The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
It technically didn't open until 8am back then, but you could access it from 6.

Ah ok, I think I'll start my constant refreshing of Track around that time this year then. I already feel like I can't wait any longer so knowing earlier on results day would be great.
Reply 121
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Ah ok, I think I'll start my constant refreshing of Track around that time this year then. I already feel like I can't wait any longer so knowing earlier on results day would be great.

UCAS results (offers, not grades) are supposed to go live at 6am but due to the way computers work, it may take a while to update every server at UCAS to say that you can view your results.
When you log in to UCAS, their system goes to loads of different servers to find the information it should give you at that time, sends it to your computer, then saves a copy in case you ask for it again. This means that when you hit refresh, UCAS will send you a copy of what it sent you a minute ago. Their system will only update their saved copy of your results once every 6 hours.
This means that if you log in at 6:01am and your results haven't gone up yet, hitting refresh won't do anything to update it until AFTER 12PM. I'd recommend waiting maybe until 6:30 to log on. By then, hopefully there will be less people hitting refresh and UCAS will be able to show you your results.

Tldr: don't hit refresh on UCAS, it will only update once every 6 hours. Hitting refresh slows the site down for everyone. Wait a while before logging on so that their system isn't too busy to get you your results. If your results aren't there when you log on, they won't be there until after 12 so go to your school/college and get them.
Original post by lawlieto
Did you send it for a remark?

I didn't send my RE paper for remark only because I was worried if it went down. I did however recall it thinking I would continue the subject to A2 (which I didn't). The remark didn't really have anything "useful" i.e. examiner comments. Just the basics really, so yeah it wasn't ENTIRELY helpful.
I'm currently waiting for my AS results, and I am dreading it!

However, when I got my GCSE results, everything was alright until I read my science grade: C. I was one mark off a B which was the required grade to be accepted into Biology and Chemistry AS at my chosen college. I pleaded with admissions, the head of science, etc, and got my papers remarked, but it all stayed the same. It meant that I had to pick us two AS subjects that I am not really interested in, and it has been a really hard first year. :frown:
All these stories about how the teacher was rubbish and they left ect so i got a bad grade....

I know teachers are responsible for providing you with the info and getting you the grades to some extent but if i relied on my teacher's teaching alone i wouldn't even get a D. She basically hands me the content and i learn it myself.
Original post by Rigby16
All these stories about how the teacher was rubbish and they left ect so i got a bad grade....

I know teachers are responsible for providing you with the info and getting you the grades to some extent but if i relied on my teacher's teaching alone i wouldn't even get a D. She basically hands me the content and i learn it myself.

I understand that, but i struggled myself after loosing my psychology teacher at As and again at A2. Having to find the content yourself and knowing how to apply it is difficult alone, the reassurance a teacher gives helps build confidence in a subject.

I got a U in my As mock which was marked by a non psychology teacher yet ended up getting an A at As. However As is more just applying what you know, A2 has a vile structure and without a teacher i have no idea if my structure is right. Despite learning the content i may not get into my firm university because of this.

So i see where you are coming from but its not always the case..

Bring on the 18th 😂
Original post by Rigby16

yeh especially for alevels people need to realise that the work you do outside of lesson where you go over your notes, do past papers ect is where the actual learning takes place whereas your teacher is just there to provide you with the information and its up to you what you do with it. like for psychology our teacher would just bombard us with various studies and you'd have either the people who would think they have to remember everything and so ended up basically giving up when it came to exam time vs those who decided to be organised and select which info they were going to learn for the exams and thus were actually prepared. my english lang teacher was pretty shocking given she just read from a powerpoint and we even played word games like 4 in a row but with words leading up to the exams however I took it upon myself to download someone else's revision notes from TSR and also found a decent powerpoint another teacher had created from TES ( website for teachers to share resources ) and so my revision and learning came from these but of course the people who get D's and E's will blame X teacher for not effectively preparing them for the exams come results day ....
Original post by Abbey15
I understand that, but i struggled myself after loosing my psychology teacher at As and again at A2. Having to find the content yourself and knowing how to apply it is difficult alone, the reassurance a teacher gives helps build confidence in a subject.

I got a U in my As mock which was marked by a non psychology teacher yet ended up getting an A at As. However As is more just applying what you know, A2 has a vile structure and without a teacher i have no idea if my structure is right. Despite learning the content i may not get into my firm university because of this.

So i see where you are coming from but its not always the case..

Bring on the 18th 😂

try not to panic. there is no ' set structure ' for psychology essays that examiners are looking for. most students will just write their 'outline' e.g. describing the theory and the stages, and then will follow this with studies ect/ other research which is then evaluated, and so the examiner will clearing see where the A01 marks come from and the A02/A03 marks come from, whilst others may integrate their outline and evaluation so their essay flows better... but as long as you wrote clearly and use paragraphs for each key description point/ evaluation point or even better if you used discourse markers such as ' therefore ' ' firstly ' furthermore ' then your writing will hit the top band as your essay suggests a ' clear line of argument ' but otherwise you can still access the top band given you give enough detail and accuracy in your answers so the actual content on the essays has more weight than the layout itself :smile: I'm sure you'll get your A grade overall !!
Year 11 results for Maths and English Language, so I was already crying before I opened my results cause I knew I had failed maths. Opened the envelope to find I'd gotten an E in maths which made me cry more, because everything was blurry I thought I'd gotten a D in English (of course now I'm sobbing at this point). My friend grabs me and just goes "Jojo it's a B!", needless to say I wasn't included in the photos the school were taking of us receiving/opening our results. 😂
Original post by Rigby16

Original post by fefssdf
yeh especially for alevels people need to realise that the work you do outside of lesson where you go over your notes, do past papers ect is where the actual learning takes place whereas your teacher is just there to provide you with the information..

Tbf this doesn't apply to everything. Some subjects are notoriously difficult to pass only using pass papers/text books with 0 teaching assistance. E.G Chemistry or History.

On the otherhand there are subjects where you don't really need teachers at all. I got an A in biology unit 1 last year despite hardly looking at it until a month before the test when I was still getting E's. I just spent each day doing questions until the exam came. Some subjects are literally about learning the mark scheme instead of worrying about detailed content
(edited 7 years ago)
I messed up my AS exams as I freaked out about the music exam, and then didn't revise properly for chemistry or biology, even though I knew I wanted to drop music, as the teacher hadn't properly taught us AS (hence the freaking out) , so I didn't trust him for A2 as well. I got C in drama, and then E in everything else. I then had to go to my work experience placement, where I was also doing a showjumping competition. I came 8th out of 8 in that, so that wasn't one of my best days
Original post by fefssdf
try not to panic. there is no ' set structure ' for psychology essays that examiners are looking for. most students will just write their 'outline' e.g. describing the theory and the stages, and then will follow this with studies ect/ other research which is then evaluated, and so the examiner will clearing see where the A01 marks come from and the A02/A03 marks come from, whilst others may integrate their outline and evaluation so their essay flows better... but as long as you wrote clearly and use paragraphs for each key description point/ evaluation point or even better if you used discourse markers such as ' therefore ' ' firstly ' furthermore ' then your writing will hit the top band as your essay suggests a ' clear line of argument ' but otherwise you can still access the top band given you give enough detail and accuracy in your answers so the actual content on the essays has more weight than the layout itself :smile: I'm sure you'll get your A grade overall !!

Thankyou😄, i needed some reassurance haha! Hmm i hope so i need atleast a B 😣 id be less worried if i didnt forget some researchers names 😑 good luck!!!
Original post by Abbey15
Thankyou😄, i needed some reassurance haha! Hmm i hope so i need atleast a B 😣 id be less worried if i didnt forget some researchers names 😑 good luck!!!

Names don't matter as long as you make it obvious who it is your talking about and also the grade boundaries are very very low so it is not rocket science to get a B ; I'm sure you'll get that grade !
Oh gosh, this thread is giving me heart palpitations. My sixth form is horrible as everyone HAS to open their results in one room before they can leave. It's so bad because it's suffocating and really horrible seeing different reactions around you - especially if you've not done well, you're forced to watch all the people who got amazing grades and aren't even modest enough to keep it to themselves a little. Not great for me and my anxiety 😩

AS was horrible for me - I initially got ABCC and had the biggest breakdown and locked myself in the bathroom. My marks eventually went up to AABC (History remarked and went up by 7 whole marks so C to B, and I retook a Psychology unit so went from B to A). Now I'm an idiot and kept the C subject on for A2 (biology) because I initially wanted to do Psychology at university and thought a science subject looked better.

Fast forward a year to A2 and I got A*BD and was sad but didn't have as strong a reaction as I had decided I wanted to take a gap year and could just retake a Psychology (the B) unit and Biology (the D). I also decided a few days into my gap year that I wanted to switch to English Lit at university as English has ALWAYS been my strongest and favourite subject. This meant that I didnt need to take Biology A2 and should've dropped it 🙃

Fast forward another year after resitting Psychology PSYA4 and all of A2 Biology and just HOPING I got into Leeds. To make it worse, my offer is AA which would make it A*AA overall, even though Leeds normally wants AAA for Eng Lit. So that means I need to go from a D to an A in Biology 🙃 AND I know I was definitely eligible for Acces to Leeds, but my sixth form were sh*t at supporting me over the gap year and never responded so I didn't apply. Basically, my whole A Level experience is a horror story 👍🏻
Well, good luck with your GCSE results everyone! And well done to those who got good grades at A Level.

Latest