The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yea well thats because I was talking to you, but just not referring to you with anything bad.
Reply 21
EskimoJo
That's so dumb! Why don't they just put those questions on the online application? :s-smilie:

I hear its because they have some kind of primitive lie detector voice recognition thingys like your insurance company has when you call them. Gate may know if thats true....
johnb1987
About the work placement for the 13 week of new deal (soon to be flexibile new deal), do they organise it on your behalf automatically, or do I have to ask for it? Will CVs/interivews be needed to go on a work placement? I don't mind if it's paid or unpaid, as benefits still come through. Work experience is the most important thing at the moment.

I got a feeling that I would need to go on on new deal after 6 months of unemployment.

I want to get into IT by the way.

The way it worked for me was my advisor sent me to BTCV which is a provider of courses and other things. When I got there they asked me what I needed to get into work, which was work experience, so they got me a placement and arranged it all. A placement isn't all you can do in the 13 weeks, you can do courses instead. You don't need a CV for the placements as far as I know.

You'll meet with your new deal advisor beforehand so they might be able to put you in touch with a provider that can help get you an IT placement. I think you can also find your own placement if you want, but the jobcentre have to check it out to make sure its legit.

As for the lie detector, I don't think there is one of those. The main reason for the phone call will be to get a few more details and to give you a date to go to meet with an advisor to get things started.
Reply 23
I'm going to apply online tomorrow. Hopefully, the first sign on date won't be on week commencing 7 September, as it's my graduation ceremony. When I get the call, in a few days time, could I tell them to book a first sign on date not on that week commencing 7 September?
johnb1987
I'm going to apply online tomorrow. Hopefully, the first sign on date won't be on week commencing 7 September, as it's my graduation ceremony. When I get the call, in a few days time, could I tell them to book a first sign on date not on that week commencing 7 September?

The day you sign is based on the last 2 numbers of your NI number and so can't be changed. If I remember correctly if it's between 00 and 29 that means you sign on a monday.
i'm planning on doing this if i cant find a job during my gap year.
Reply 26
gateshipone
The day you sign is based on the last 2 numbers of your NI number and so can't be changed. If I remember correctly if it's between 00 and 29 that means you sign on a monday.

According to this website, mine is on a Wednesday (http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Whatyoushouldknow/Payday_Changes/index.html). Last two digits not posted here, due to privacy reasons.

When apply on Monday (week commencing 24 August), would my first sign on date be sometime in week commencing 31 August?
johnb1987
According to this website, mine is on a Wednesday (http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Whatyoushouldknow/Payday_Changes/index.html). Last two digits not posted here, due to privacy reasons.

When apply on Monday (week commencing 24 August), would my first sign on date be sometime in week commencing 31 August?

Possibly, it depends on how busy your local job centre is. They may move your first signing to the following week. If you're pay day is a Wednesday it's a good bet you'll sign on a Friday or a Monday since it is paid 3 working days after you sign. I can't say for sure since I've heard varying info on whether your signing day counts as the first working day (I'd say no based on when I was paid, but some people think it does). I'd hazard a guess and say you'll sign on Friday's.
Reply 28
Applied online today. Need to wait at least 2 working days for a call.

About the rent and council tax details, could I say 'I don't know'? My parents deal and pay those things... Or would I be forced to say it?

Any help about those stuff appreciated.
johnb1987
Applied online today. Need to wait at least 2 working days for a call.

About the rent and council tax details, could I say 'I don't know'? My parents deal and pay those things... Or would I be forced to say it?

Any help about those stuff appreciated.

Just say that you don't pay it but your parents do. They might be OK with that or ask you to bring details down which I'm sure your parents will be able to provide.
Reply 30
gateshipone
Just say that you don't pay it but your parents do. They might be OK with that or ask you to bring details down which I'm sure your parents will be able to provide.

Ok, I will say that then.

The house I'm living is my cousin's house (the owner), and parents pay rent. Now they are unemployed, my cousin let us to live their rent free.

Do the questions asked in the phone conversation ask anything about my parents like employment, their savings, job title, etc...? Or is it only about 'me'?

Would I get a confirmation letter after the phone call in a few days time, saying that I'm entitled to JSA?

Thanks for your help so far. Rep given.
Reply 31
It's only about you. And a partner if you have one.
johnb1987
Ok, I will say that then.

The house I'm living is my cousin's house (the owner), and parents pay rent. Now they are unemployed, my cousin let us to live their rent free.

Do the questions asked in the phone conversation ask anything about my parents like employment, their savings, job title, etc...? Or is it only about 'me'?

Would I get a confirmation letter after the phone call in a few days time, saying that I'm entitled to JSA?

Thanks for your help so far. Rep given.

Yeah it's only about you and a partner usually. If for some reason you are asked about other people just tell them you don't know.

You might get a letter at some point saying you're entitled to it, but the speed letters get sent out can be pretty slow! Chances are that you'll know by the end of the phone call if you're entitled and you'll be told when to go down to the jobcentre at the same time.
Reply 33
Just got a call today. The questions are straight forward. Now got an appointment sometime this week to finish things off. What is done during that day in the job centre, besides telling you the first sign on date?
johnb1987
Just got a call today. The questions are straight forward. Now got an appointment sometime this week to finish things off. What is done during that day in the job centre, besides telling you the first sign on date?

You'll agree on your job seekers agreement, sign that as well as your LMU (the thing we use to keep all your stuff in) the process of signing on should be explained to you, you'll get a job log and your ES40 (a booket that you fill in if you sign off and with a bit of info in it) and you may get some other leaflets and things.

You'll also confirm that all the info collected is correct and fill in any gaps in the info.

My main advice is to not let the advisor put things on your agreement you're not happy with or can't do. Don't let them put down "will write a letter to 3 employers a week" or something like that if you don't intend to do it. It's not too big a deal day to day but if someone you sign with does decide to be a jobsworth and say you haven't done everything on your Jsag, they could refer you to an advisor or a decision maker. I personally wouldn't be that harsh but the Jsag is a legal document so you should agree to all of it before signing.
Reply 35
gateshipone
You'll agree on your job seekers agreement, sign that as well as your LMU (the thing we use to keep all your stuff in) the process of signing on should be explained to you, you'll get a job log and your ES40 (a booket that you fill in if you sign off and with a bit of info in it) and you may get some other leaflets and things.

You'll also confirm that all the info collected is correct and fill in any gaps in the info.

My main advice is to not let the advisor put things on your agreement you're not happy with or can't do. Don't let them put down "will write a letter to 3 employers a week" or something like that if you don't intend to do it. It's not too big a deal day to day but if someone you sign with does decide to be a jobsworth and say you haven't done everything on your Jsag, they could refer you to an advisor or a decision maker. I personally wouldn't be that harsh but the Jsag is a legal document so you should agree to all of it before signing.

Ok.

Basically, I'm accepted for JSA after the phone call/job centre visit, but the visit to the job centre is just to check stuff, etc...?

However, I heard different things from websites and other people saying that after the interview, my information that was given on the phone (and in the interview) will go to the decision makers, and you may have to wait a few weeks before any money comes in'... :s

Hope you can help me out. I'm confused.
johnb1987
Ok.

Basically, I'm accepted for JSA after the phone call/job centre visit, but the visit to the job centre is just to check stuff, etc...?

However, I heard different things from websites and other people saying that after the interview, my information that was given on the phone (and in the interview) will go to the decision makers, and you may have to wait a few weeks before any money comes in'... :s

Hope you can help me out. I'm confused.

Yeah the meeting at the jobcentre is just to get you to sign a bunch of things and get your Jsag sorted.

If you've been accepted for JSA then it'll eventually get into your account. Depending on how busy the new claims dept is it might take some time, but if that happens it'll just be backdated to your original claim date.

You might sign at that meeting, but I doubt a payment will be put through. At your first actual signing the person who signs you will release payment and it should go into your account in 3 working days.
Reply 37
So on the day at the job centre to sign stuff and get my jsag sorted, I would know if I'm eligible for JSA then? :confused:
johnb1987
So on the day at the job centre to sign stuff and get my jsag sorted, I would know if I'm eligible for JSA then? :confused:

If you've been told to go to see an advisor then you're definitely gonna be getting JSA. You'd have been told on the phone if there was a reason that you weren't eligible.
Reply 39
Before claming JSA, I was actively seeking work already, and have rejection letters etc... Do those count when they want proof, even though they are not dated during the JSA claiming period? Or do they want to see the ones during the JSA claiming period?

Hope you get what I mean.

Latest

Trending

Trending