The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) A101- Oxford University Entry (2024)

Hi, I didn't see this page so thought to create one. I am thinking of applying to the GEM programme at Oxford for the 2024 entry. I was just wondering if anyone thinks I have a good chance of getting in with my current stats:

PhD in Health Services research (HIV/Mixed Methods)
1st Class degree in MPharm
A levels in Biology (A), Chemistry (B), Maths (B), AS Psychology (A)
GCSE's 10 A-B's and 2 A*'s
Experience working in care homes and as a pharmacist (Hospital and community) for 4 years.

Please be honest as I do not want to waste an application spot!

I will have a few weeks to practice for the BMAT so hopefully I can do somewhat well on that, but again I have never done it before.

Is there anyone else in a similar position or thinking of applying? May be we can all share stats and help each other out.

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by arsenalfcarsenalfc
Hi, I didn't see this page so thought to create one. I am thinking of applying to the GEM programme at Oxford for the 2024 entry. I was just wondering if anyone thinks I have a good chance of getting in with my current stats:

Experience working in care homes and as a pharmacist (Hospital and community) for 4 years.

I will have a few weeks to practice for the BMAT so hopefully I can do somewhat well on that, but again I have never done it before.

Is there anyone else in a similar position or thinking of applying? May be we can all share stats and help each other out.

Hi, I can't offer any advice but I'm in a similar position to yourself - I'm considering applying to Oxford for GEM for 2024 entry with similar stats.
Reply 3
Original post by GraduateMedicine
Hi, I can't offer any advice but I'm in a similar position to yourself - I'm considering applying to Oxford for GEM for 2024 entry with similar stats.

Glad there's someone else in the same position! What was your degree/masters in? Have you thought about other places to apply to? I am thinking of doing a few in London and a few out with one undergrad and 3 grad entry.

Is this your first time applying? I would appreciate any tips!
Glad there's someone else in the same position! What was your degree/masters in? Have you thought about other places to apply to? I am thinking of doing a few in London and a few out with one undergrad and 3 grad entry.

Is this your first time applying? I would appreciate any tips!

My degree was in Chemical Engineering and I've worked in industry for 4 ish years so I'm a late starter.
I'm going to apply to 4 grad entry courses - Oxford, one in London probably QMUL and two others which I'm currently considering.
This is my first time applying too so I haven't any tips but hopefully others can shed some light!
Reply 5

I am not sure if they have released the 2024 entry criteria yet, but currently, Oxford state:
"In addition to your degree, you must also have passes at A-level of at least AAB with an A or A* in Chemistry (if A-levels taken within last 5 years). One of these must be chemistry (unless you have a chemistry degree).

Applicants must also have one from Biology, Physics or Mathematics at A-level. Applicants with a degree in a subject other than bioscience must have a qualification in biology at GCSE or equivalent level."

I assume you have checked this will be waived if A levels were >5 years ago, and also that not having this would still mean you were a competitive applicant?

Original post by GraduateMedicine
My degree was in Chemical Engineering and I've worked in industry for 4 ish years so I'm a late starter.
I'm going to apply to 4 grad entry courses - Oxford, one in London probably QMUL and two others which I'm currently considering.
This is my first time applying too so I haven't any tips but hopefully others can shed some light!

It would be advisable to wait for a UCAT score before deciding where to apply, as a strategic application is key, and most of that depends on the admissions test scores. Have you done/are you planning to do GAMSAT?

Not sure if you guys have found the general GEM thread, but that is where the people who have been through it before tend to hang out
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853&page=10
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Hi! Where is everybody applying? I’m thinking Magdalen college because it’s so beautiful and had a good experience there while visiting
Reply 7
How did everyone find the bmat?
Reply 8
hii, I was wondering what day the interviews come out? I thought to have fairly strong application, but my BMAT results came out soooo low (did not think it went THIS bad). Do rejections come out the same day as interviews or later?
Reply 9
Original post by nata3211
hii, I was wondering what day the interviews come out? I thought to have fairly strong application, but my BMAT results came out soooo low (did not think it went THIS bad). Do rejections come out the same day as interviews or later?

I think last year they came out 1/12, I’m quite confident we’ll hear back this week given that interviews take place December 14 & 15. Regarding bmat, I think this year was harder in general, and you’ll be ranked against everyone else so there might still be hope of an interview invite! I haven’t checked my results yet, I’m too scared lmfao
Mine also went terribly so I’m hoping they’ll be more lenient with BMAT score this year, I think we will hear in the next two days, I keep refreshing my emails 😭
Does anyone elses UCAS suddenly say this, in regards to oxford GEM?

"The start date of this course has changed since you added this choice. Please delete it and add it again with the updated date"

best of luck to everyone!
Original post by ekjo16
Does anyone elses UCAS suddenly say this, in regards to oxford GEM?

"The start date of this course has changed since you added this choice. Please delete it and add it again with the updated date"

best of luck to everyone!

Just checked and mine doesn’t say that
Original post by AnonymousPhD
Just checked and mine doesn’t say that

Thank you. Probably a glitch, or maybe a sign that theyre working on things
Reply 14
Original post by ekjo16
Thank you. Probably a glitch, or maybe a sign that theyre working on things

Mine doesn’t say this either! I would suggest contacting them first before removing that choice!
Reply 15
Just checking the “average” BMAT scores of graduates is less than for undergrad entry right? Seeing all these high scores on the main BMAT forum has made me anxious
Reply 16
Original post by monkeh2
Just checking the “average” BMAT scores of graduates is less than for undergrad entry right? Seeing all these high scores on the main BMAT forum has made me anxious

BMAT only constitutes a quarter of the score used for shortlisting anyway, but on the website it says top 25% of scorers tend to get interviews, due partly to the high score but also those that do well in the BMAT tend to have an otherwise strong application anyway.
Looks like undergrads are getting offers for Oxford, has anyone here heard anything?
Reply 18
Hi, does anyone know how to send in supporting evidence? Just graduated and wanted to send in transcripts? Should I email the admissions with it or is there any other way?
Reply 19
Original post by AnonymousPhD
Looks like undergrads are getting offers for Oxford, has anyone here heard anything?

We will hear on Friday, December 1st (as confirmed by admissions)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending