire, either scoring or providing assists but now everyone has started chipping in so it's great :biggrin:

No doubt I'll free fall at some point again but at the moment, loving the purple patch :biggrin: top of the league after 9 games.
Original post by Zerforax
My PSG game finally clicking! I bought in quite a lot of players and spent a ridiculous amount of money but hey that's how I play the game :p:

My friendlies were a very mixed bag, draws, wins, losses but my start to the league was poor. DLWD so picked up 5 points from 4 games and thinking it was all going to go downhill..

However something has randomly clicked and im scoring on average, 3 goals a game and conceding 0.5 a game (ie every other game).

I brought Sturridge in on loan and he's been on fire, either scoring or providing assists but now everyone has started chipping in so it's great :biggrin:

No doubt I'll free fall at some point again but at the moment, loving the purple patch :biggrin: top of the league after 9 games.

I did the same with Sturridge with my Newcastle game and he was my top scorer in the first season then bought him in the second and racked up ~20 goals in that season.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I did the same with Sturridge with my Newcastle game and he was my top scorer in the first season then bought him in the second and racked up ~20 goals in that season.

Yea I feel like I'm going to have to try and purchase him from Chelsea. Sow hasn't been great but I've barely given him minutes tbh..
Reply 5404
Original post by Mo-Amin
The press conference system really irritates me at time - as the manager of Man United (2nd by 3 points, 2 games in hand), about to go up against Norwich (18th) in mid-February 2013 in the PL, I'm finding it strange that the match is being described as 'undoubtedly my biggest game so far this season'.
I had two of those in fairly quick succession :p: Wolves (4th) vs Man City (2nd) was 'undoubtedly the biggest game of the season', then a month later during the press conference ahead of the midweek game against Blackburn I was asked if I'd be resting key players ahead of my 'big game' against Blackpool at the weekend (Blackpool are 20th and 11 points from safety with 9 games left to go)

Oh, I managed to win the Carling Cup :biggrin: Honestly have no idea how I managed it - I played a 4-5-1 formation (with DMC and AMR/L) and just before half time Steven Fletcher got sent off for a late challenge on Cristian Ansaldi. Somehow, though, in stoppage time in the first half I got a penalty (Dominiak was 'clearly impeded by Lucas Andersen' according to the match report) and Jamie O'Hara scored to take a 1-0 lead into the break . In the second half Arsenal turned very dirty, hacking my players left, right and centre; Mate Simao was injured by Alex Song and Yohan Mollo was injured by Vasilis Torosidis, but I held out to keep the 1-0 win. If they had scored then I'd have been in trouble because with Fletcher being sent off I played the entire second half without a striker, keeping a 4-5-0 formation because I felt against a team like Arsenal a stiffer defence would be better than a strong attack.
Although they notably didn't field van Persie, it was otherwise a pretty strong Arsenal side, and having had to go through Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal on the way to winning the cup, I'm delighted with that trophy :biggrin:

And the Premiership's rather interesting too. For about half the season Liverpool went on a massive winning streak, then they hit a real sticky patch in January/February, at one point winning just 1 game out of 6 (against Blackpool in the FA Cup, before losing to them three days later in the league :rofl:) and now Tottenham find themselves 8 points clear and I somehow am just 2 points off second place (:eek:). Spurs are top with 75 points, then Liverpool with 67, Man City with 66 and my Wolves team with 65...Man Utd are next with 60 and a game in hand. Good news is that even if I lose all 9 matches left this season, I've already secured European qualification and I can't finish any lower than 10th, but for me to be so close to second spot is amazing. I doubt it'll last, though - from my nine remaining matches I've got to play Spurs (1st) and three games in a row against Man Utd (5th), Liverpool (2nd) and Chelsea (7th). The others are against bottom-half teams, but those four games will definitely determine whether or not I get Champions League football next season.

...and another point about press conferences. I'm ****ing fed up with being asked about my feelings on whether David Moyes should remain as Everton manager. He's been getting stick in my game for as long as Steve Kean's been getting in real life at Blackburn. With two months of the season left, they're virtually assured safety even though they're 16th (18th is 10 points behind 17th and both 19th and 20th are a point behind 18th - if anyone other than West Ham, Norwich and Blackpool get relegated I'd be surprised). I've said month in and month out that I think the board should stick with him but I honestly don't care. Stop asking me about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5405
Original post by Dalimyr
Bed? Lazy bastard :hmpf:

In my game Man Utd brought in Arturo Vidal.
Mauricio Isla? Lars Bender? He's only a couple of years younger than Carrick but Ognjen Vukojevic may be worth a look as a relatively cheap replacement? Real Madrid and Barcelona both have a fair number of good (D)MCs, so perhaps see if you can pinch someone like Sami Khedira or Nuri Sahin?

LOL of course i meant the bench.

Thanks. I tried khedira but he had no intention of leaving madrid, who would? carrick is doing alright but he just feels like dead wood to me.
Reply 5406
Original post by KingMessi
So, finished season five. Won the league - well, walked the league - but got knocked out in the CL quarter-finals, which was frustrating...:rolleyes:

Neymar. :coma:

What position did you play neymar in?
Reply 5407
Original post by Dalimyr

Oh, I managed to win the Carling Cup :biggrin: Honestly have no idea how I managed it - I played a 4-5-1 formation (with DMC and AMR/L) and just before half time Steven Fletcher got sent off for a late challenge on Cristian Ansaldi. Somehow, though, in stoppage time in the first half I got a penalty (Dominiak was 'clearly impeded by Lucas Andersen' according to the match report) and Jamie O'Hara scored to take a 1-0 lead into the break . In the second half Arsenal turned very dirty, hacking my players left, right and centre; Mate Simao was injured by Alex Song and Yohan Mollo was injured by Vasilis Torosidis, but I held out to keep the 1-0 win. If they had scored then I'd have been in trouble because with Fletcher being sent off I played the entire second half without a striker, keeping a 4-5-0 formation because I felt against a team like Arsenal a stiffer defence would be better than a strong attack.
Although they notably didn't field van Persie, it was otherwise a pretty strong Arsenal side, and having had to go through Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal on the way to winning the cup, I'm delighted with that trophy :biggrin:

Must be destiny - Wolves have beat Man City in the semis to go to the final in my game!
Original post by JPsycho
What position did you play neymar in?

As a poacher, with sliders set to 'run with ball often', creative freedom at maximum, and mentality at maximum.
Reply 5409
:rofl: Class sticky on SI's forums...

this summer we will be publishing 'Football Manager Stole My Life', a book celebrating 20 years of glorious obsession.

And we need your help. Part of the book will involve your stories - not about how you won the Champions League with Fleetwood Town (nice one, though) but about how FM has broke out of the screen and into your life.

So far we have heard about:

- A recovering heart surgery patient who smuggled a lap top into the hospital ward, causing a medical emergency when his team scored a late equaliser in a derby match

- A student who tracked down his favourite non-league FM legend on social media to inform him that he was destined for the EPL and international stardom

- An FM 'intervention' when concerned flat-mates held their friend down and broke his disc after a 'lost weekend' on FM

Whatever your story, we'd love to hear it.
So far our favourites include: some borderline stalking of a favourite FM player; how FM turned a career in teaching into a life of hard labour; and a near-miss on the pools after FM predicted a weekend of results in La Liga
In the Sun newspaper, Jigsaw, a reporter, stated that his wife told him she was leaving because he played too much Footy manager and did not take any notice of her. He told her she was being unprofessional and he would decide if she went or not.
Oh, how I wish I could peek at this guy's email inbox, because anything you can imagine they could have been sent would probably only scratch the surface of what they've really been told :p:
AVB just got sacked on my FM game :awesome:

Saying that, I'm about to be sacked :cry:

I can't seem to draw this season, I either win by 2-4 goals or I lose by a few goals, no in between. Going through a terrible patch of form now too.
As a poacher, with sliders set to 'run with ball often', creative freedom at maximum, and mentality at maximum.

Is he the best player in the game, and how expensive is he?
Reply 5412
Original post by mevidek
Likely answer: No, and very :p:

Unless he gets a career-threatening injury or something, Lionel Messi is likely to be the best player in the game for years to come, but Neymar's good enough and has enough potential that he can set you back somewhere in the region of £30-40m, probably erring on the upper side of that range.
Original post by Dalimyr
Likely answer: No, and very :p:

Unless he gets a career-threatening injury or something, Lionel Messi is likely to be the best player in the game for years to come, but Neymar's good enough and has enough potential that he can set you back somewhere in the region of £30-40m, probably erring on the upper side of that range.

too much for my Milan team then :tongue:
Original post by mevidek

The best logically attainable starting player, I've found. Messi and Ronaldo aren't attainable, and if you nurture Neymar correctly he can score fifty goals a season consistently. I've never signed Gotze, so I don't know how good he becomes, and Hummels is brilliant, but that's it really. Niang is far cheaper and can become just as good, though. So can Sanogo.
Reply 5415

Thanks mate.
Sacked yet again on my PSG save attempt :awesome:

Got to the end of the season but finished 4th. Knocked out in QF and SF in the domestic cups and first knock out round in the Europa League.

I was going great for the first half of the season - scoring 3 goals for every one I was conceding. My win percentage was just over 70% and then I had an Arsenal-esqe collapse! No idea what happened but finished on 65 points when I thought I'd be looking at 80+

No idea though, I think I drew 3 games all season including cup competitions but everything else was either massive win or terrible loss. Was playing a 4-2-3-1 deep with balanced and on the counter.. :s-smilie:
AVB has been all over the shop on my save, come to think about it :moon: His lengthiest spell was at Everton :lolwut:
Reply 5418
Got back into my Newcastle game a little, swamped with essays atm, but i'm currently 7th whilst 6th, 5th are on the same points as me and 4th are 1 point above. Two games left to go. Wolves & Chelsea. Hopefully I can get 5th or possibly 4th should I get a victory at Chelsea. I score a lot of goals but my defence is fairly shaky at best. So that's what I'll be working on over the summer. Brought in some good regen's in my U18/Rsv's too.
Reply 5419
Original post by Zerforax
Sacked yet again on my PSG save attempt :awesome:

Got to the end of the season but finished 4th. Knocked out in QF and SF in the domestic cups and first knock out round in the Europa League.

I was going great for the first half of the season - scoring 3 goals for every one I was conceding. My win percentage was just over 70% and then I had an Arsenal-esqe collapse! No idea what happened but finished on 65 points when I thought I'd be looking at 80+

No idea though, I think I drew 3 games all season including cup competitions but everything else was either massive win or terrible loss. Was playing a 4-2-3-1 deep with balanced and on the counter.. :s-smilie:

Tbf in France you should be going very attacking with PSG as they have a lot of pace and a lot of creativity. You should look to control games and dominate them. Getting some sort of top striker would be the first priority obviously :beard:

Latest