The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tut.exe
You do guys know that if the government decides to become a repbulic the royal family estate will be retained by the royal family?

Proof?

I've read, though its the Republic, that the Crown Estate belongs to Parliment at best and thus would still be retained by the public should the country go to a Republic. As I say, I don't mind seeing direct evidence to the contrary.

She doesnt just sit in her ass with massive wealth you know.

Did I say she did, or have you just moronically made up a faux argument which you yourself have then retorted? She may do work, but she also gets paid by the taxpayer for that work (as well as having every need she or her family could ever have in this world taken care of). A £60m yacht is not needed on top of all that, particularly in these austere times :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Beebumble
So the left are 'loony' for wanting to give money for people to survive but wanting to spend billions to buy a rich old woman a yacht is perfectly normal.:s-smilie:

The "raving right" strikes again

:wink:
Original post by Marc Fiorano
That would be one yacht I would not be disappointed about if it were to sink. Preferably with her in it.

Hire the captain of the Costa Concordia...
Reply 83
Thats the way of monarchy, get democracy if you want to stop those kind of things.
Original post by Steevee
This debate has been had manh times on TSR, the outcome is always the same. Neither the Government nor the Crown can independantly claim the Crown Estates, that said, the Crown is under no obligation to keep to the agreement made years ago that benifits the Government far more than them.

Herp Derp. Guess spending x on EMA meant we couldn't spend it on hospitals, damn students denying us our healthcare! Spending x amount on outreach schemes meant we couldn't spend it on hospitals, damn youths killing my grandparents! If you honestly believe the NAtional Budget is so simple I;d advise you to go back to Primary school where you belong.

Lol wut?

Even EMA and outreach programmes are money better spent than buying queenie a £60m yacht.
Lets make it so the public can voluntarily donate money, then we will see how many people of the country care about the royal family?
Reply 86
You've paid for it in one go if you manage to sell Saudi a bunch of fighter jets by hosting a party there.

So for me it seems like a good investment.
Reply 87
Original post by rockitrosie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

So it's all very good saying "oh there's tough times, we can't afford anything anymore, yadadadada" yet they can afford a goddamn boat for the Queen?

I get it's the Diamond Jubilee and all, but if we're all in this together than surely she can accept something a little less...costly, given the difficult times and all?

Interestingly, the old yacht Britannia doubled as a hospital ship (although it was never actually used as one) so it had a military purpose as well.
Shelter could do with that £60m. I imagine it would help a lot of homeless people.
Reply 89
Original post by internet tough guy
Ermmm, how?

The royal wedding which you described as having a sky high approval with over a billion viewers and brought in many thousands of tourists, had actually contributed to slowing down the economic recovery (albeit slightly).

And yet it was a global event. It put the UK on the forefront of minds the world over. And you can't put a price tag on that. And once again, the Wedding continues to be a toursit attraction.
Reply 90
Original post by Beebumble
Shame they don't take this approach when wanting to put money into the NHS or giving people essential benefits or funding education.

And now I keep getting boat adverts.:colonhash:

Given that they spend £90Billion on education, £120Billion on the NHS, and £200Billion on welfare and pensions, they quite clearly do take that approach toward the welfare state.
Reply 91
The Royal Yacht isn’t something for the RF to just have jolly’s on, it serves a diplomatic purpose. The last time it was used was the 1997 handover of Hong Kong and the foreign ambassadors (including the Americans) simply couldn’t understand why the Labour government was scrapping it. It’s a floating luxury hotel/conference centre/restaurant manned by the Royal Navy and has been used as such for over a hundred years.

We should have one, but Gove has made a politically insensitive move by asking for one at a time of cuts.
Reply 92
Original post by LFCdanny08
The Royal Family make me sick. They are the most filthy, degenerate people you can imagine. All they do is take our money so they can live in their palaces and all that. Disgusting.

Yet they have done more for this country than you have ever done and probably ever will.. Also, they give back more than they receive, look at figures first!
Reply 93
Original post by MirandaPanda
Approval rating? It led to a substantial economic loss :rolleyes:

I've also yet to hear a reply from you of the absurd claims about the Olympics and indeed the benefits bill in this country.

?

Original post by MirandaPanda
Not enough to cover the more than £20m we taxpayers had to fork over for the wedding in security costs, or the £5bn the wedding cost us as a whole.

Facepalm indeed :rolleyes:

You can't measure international standing by wealth :rolleyes: These things aren't about pure cash, using that argument it's clkearly not worth having a benifits system, it doesn't make money. Free school meals, public transport vouchers, outreach schemes, non-lifesaving surgery on the NHS, the list goes on. Funny, how you would make this purely about cost and ignore all the other benifits, and yet if you do the converse I'm sure all the causes you support are far less worthy.
Reply 94
Original post by rockitrosie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

So it's all very good saying "oh there's tough times, we can't afford anything anymore, yadadadada" yet they can afford a goddamn boat for the Queen?

I get it's the Diamond Jubilee and all, but if we're all in this together than surely she can accept something a little less...costly, given the difficult times and all?

Make a voluntary anonymous fund. See how much the people of Britain really want a monarch to have a boat. Would she even use it??
Cameron has said it won't be happening.
I find it unbelievable that the same people who are suggesting there is no money left and we need to cut spending on VITAL things are the same people who are defending this!
Original post by CyclopsRock
she was born the Queen and she cannot choose to be anything else. Hand in hand with not having to worry about there being a roof over her head comes the knowledge that her entire life is set out for her, with little control over it herself. Blah Blah.

If it is that bad she can abdicate you know.
She does have a choice in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by WelshBluebird
If it is that bad she can abdicate you know.

Maybe she just feels that she has a sense of duty to serve her nation, no matter how hard it gets, engrained by her family upbringing? :rolleyes:
Reply 99
If she wanted a god damn yacht, she would have bought herself one.

Why the christ would she want a yacht?

Latest

Trending

Trending