The Student Room Group

The Big A-Level Tips thread! - - 2 pages of tips in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
General Tip - don't **** up. That is all.
Reply 41
Gneral Tip - dont say at AS "i can always resit next year" because it doesnt work! if you didnt get it right the first time what makes you think you will second time. also it messes with your A2s as you concentrate less on them and had lots of negative knock on effects. work hard for AS exams and you wont have to explain to unis why you have 4 Ds yet are expected 4 As!
Reply 42
General tip - Read this thread!! Not only that but follow all of the advice as well! I wish I had done :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Physics- MEMORISE ALL THE EQUATIONS!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Past papers. For a few weeks before the exam, do EVERY SINGLE past paper a minimum of 3 times. Try and do maybe 3 in a row, more if they are shorter exams. Keep a record of the scores you get on them on Excel or whatever, and you'll see your grades rising from very low to ~90%.

It really works.. shame i only found that out for my last A2 exams :frown:
fallen angel9
-Try your best in your coursework ALWAYS. It's one of the easiest things to do well in if you are willing to put in the work.
- Do pay attention in classes.
- English Lit- read the texts (although I knew people who didn't and still managed to get As :dontknow:
-Italian or any other language- Listen to foreign radio over the Internet, watch youtube clips in tha lang and read the news in that language. The more practice the better. If you can go to that country if your school offers trips or whatever. I went to Italy twice during my year and year 13 and my speaking and listening skills improved tremendously.
- Learn to master the exam technique in your subjects!
- If you're doing essay subjects (I did English Literature, Religious Studies and History) practice writing essays in timed conditions and then give them to your teacher to mark!
- Work hard in AS as it makes it easier for going into year 13
- If you don't get such great ASs resits are your answer! They can pay off tremendously and you can improve eg I have a friend who got a D in History As and moved up to a B. I know someone who moved up from a U in an English module to an A.
-Find out what revision method works for you early on. If you liked coloured revision cards in GCSE and they worked for you carry on using them!.
-Pukka Pads can be your best friend.
- Finally revisie as you see fit, just because someone else like revising a week before the exams it doesn't mean it'll work for you.
- Make sure you get along with your teachers, they'll be more willing to write you a lovely reference !
- Try not to neglect some subjects in favour of others which you prefer. I loved revising for History but revising for English made me feel physically sick but it had to be done!
-Ermm work hard! I found it a huge jump at first but I gradually got used to it.

Very helpful, thank-you :smile: . You made me laugh with the fact that revising for English made you feel physically sick! HAHAHAHA. I can totally empaphise with you there. :rolleyes: At GCSE level English Literature I found revising for the subject boring.
Harry Potter's sidekick
Very helpful, thank-you :smile: . You made me laugh with the fact that revising for English made you feel physically sick! HAHAHAHA. I can totally empaphise with you there. :rolleyes: At GCSE level English Literature I found revising for the subject boring.

That's alright! :grin: HAHA It was so painful I can't begin to say all I wanted to do was revise History at the time :woo: My biggest regret was taking that subject but there wasnt't anything else in the block I could have done really :sad:
Reply 47
English Language tip: Keep up with the theorists! My teachers all said you didn't really need to know them to pass but knowing them really did boost my confidence in the exam. Other than that, key terms! Do all practice essays on time- the feedback you'll get from your teachers will really help overall if you listen.

General Tip
: If you don't like a subject don't just suffer with it; change it as soon as possible after the first week or so. The quicker you start with a lesson you enjoy, the more you'll enjoy A levels and the better you'll do.
Photography/Arts - Notate everything with proper terminology and keep on top of it. If you have no deadlines due use the opportunity to get ahead on Journal work. Don't worry as much about high standards of work, as it's experimentation and notation which get the real marks (although that doesn't mean have a poor standard of work!)
Reply 49
Thanks for all the tips everyone, I've compacted them all in to a word document for reference/kick up the backside :yep:
Maths- If you don't understand something then ask straight away, because if not its most likely to lose you those crucial marks in the exam. Past papers and understanding how to do each question are the key to doing well in this topic in my opinion. Of course, you need to enjoy maths :biggrin:.
Biology- I found some parts were very very interesting e.g. biochemistry and others like evolution were so waffly and boring to revise as well. Stick to the specification and revise nothing outside of what you need for the exam. Go through each part of the specification and bullet point and learn what you need for the exam and you'll have a decent chance because there aren't many past papers in this subject.
Chemistry- If you understand each concept, and are willing to put in the work to remember all the different conditions for some reactions then you should do very well. Practicals can be either your worst enemy or best friend and theres not much preparation you can do for them. Again, I hated this at gcse, but I love it now :biggrin:.
History- I didn't realise how much work this needed. Make spider-diagrams, condense class notes and read around and link each topic. Most importantly perfect your essay technique, it took me ages to understand what was expected of me in this as its so different to what I was used to at gcse.
Reply 51
skatealexia
Maths- If you don't understand something then ask straight away, because if not its most likely to lose you those crucial marks in the exam. Past papers and understanding how to do each question are the key to doing well in this topic in my opinion. Of course, you need to enjoy maths :biggrin:.
Biology- I found some parts were very very interesting e.g. biochemistry and others like evolution were so waffly and boring to revise as well. Stick to the specification and revise nothing outside of what you need for the exam. Go through each part of the specification and bullet point and learn what you need for the exam and you'll have a decent chance because there aren't many past papers in this subject.
Chemistry- If you understand each concept, and are willing to put in the work to remember all the different conditions for some reactions then you should do very well. Practicals can be either your worst enemy or best friend and theres not much preparation you can do for them. Again, I hated this at gcse, but I love it now :biggrin:.
History- I didn't realise how much work this needed. Make spider-diagrams, condense class notes and read around and link each topic. Most importantly perfect your essay technique, it took me ages to understand what was expected of me in this as its so different to what I was used to at gcse.

" Stick to the specification and revise nothing outside of what you need for the exam. Go through each part of the specification and bullet point and learn what you need for the exam and you'll have a decent chance because there aren't many past papers in this subject. "

This is also what i'm thinking of doing, if i know the whole spec the i see no reason for less than 90%

but i was told by a friend that she knew everything in the spec and when she done the exam random questions popped up which weren't in the spec or the textbook . This has made me feel more pesimistic towards a-levels.
Reply 52
skatealexia

How is it different, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 53
History - if your teachers tell you to read around the subject DON'T - unless you already have a good understanding of what's going on, it'll be a waste of time, just learn everything in the spec
Reply 54
chebanana
Thanks for all the tips everyone, I've compacted them all in to a word document for reference/kick up the backside :yep:

It took a while (well actually it took AAAGES), but I've organised them all into the first post.
I'll be adding in pg3 when we reach pg4 :smile: (5 replies left)

Btw, anyone have any tips for Product Design? I'm kinda going into it blind next year and I don't really know what to expect! 0_o
Reply 55
_Collo
It took a while (well actually it took AAAGES), but I've organised them all into the first post.
I'll be adding in pg3 when we reach pg4 :smile: (5 replies left)

Btw, anyone have any tips for Product Design? I'm kinda going into it blind next year and I don't really know what to expect! 0_o

I didn't take it personally but from what I heard it's alot harder than it looks because it's a very broad subject, so definately not easy- think it'll be basically, don't get behind in the work as with most project based subjects :smile:
Reply 56
Classic Civilisation: I took this with AQA so don't know if it's the same with other boards, but there'll be nothing in the exam pre Solon. My teacher spent up to January discussing all these important Athenians and important dates, which I'd forgotten by study leave and then started to rush back through my books and learn them- only to discover they weren't even on the spec and he'd just done it for background information!

RE/Religious Studies
: I did New Testement and Islam with Edexcel. You don't have to be very religious doing this, my friend once said that the perfect person to do the subject would be aganostic, but you might want to try looking at revision guides during summer. You lot coming up now are lucky as there are new revision guides out for the new spec- which we never had, but didn't realise until too late! Usual stuff- ask the teacher for help, hand in practice essays and practice papers and listen to the advice your teachers give you :smile:
Reply 57
manx1991
I didn't take it personally but from what I heard it's alot harder than it looks because it's a very broad subject, so definitely not easy- think it'll be basically, don't get behind in the work as with most project based subjects :smile:

Oh noes, not another hard one xD
Sounds like all the subjects I've chosen are going to be really tough from what people have been telling me then (maths, fmaths, physics, chemistry & product design), for the next two years I'm going to be drowning in work! :eek3:
Reply 58
_Collo
Oh noes, not another hard one xD
Sounds like all the subjects I've chosen are going to be really tough from what people have been telling me then (maths, fmaths, physics, chemistry & product design), for the next two years I'm going to be drowning in work! :eek3:

Ouch, yep I would agree, you definately haven't chosen 'soft' subjects. Can I ask why you chose Product Design when your other subjects are very exam based? At least if you keep the coursework under control throughout the year in PD it won't be too bad when it comes to revision, but you'll realise how much you can handle within the first couple of weeks so it's not a live or die choice right now :smile:
Reply 59
manx1991
Ouch, yep I would agree, you definitely haven't chosen 'soft' subjects. Can I ask why you chose Product Design when your other subjects are very exam based? At least if you keep the coursework under control throughout the year in PD it won't be too bad when it comes to revision, but you'll realise how much you can handle within the first couple of weeks so it's not a live or die choice right now :smile:

I want to be an Engineer
I've always enjoyed designing, creating, building, making and seeing a final practical product of all my hard work and Product Design incorporates all of that.

Quick Reply

Latest