The Student Room Group

give me 1 reason how video games are useful

give me 1 reason how video games are useful or make a positive impact (genuine question all good vibes just asking!! 🙂 )
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user1298371
give me 1 reason how video games are useful or make a positive impact

Video games do not seek to be "useful" or to "make a positive impact". Their purpose is to entertain.
They're fun. Communities from around them: speedrunners, modders, artists, cosplayers... They inspire ludicrous volumes of creativity and ingenuity. They're capable of telling stories impossible in any other medium. They're just great.
Reply 3
They would teach you how to answer your own question.
Another reason is they hone decision making/strategy.
Another reason is they tell stories in a way that involves the player to the maximum.

Teamwork some games require multiple players or as a multiplayer on the online world your collaborating with other games to achieve an objective or an aim.
Keeping your mind sharp can help keep Alzheimer's away.
Reply 6

Keeps thousands of bored young men off the streets and numb to their worsening situation, just a modern version of panem et circenses.
Reply 7

Employment - for the designers, developers, distributors, marketers, advertisers, retailers etc.

Thought I'd comment as I have a very specific memory that I was reminded of today.. weirdly. Games happened to introduce me to new words or concepts when I was young.. for example I played Pokemon Ranger: SoA taught me the word 'altruism' before I even read it in a book or at school..

So I suppose video games (like any media) can educate, even if that is not its main aim...
People whose mother tongue isn't English and are playing videogames in English language improve their skills. At least it helped me.
They inspire, whether that be creatively or otherwise.

Personally speaking, characters like Arthur Morgan and Kiryu are protagonists I can relate to on some level.
Reply 11
Help make good drone operators.
Original post by random_matt
Keeping your mind sharp can help keep Alzheimer's away.

In terms of educational games, that is without a doubt true - at least to sharpen your mind.

may inspire creativity
Reaction times increased!
Reply 15
They release endorphins
Original post by We Sink
They release endorphins

And oxytocin, the happiness hormone. What is a better use for a game than to make people happy!
Reply 17
It is entertainment.

The companies will make games and love their money. When you buy their games, you increase their profit.

I find them quite fun to play. Nice way to pass time in an enjoyable way.
turns school shooters into virtual school shooters
Game is game man

Quick Reply

Latest