The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The 'Ask a current student' thread! (University of Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Do you see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and could it put me at a disadvantage when considering my application?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Do you see Travel and Tourism as a weak subject and could it put me at a disadvantage when considering my application?

What course are you applying to?

Is it A level or BTEC? Most Russel Groups tend to require A Levels.
Original post by corax
What course are you applying to?

Is it A level or BTEC? Most Russel Groups tend to require A Levels.

I'm hoping to apply for Modern Languages - Translation Studies Pathway and it will be A-level :smile:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I'm hoping to apply for Modern Languages - Translation Studies Pathway and it will be A-level :smile:

As long as you have the necessary requirement subjects, I don't see why it should be a problem- although it couldn't hurt to email the department and ask them :smile:
Original post by corax
As long as you have the necessary requirement subjects, I don't see why it should be a problem- although it couldn't hurt to email the department and ask them :smile:

That's very reassuring:smile: I'll do that, thanks for your help:h:
Hi I was considering doing my elective at QEH and have to approach a consultant to supervise me for the placement. I was wondering if anyone could give me any names of consultants that are excellent teachers and like getting medical students involved?

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by goldpanda
Hi I was considering doing my elective at QEH and have to approach a consultant to supervise me for the placement. I was wondering if anyone could give me any names of consultants that are excellent teachers and like getting medical students involved?

Thanks a lot :smile:

What speciality you looking at? I can ask some of the guys who've been placed there for clinical placements, I've not had QEH yet, but it's meant to be mental since its tertiary/quaternary care for somethings and it's so vast there's a ridiculous array of patients with conditions you wouldn't see elsewhere!
Original post by Yazmina776
Hi! Don't know if people are still using this- but I'd love to get a reply from a med student/someone who has lectures near the med school?

I'll be at Birmingham studying med next year and am torn between applying for accommodation at Jarratt Hall or the Vale as my top choice! After fresher's passes, is being closer to the medical school better than being close to the Vale?

Vale is where the social stuff is at and loads of medic's walk in from there. Jarratt there's a few medic's there and it's stupidly close like 10 mins? Up to you? I'd go for the social side and go with the vale :smile:
Original post by auuds
Hi guys,

I'm currently a student from Melbourne University going on exchange to Birmingham next semester. I noticed how short your semesters are compared to ours, just wondering if there is a such thing as a mid-semester break of some kind? Thanks ! :smile:

Pre clin Med, terms were 11 weeks with a reading week around week 7. We had no third semester per se as it was exams and we broke up pretty soon. First week of the sem usually was an intro then last few weeks eased off! Not all courses get a reading week and some may have a proper semester 3! I'd call up the faculty and ask or check the term dates on the uni website as they're published well in advance
Original post by shania.d.f
How is the medical course at Birmingham? and why did you choose it over any other university?
Also, what is the track team like?

It's regarded one of the best in the country and post grad outcomes are fantastic for UoB grads and they rank above average! Pre clin is pretty intense and is a bit of a slog but clinical teaching is widely seen as excellent and everyone here is pretty relaxed and helpful! Tonnes of medic sports and societies, it's the biggest MedSoc in the country and there's a super social life to be had!

Uni running team I believe ranked 2nd after Loughborough last year and a few GB athletes are scattered around but may be graduating. I would mention that we're getting a new sports centre this December and although we don't have a running track as present there's local clubs nearby and we will be getting one soon ish says he optimistically
Hello, I am not a UK student but Birmingham gave me a place at BA English Language and I get to stay in Maple Bank.
1. Is Maple Bank really that far away from the usual lecture room for English Language? I heard that Maple Bank can be quite far away...
2. Anyone who's going to study the same course (Q310)? Really need a buddy here.
3. Anyone who's staying at Maple Bank? :smile:
hey guys! i was just wondering if there was a lot of black people in the university of birmingham hahaha
or if there was a VERY BIG mix of ethnic diversiry
Original post by ChkATM
What speciality you looking at? I can ask some of the guys who've been placed there for clinical placements, I've not had QEH yet, but it's meant to be mental since its tertiary/quaternary care for somethings and it's so vast there's a ridiculous array of patients with conditions you wouldn't see elsewhere!

I would be happy doing any speciality that is keen to have students. I have found that my favourite placements have been when the doctors enjoy teaching and are passionate. Perhaps something that is fairly broad, maybe acute medicine, general medicine, a&e or paediatrics? Yes, I can imagine that there would be a lot going on there, which is one of the reasons I would like to do my elective there! If you could find anything out that would be great, thanks!
Reply 1113
I've just been given a place at Birmingham Uni but I've been given accommodation that i had never asked for and it's not owned by Birmingham Uni, it's called Liberty gardens, my question is how would i go about changing this to something more suitable like maple bank or tennis courts? i feel like liberty gardens is too far away from campus, and i want to be on the vale.
Original post by IoJo2
I've just been given a place at Birmingham Uni but I've been given accommodation that i had never asked for and it's not owned by Birmingham Uni, it's called Liberty gardens, my question is how would i go about changing this to something more suitable like maple bank or tennis courts? i feel like liberty gardens is too far away from campus, and i want to be on the vale.

Also been put here. Going to call up tomorrow (not sure who though...) and see if there is any way I can change. Please let me know if you find anything out and i will do the same :smile:
Original post by SnackAttack33
Also been put here. Going to call up tomorrow (not sure who though...) and see if there is any way I can change. Please let me know if you find anything out and i will do the same :smile:

Original post by IoJo2

Same here. I've phoned up and the best they can do is check again if I keep phoning. After some research, I thought it wasn't worth the hassle and I'll just book it.

I also wanted to be on the Vale, all of my friends going this year got the Vale, so being distant from there seems annoying. It seems like there are buses from almost right outside Liberty Gardens that go to the Uni, past the Vale. I think they come every 5-10min and only take about 15min to get to the Uni. I'm pretty sure there's travelcards you can get but I'm waiting to see if the Uni offers anything specific.

Funnily enough, I think even with a yearly travelcard, the cost of Liberty Gardens for a year is at least £1,000-£2,000 cheaper than someone staying at Mason, for example. (That was my first choice and where one of my mates will be going).

There's also a station very close, so hopefully the quickest way to get to Uni is by train (1 stop). It's also much closer to the city centre than the Vale, so anyone going to there will likely have to pass there.

It's also a gated site, so security looks to be much better than the Vale.

Hopefully this has saved time for you guys doing research. I remember waiting for the email yesterday and having my heart sink to see I wasn't even placed in University accommodation. I guess it's just the luck/unluck of the system though. You can still keep phoning and looking for a better placement if one opens up, but that's just going to be more stressful. Only worries I have are that it's a shared bathroom, either between 2 or 6 (I don't know yet, and I didn't want to share at all) and that it's quite far away (so you can't just pop to the Melt, for example, or quickly meet up with people. I hope it's not excluded from community activities too, that bothers me).
Hello, is there like an official university of Birmingham freshers facebook page? I have seen loads of them already and i'm just not sure which is the official/real one.
Original post by Dwittyy
Same here. I've phoned up and the best they can do is check again if I keep phoning. After some research, I thought it wasn't worth the hassle and I'll just book it.

I also wanted to be on the Vale, all of my friends going this year got the Vale, so being distant from there seems annoying. It seems like there are buses from almost right outside Liberty Gardens that go to the Uni, past the Vale. I think they come every 5-10min and only take about 15min to get to the Uni. I'm pretty sure there's travelcards you can get but I'm waiting to see if the Uni offers anything specific.

Funnily enough, I think even with a yearly travelcard, the cost of Liberty Gardens for a year is at least £1,000-£2,000 cheaper than someone staying at Mason, for example. (That was my first choice and where one of my mates will be going).

There's also a station very close, so hopefully the quickest way to get to Uni is by train (1 stop). It's also much closer to the city centre than the Vale, so anyone going to there will likely have to pass there.

It's also a gated site, so security looks to be much better than the Vale.

Hopefully this has saved time for you guys doing research. I remember waiting for the email yesterday and having my heart sink to see I wasn't even placed in University accommodation. I guess it's just the luck/unluck of the system though. You can still keep phoning and looking for a better placement if one opens up, but that's just going to be more stressful. Only worries I have are that it's a shared bathroom, either between 2 or 6 (I don't know yet, and I didn't want to share at all) and that it's quite far away (so you can't just pop to the Melt, for example, or quickly meet up with people. I hope it's not excluded from community activities too, that bothers me).

I'm feeling the same way as you. I didn't put Gardens down as my preference but got it today and I was devastated. I did some research and it doesn't seem too bad and I'm going to view it before I accept it. I wanted Ashcroft or Oakley Court, so gutted. I'm not sure whether to try get it though.
Hi,
I haven't been able to visit Birmingham. in your opinion, what type of student does the university attract? What is the general atmosphere/'vibe' like?Does the night life/social scene dominate?

Holding a Clearing place but concerned about whether I'll fit in - I much prefer a studious atmosphere to one that is extremly relaxed.
what area of birmingham dya live in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending