The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Feb 2012 W100 people over here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks Hexe,

I just read on somebody elses post that I could prebook more than just 1 course is that right?
Have you studied this course already or are you gonna start next year as me?
I am just a bit worried that it will be too hard because I dont know anything about law but I am very interested in it.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Original post by ebbajay
Hi, wanted to introduce myself.
I am ebba, 33 and will be studying w100 in february.
Has anyone bought the books already?
Has anyone booked more courses for september 2012?

:hello:

I wanted to register for W200 understanding Law as at the moment I'm not working & can study full time but in 6 months that will (hopefully!) change & I wanted to get a head start as quickly as possible but all I can see on the website is that the next course starts in Feb, it doesn't say about the next one after that. I don't mind the 2 overlapping a bit but I think signing up for 2 at the same time is a bit much!! Plus it depends on funding. I managed to get funding to cover the full cost of W100 but it's only £820 whereas W200 is £2130.00 so if I can't get funding for a substantial part of that cost then I'll need to save up for it & that will be tricky to say the least! I need a lottery win at the moment to be honest to cover everything I need to!
Reply 22
Original post by ebbajay
I am just a bit worried that it will be too hard because I dont know anything about law but I am very interested in it.

I felt like that till I had to deal with a heck of a lot of legal eagles this year & realised half of them were complete flaming idiots! :biggrin:
Reply 23
thanks oppro.
What degree are you aiming for?
Reply 24
Also oppro,
did you get an email today from ou regarding register for w100?
I would think that they sent it out to everyone who booked a place on a course and had to wait for the ok for the funding?I did get the funding letter via email and clicked the link to register. So I hope I have done it all correctly. Did you get the mail?
Reply 25
Original post by Oppro
:hello:

I wanted to register for W200 understanding Law as at the moment I'm not working & can study full time but in 6 months that will (hopefully!) change & I wanted to get a head start as quickly as possible but all I can see on the website is that the next course starts in Feb, it doesn't say about the next one after that. I don't mind the 2 overlapping a bit but I think signing up for 2 at the same time is a bit much!! Plus it depends on funding. I managed to get funding to cover the full cost of W100 but it's only £820 whereas W200 is £2130.00 so if I can't get funding for a substantial part of that cost then I'll need to save up for it & that will be tricky to say the least! I need a lottery win at the moment to be honest to cover everything I need to!

I really wouldn't recommend doing W200 at the same time as W100 - you really need to do W100 first to get used to how the OU works, you'll struggle on W200 if you don't already know the system!

If you're eligible for the full financial award (£1230 I think it is?) then you'll get the full cost of one Law course per year funded, as they give you an extra grant top-up to cover the extra expense (Law and Business courses are more expensive than other OU courses). Not sure what the situation is if you're only eligible for part of the full grant though.

The LLB 60 point courses (W100, W200, W201, W300, W301) start every year in February :smile: 3 of the 30 point optional courses (W221, W223, W224) start every year in November, and 1 of the 30 point optional courses starts every year in May (W222).
Reply 26
Original post by ebbajay
Thanks Hexe,
I just read on somebody elses post that I could prebook more than just 1 course is that right?

Hi again ebba,

I'm studying science with the OU so the course types, lengths, points, costs etc are all different to Law. I just have a "little" experience of the funding and registration processes now :colondollar:

If you're really worried about lack of knowledge why don't you have a look at the Openings course for Law http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/y186.htm before starting W100? It might give you some "needed?" background knowledge and would still qualify you for the transition fee arrangements if that's a concern.

However, Level 1 courses have been designed for people of all backgrounds and abilities and there should be plenty of tutor support if you require it... and then of course there's always alawhisp if you're REALLY stuck :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by ebbajay

I've done this course - it's not that difficult, it eases you in to OU study and it explains some of the principles of Law in a straightforward/simple way. You can find some of the module content on OpenLearn (the courses that are W100_#). That'll give you an idea of what it's like, but don't stress it, honestly :smile: The difficulty comes later! :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by ebbajay
Also oppro,
did you get an email today from ou regarding register for w100?
I would think that they sent it out to everyone who booked a place on a course and had to wait for the ok for the funding?I did get the funding letter via email and clicked the link to register. So I hope I have done it all correctly. Did you get the mail?

The last I had (apart from newsletters) was an email on the 13th Oct saying I'd been awarded financial support to cover the cost of W100 & need to complete the registration process, which I did & then got a letter a few days later saying I was all signed up & ready to go & all course materials would be sent out in January.

For a taster of W100 look here http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=2943

ETA: Houston we have a problem, just taken me 20 minutes to read the introductory paragraph, the outlook is bleak. But then again Get Him To The Greek is on telly & I love Russel Brand so...

Note to self: TV must be off when studying, especially when there are very sexy men on screen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Oppro
ETA: Houston we have a problem, just taken me 20 minutes to read the introductory paragraph, the outlook is bleak. But then again Get Him To The Greek is on telly & I love Russel Brand so...

Note to self: TV must be off when studying, especially when there are very sexy men on screen.

Can't agree with Russell Brand being sexy, but can agree that you need to set aside some time without distractions to study! :tongue:
Reply 30
I registered last night, but they said someone on their system had similar details to me :s-smilie: so someone needs to check it all and then contact me within 48 hours or something.
Reply 31
Oooh weird... you sure you haven't registered before then? :hmmmm2:
Reply 32
Original post by Hexe72
Oooh weird... you sure you haven't registered before then? :hmmmm2:

Yep!
Unless they have people on their system that have generally applied for uni before.
Reply 33
Don't sweat it in that case... they'll be with you shortly and you can get on with it as normal :wink:

At least they have a system that stops you re-applying if you've already done it once :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by Oppro
In all honesty - the divorce! In the last 18 months I've had to deal with so many various orders & battles & I've actually really enjoyed researching it all & going to court, making applications & arguing it all. It's really fired me up & being able to help friends with some of their battles, I find it really interesting. Plus the amount of money I've paid out to solicitors when I have had to use them - my god if they're making that much out of just me what the heck are they making per annum off everyone?? I want some of that thank you! :biggrin:

The biggest misconception of them all - the workers who are actually doing the billing get to see the money! That'll be the partners who are receiving most of that. Us mere juniors can bill our time out at nice rates per hour, but we don't see a lot of it :smile:

Good luck and keep with that dream, because once you get to the other end, the stark realities of how difficult it is to break into will all become clear (but of course they don't want to tell you that in the glossy brochures!)

Oh, and don't forget to budget about £14,000 for your Legal Practice Course either - currently it's about 4,000 training contracts for about 8,000 people chasing them so funding for that is in no way guaranteed!)
Reply 35
Original post by Kyr

Good luck and keep with that dream, because once you get to the other end, the stark realities of how difficult it is to break into will all become clear (but of course they don't want to tell you that in the glossy brochures!)

I'm currently living hand to mouth on £90 a week for me & my daughter & all bills & car in one of the most expensive suburbs in the UK. Anything will be better than this!!
Reply 36
Got an email today with my username and such in it, so I guess they figured out that I haven't registered before! The finance application form thing is apparently unavailable until 5am though, sigh.
Reply 37
Original post by Smoosh
Got an email today with my username and such in it, so I guess they figured out that I haven't registered before! The finance application form thing is apparently unavailable until 5am though, sigh.

Glad you got it sorted and welcome to the OU :smile:

Don't worry about the finance it won't take too long either :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by Oppro
I'm currently living hand to mouth on £90 a week for me & my daughter & all bills & car in one of the most expensive suburbs in the UK. Anything will be better than this!!

I know Guildford, it's reasonably local to me and I did my LPC at the CoL there :smile:
Reply 39
I'm still in the throes of getting my financial support form done. I found my P60 for 2010-2011, but I can't find my boyfriend's :frown: Only have the 2009-2010 one. He had 3 different jobs in the 2010-2011 tax year and I can also only find P45s for 2 of them :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest