The Student Room Group
Reply 1
sheri234
Hello, Im starting my dissertation this year and wondering if anyone could help me out. My uni is absolutely useless!
Firstly do you think the topic is any good? or should I be more specific with the title?
What books can you recommend for me? [Castelle, Grmasci etc]
Thanks a lot guys :smile:

My initial feeling is that the topic is too broad, and it would be helpful to narrow it a little bit. For instance, "culture" is a pretty broad term and encompasses many different areas (music, literature, film, tourism, etc). Maybe you'd like to specify what aspects of culture you are interested in exploring.

I sometimes find it helpful to phrase essays as questions you would like to answer. What are you interested in finding out? For example, you could say something like, "What is the impact of globalization on UK's film industry?" (just a hypothetical example). Once you have a question, you can start researching with a little more focus, and your dissertation then becomes the answer to that question.

In terms of books, I believe John Tomlinson wrote a book called Globalization and Culture (you might have already come across it. It seems like a foundational text, so you can use it to narrow your topic down more).

Also, check out this link for more ideas:

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/ant/gee/299u/299uout.pdf

Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you!!
I was thinking globalisation, cultural identity post-7/7... or maybe 9/11
Reply 3
You really really need to narrow this topic down. Globalisation and Culture are both extremely broad concepts. If you are doing a BA dissertation you should narrow your topic area to a case study and exmaine it within a globalisation paradigm such as Gramsci as your mention. Perhaps choose a region, concept, idea just whatever. But a BA dissertation or even MA or PhD thesis with this topic title would be totally unfeasible.

For example you could write it on "The effects of European Integration on media perceptions of national identity in Britain/Germany etc.... you could then use a content analysis and get clearly defined results.

But just make sure you have a clearly defined topic.

Latest

Trending

Trending