The Student Room Group

When do Unis lower clearing grades (if at all)?

I remember Reading offering CCC for law last year but right now, in clearing, it's AAB.

I assume if/when unis drop their grades, it's on/after the 17th when they know exactly how full (or not) the course is?

Thanks.
Vacancies and requirements will change throughout July and August.

Just because they asked for CCC last year doesn’t mean that they will drop their requirements this year.
Original post by PQ
Vacancies and requirements will change throughout July and August.

Just because they asked for CCC last year doesn’t mean that they will drop their requirements this year.

I realise that - it was an example. So it might be worth a daily check to see if they have lowered. I'm pretty sure the RG unis entry requirements remain the same as they are advertised now though!
Original post by jimmybonds007
I remember Reading offering CCC for law last year but right now, in clearing, it's AAB.

I assume if/when unis drop their grades, it's on/after the 17th when they know exactly how full (or not) the course is?

Thanks.

Universities wont know exactly how many spaces they will have spare until results day. They will then make a decision about lowering grades. Just because a course was lowered last year doesnt mean it will this year
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities wont know exactly how many spaces they will have spare until results day. They will then make a decision about lowering grades. Just because a course was lowered last year doesnt mean it will this year

Thanks. That's what I thought.

Also, do they all still have old fashioned call centres via telephone on results day? I read somewhere that some are online forms/social media? That could mean a delay in a verbal offer??
(edited 8 months ago)

Also, do they all still have old fashioned call centres via telephone on results day? I read somewhere that some are online forms/social media? That could mean a delay in a verbal offer??

As far as I know universities will be accepting telephone calls. I would be surprised if they arent. @McGinger @Admit-One @PQ Do you have any info re this.

Many (most?) still have a call centre, at least from results day. Some use a web form on the run up for people to express interest. A few use the form to receive clearing apps but it’s not the quickest process so I wouldn’t recommend it from AL results day as you could be missing out on places elsewhere whilst you wait for a response.
The forms are good for applicants from outside the UK - saves international phone calls

Also if you’re having trouble getting through to a university on the phone (we all know the horror stories of universities losing phone lines on results day) then it’s worthwhile instead of wasting time.

One thing though - please don’t fill in the form AND phone up. It’s double the work and won’t speed things up. If you do phone up after filling in a form then say that up front so the person on the phone can pull up your details from the form.
Another reason reason the forms may be useful for international students is that clearing phoneline staff are often temps who are not familiar with the less common qualifications. It gives time for a member of admissions to review it.
Reply 9

Thanks.

I know you only used Reading as an example, but it's common for mid range unis like Reading to quote high grades like AAB right up to A level results day (or a couple of days before maybe) and then suddenly drop to something like CCC.

So keep checking the websites of the unis that interest you, especially around Results day.
Thank you everyone.

My first choice is Manchester and the course is in clearing most likely because it's Politics with Russian and I suspect Russian is very unpopular right now :smile: if a course is in clearing (especially one with Russian in it!), do you think there's more of a chance of some leniency on grades!? (offer is ABB).
(edited 8 months ago)
Thank you everyone.

My first choice is Manchester and the course is in clearing most likely because it's Politics with Russian and I suspect Russian is very unpopular right now :smile: if a course is in clearing (especially one with Russian in it!), do you think there's more of a chance of some leniency on grades!? (offer is ABB).

Yes. They’d rather take near miss applicants than clearing students. More likely to finish the course.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes. They’d rather take near miss applicants than clearing students. More likely to finish the course.

I just read that they prefer people who firmed them over gambling with clearing.
I just read that they prefer people who firmed them over gambling with clearing.

That is basically it. If you wait for clearing you might not fill places so it is in the universities interest to use at as a last resort. Any reduced grade a university offers in clearing will be accepted to a student who has applied they. They will have a limit as to how low they will go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending