The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

You have a lot of investment power.

I am just getting into the real thing now, after something of a trial run with some mock investment. I just needed to be sure that I wasn't deluding myself into believing myself capable of investing sensibly, as I've gambled rather madly in the past.

Looking for something mid to long-term, though, probably in new energies.

Thanks mate, best of luck with your investments.

I wish I had started off with a virtual portfolio, but I used real money instead and played around at the beginning. Lost a bit of money, but learnt a lot in the process, since then have made it all back and utilized the knowledge to make more and more.
Good move by MTA today, for all the MTA holders on this board, but on no news?! I suspect some has been leaked.
Good move by MTA today, for all the MTA holders on this board, but on no news?! I suspect some has been leaked.

Congratulations to all the MTA holders.

Yeah MTA it seems sees a good change in price before news comes out.
Reply 1183
I'm getting very uneasy about my DES/RKH shares now. Anyone else?
Reply 1184
I've took some out Cortez, just to reduce my risk.

It should be TD around next Friday.

Ive got around £500 with them now which Im leaving in for the results.
Reply 1185
Prikstera
Thanks.

I have put all my money in INCH at the moment, taking it out 10/11th March then going to go for a more diversified portfolio.

Still looking good for you mate.

Nice 5% increase so far today.

Good Luck, I will be following this.
Reply 1186
MrBez
I've took some out Cortez, just to reduce my risk.

It should be TD around next Friday.

Ive got around £500 with them now which Im leaving in for the results.

Not worth it for me really, I'm down so much now that I wouldn't be much worse off if it was a duster haha. Might as well just hope for the best now.
Reply 1187
Look at it this way mate,

Price was around 125, and dropped to 92p. It rose to 135 within 2 weeks to the spudding date.

Drilling is still going ahead.

Best of luck to you mate.
Still looking good for you mate.

Nice 5% increase so far today.

Good Luck, I will be following this.

Thanks mate, 7.38% rise today. Up £6000 at the moment. I am wandering if INCH has the legs to rise any more, results tomorrow morning should tell us.

What I said on the weekend (We reached that 29 mark, with 29.5 so far):

INCH is here to save you, bargain price at just 27p. I brought at 25p a few days ago, and am already rolling in the money .
Results coming out 10th March expect at LEAST 29p/30p.

Looking for my next share to move into after tomorrow, anyone got any suggestions?
Reply 1189
Prikstera/Cortez,

Apparently there has been over £500k worth of buys go through after hours today on DES.

So we should definitely see some movement tomorrow, and hopefully for the rest of the week. Maybe rig crew buying, knowing something we don't?
Reply 1190
MrBez
Prikstera/Cortez,

Apparently there has been over £500k worth of buys go through after hours today on DES.

So we should definitely see some movement tomorrow, and hopefully for the rest of the week. Maybe rig crew buying, knowing something we don't?

Yeah I saw that on iii, lots of excitement there as you can expect lol.

Was actually closed to £1m in total with one big 500k trade.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp?shareprice=DES&share=desire_pet

People saying it's already in the price etc though because it was only reported after 4:30 but the actual trade was before.

I don't know though, not really sure how the ins and outs of the market work but it looks like tomorrow will be interesting anyway.
Cortez
Yeah I saw that on iii, lots of excitement there as you can expect lol.

Was actually closed to £1m in total with one big 500k trade.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp?shareprice=DES&share=desire_pet

People saying it's already in the price etc though because it was only reported after 4:30 but the actual trade was before.

I don't know though, not really sure how the ins and outs of the market work but it looks like tomorrow will be interesting anyway.

Even if it is in the price, the wave of buys is suspicious. Maybe somebody knows something we don't, and good things are on the horizon.
Reply 1192
Prikstera
Even if it is in the price, the wave of buys is suspicious. Maybe somebody knows something we don't, and good things are on the horizon.

Still in with Inch?

They took a large fall today, although it is slowly on the up.

Des - I don't understand this at all!!
Would be great if any of you could give me a hand with this -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24124471#post24124471

Also, I'm well late with this but I made good money on the Cadburys takeover.
Still in with Inch?

They took a large fall today, although it is slowly on the up.

Des - I don't understand this at all!!

Hey mate, I sold out on a 4K profit, so I made 2k less than if I had sold yesterday, but a profit is a profit, its all good.
Reply 1195
DriftingBore
Would be great if any of you could give me a hand with this -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24124471#post24124471

Also, I'm well late with this but I made good money on the Cadburys takeover.

How do take overs work?

If you say bought shares at £5 a share and they get taken over for £10 a share, are you shares essentially worth £10 each but in the take over company instead?
Reply 1196
Prikstera
Hey mate, I sold out on a 4K profit, so I made 2k less than if I had sold yesterday, but a profit is a profit, its all good.

It is indeed, excellent work.

Much better than my record at the minute, I've not been up yet!

What are you looking at now mate?
Cortez
How do take overs work?

If you say bought shares at £5 a share and they get taken over for £10 a share, are you shares essentially worth £10 each but in the take over company instead?

It depends. The buying company will make an offer to the shareholders of the selling company. The offer can be in cash, loan notes (basically a IOU issued by the buying company) or shares in the buying company. You can have combined offers (e.g. 1 share in the buying company and 200p for each share of the target) and shareholders can be offered alternatives. Sometimes regulations will force the buyer to offer cash or a cash alternative.

In your example, you'd only own shares in the buying company if you'd accepted £10 of shares in the buyer instead of your old £5 shares. If the offer was in cash, then you'd just have £10 cash and no shares.
Reply 1198
jacketpotato
It depends. The buying company will make an offer to the shareholders of the selling company. The offer can be in cash, loan notes (basically a IOU issued by the buying company) or shares in the buying company. You can have combined offers (e.g. 1 share in the buying company and 200p for each share of the target) and shareholders can be offered alternatives. Sometimes regulations will force the buyer to offer cash or a cash alternative.

In your example, you'd only own shares in the buying company if you'd accepted £10 of shares in the buyer instead of your old £5 shares. If the offer was in cash, then you'd just have £10 cash and no shares.

Nice one, thanks :smile:
Cortez
Nice one, thanks :smile:

What jacketpotato said! It was my first real foray into the stock market so I'm quite please. I bought in a tiny bit late though, could have made more. No need to be greedy though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending