The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740

Thank you! :smile:
Mooncup ladies, I need your help! It won't stay up, no matter what I do. As soon as I let go of it it just slides right back down. I know it's in right but my body is just pushing it right back out and it's driving me nutty. I need advice! I've tried twisting it to make sure it seals which it does but it still slides right back out. I cut off all the stem but can still feel it when I walk and don't know what else to do! I love it but it hates me apparently! I've got a fairly low cervix so the mooncup normally goes right over it but it's now not staying up like it used to do :s-smilie: Any advice?
Gah, reading this thread has made me really consider using one- I've known about them for a couple of years, but I've never had the guts to buy one and use it- they look so huge and I'm only little.

But I've just got a serious boyfriend, and I'd like to be able to sleep over his when I'm on, and I can't really justify a) messing up his bins and toilets with tampon gunk and b) accidentally having a string poking out in bed. Plus I leak a lot...

May pop into boots tomorrow morning and have a look. May be less scared when I see them in person, so to speak. I mean how big are they if they're in the palm of your hand? Eep.
Original post by skunky x
x

http://littlegreenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mooncup-on-the-left.jpg

http://www.mooncup.com/files/pics/new/opt/mooncup-hand.JPG

Both of those picture give you a good idea of how big they are. I was worried about the size of it at first, but it's honestly fine! Once you learn how to insert it correctly (which admittedly takes a fair bit of practise and patience) you can't feel it at all.
Original post by LostHorizons
http://littlegreenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mooncup-on-the-left.jpg

http://www.mooncup.com/files/pics/new/opt/mooncup-hand.JPG

Both of those picture give you a good idea of how big they are. I was worried about the size of it at first, but it's honestly fine! Once you learn how to insert it correctly (which admittedly takes a fair bit of practise and patience) you can't feel it at all.

Wow. That's not big at all. I guess it's jut the folding and stuff that you need to get right for easy insertion.

I remember the day I discovered tampons. I thought THAT was a good moment, but these look le awesome. Especially if when you have a lighter flow you can go all day.
Wow. That's not big at all. I guess it's jut the folding and stuff that you need to get right for easy insertion.

I remember the day I discovered tampons. I thought THAT was a good moment, but these look le awesome. Especially if when you have a lighter flow you can go all day.

I find that I can leave mine in all day even during the heaviest parts of my periods, when I used to have to change tampon 5 or so times a day. Much more convenient :smile:
Original post by LostHorizons
I find that I can leave mine in all day even during the heaviest parts of my periods, when I used to have to change tampon 5 or so times a day. Much more convenient :smile:

=O. I can usually leave mine 7hrs [regular tampons] so I will be sorted =]. Plus I get dryness problems [ew.] so should help that =].

Happy times. To Boots!
Reply 747

If the size of the mooncup scares you, or if it's too big, you can get smaller menstrual cups. I have a low cervix so find a MeLuna much better.
Original post by Juno
If the size of the mooncup scares you, or if it's too big, you can get smaller menstrual cups. I have a low cervix so find a MeLuna much better.

Can you find them in boots? I can have a comparing session if need be =].
Reply 749

Can you find them in boots? I can have a comparing session if need be =].

I don't think so. I bought mine from here, which also has charts comparing their sizes
Original post by Juno
I don't think so. I bought mine from here, which also has charts comparing their sizes

That's great- they're also cheaper... Decisions decisions!
Reply 751

That's great- they're also cheaper... Decisions decisions!

and they send you a free pen
Reply 752
Original post by hbandtr4eva
Mooncup ladies, I need your help! It won't stay up, no matter what I do. As soon as I let go of it it just slides right back down. I know it's in right but my body is just pushing it right back out and it's driving me nutty. I need advice! I've tried twisting it to make sure it seals which it does but it still slides right back out. I cut off all the stem but can still feel it when I walk and don't know what else to do! I love it but it hates me apparently! I've got a fairly low cervix so the mooncup normally goes right over it but it's now not staying up like it used to do :s-smilie: Any advice?

Are any of the holes blocked, so it might not be getting properly sealed? Seems weird that it used to be fine, and now it's not...but I can't think of anything that would be causing that. I don't know a massive amount about them though I guess, I've been lucky to not have any problems at all with mine! Perhaps you should just try a smaller cup though - a couple of posts ago Juno posted a link to a chart showing the different sizes of the other brands.
You can also email the mooncup people themselves - they might be able to help!
Just got my mooncup!
Had a dry run, but obviously it's easier when you're doing it properly- though I didn't find it hard to do overall- just need to trim my stem!
Really looking forward to using it now. Only a couple of days in theory!
Omg just got my mooncup. Have tried using it now, when I'm not on my period, and I can't believe how easy it is to insert! Just a few seconds, and done :biggrin: I'm finsing removing it a little trickier though, and I imagine I'll get pretty messy when I'm actually on my period... does anybody else find this?
Original post by Anonymous
Omg just got my mooncup. Have tried using it now, when I'm not on my period, and I can't believe how easy it is to insert! Just a few seconds, and done :biggrin: I'm finsing removing it a little trickier though, and I imagine I'll get pretty messy when I'm actually on my period... does anybody else find this?

It was a bit messy for me at first, but you quickly learn how to take it out without getting it everywhere :tongue:
Ah the old mooncup thread. Been a while since I posted here.

Still mooncupping after 2 years. I would never go back. Once or twice when I've been caught short I just wrapped bog roll round the gusset... Preferable to a pad. Once I brought another mooncup. Always useful to have a spare. The only time to use a pad for me would be after giving birth. which isn't going to be happening for some time.

I don't really find it messy at all. no more messy than tamps. Its best to remove it while sitting on the loo, hand under you so if it tips it just goes into the loo. Also helps if you have the sink within reach of sitting on the loo... I find I only have to empty mine twice a day. morning and night. 3 times on the 2nd (my heaviest) day... good idea to sneak into a disabled loo if you can for that... or just take a bottle of water or some wipes in with you.
I bought my ooncup a couple of days ago and tried it today. No matter what I did it just wouldn't go in.

I've never had anything up there so it was quit difficult to find my vajayjay. Would tampons be easier to insert?
Original post by Anonymous
I bought my ooncup a couple of days ago and tried it today. No matter what I did it just wouldn't go in.

I've never had anything up there so it was quit difficult to find my vajayjay. Would tampons be easier to insert?

Tampons would probably be easier than a mooncup initially, yes. Even after years of using tampons a lot of people find mooncups quite tricky to insert at first, so you're probably finding it much more difficult. If you still want to use your mooncp eventually, you should perhaps try using tampons for a few months until you're used to that, then try with the mooncup again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest