The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

I'm about to move out of Pritchatts Park, Ashcroft if you're interested and we weren't allowed:

Fridges
Candles (fire hazard)
Cooking of any sort/kettles, toasters etc. in rooms
Pets
Illegal substances

If you request a smoking flat then you can smoke anywhere inside, if not then you'll have to go outside otherwise you'll set off smoke alarms.

The fridges weren't a problem if they're hidden under desks, we think the staff confused us for Pritchatts House that do have fridges in their rooms and a wash basin.

As for bringing girls back, you can do what you like (please have respect for flatmates - no they don't want to hear, from stories I've heard !) you're not allowed to sublet and you're not meant to bring people to stay without asking permission. Ok people do have friends from other halls/back home I think they mean if you're taking the p*ss and putting people up for a days on end.

That's about it, good luck with your Uni career.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
how easy would it be to sneak someone in on the weekend after fresher's week? my friend is going to bangor uni but wants to stop over at bham overnight on the way.
selina_c
how easy would it be to sneak someone in on the weekend after fresher's week? my friend is going to bangor uni but wants to stop over at bham overnight on the way.

erm....just do it :biggrin: Student life is about being chilled people. If it's legal then it's almost certainly not gonna cause problems!*

*Disclaimer: this may or may not be appropriate to your situation. I make NO guarantees!
Reply 23
well i guess life is pretty much gonna rock! :cool:
Reply 24
Don't worry about the things in you're apartment - they arn't really bothered. Last year we had 2 police traffic cones (one of which actualy said West Midlands Police all over it) and the police AND fire bridgade came invited themselves in to tell us about security and not starting fires and they wern't bothered. Also we had a TV in the main room with not licence the whole time. Now they are actualy illegal so if no ones cares about them I can't see them being bothered about you having a mini-fridge either.
tv licensing... just refuse to let them enter your property if they call round, and make sure they cant see a tv from the window. they then have to go through the courts to get a search warrant before they can come into your property. just say "go away", shut the door and dont say another word and you will be fine :smile:.

Mini fridges are only banned cos of the fire risk i think (motor burning out and all that). And of course chip pans, well that is common sense in my mind :smile:

don't ever let off a fire extinguisher or set off an alarm maliciously though, if you get caught you will get charged £600 by the fire bridage :smile:
Reply 26
davesstones
Mini fridges are only banned cos of the fire risk i think (motor burning out and all that). And of course chip pans, well that is common sense in my mind :smile:

Speaking of chip pans the fire men told us that someone on the 3rd floor had one set on fire and paniced so they just throwed it out of the window! :p:
Chubb
Speaking of chip pans the fire men told us that someone on the 3rd floor had one set on fire and paniced so they just throwed it out of the window! :p:

There was a fire in one of my friends flats in The Beeches last year. One of the daft bints left popcorn cooking on the stove. They went back to find it on fire and ran around screaming before finally deciding they should do something about it :rolleyes:
Chubb

so the poor sod walking underneath practically got napalmed? poor guy :frown:

interestingly enough if you are sad enough to read through all the boring gubbins, techincally everyone is breaking the rules, every single electrical applicance you take is supposed to be electrically tested by the uni for safety, and given one of those green stickers.... technically, of course :wink:
Id second what chubb said if its legal and youve got it you can do it, and it its illegal and youre discreet you can still do it. Id only say if its illegal dont do it in the first couple of weeks and get to know how your halls work before you try it.....¬¬
Reply 30
all i want to know is if the entrance to the halls are manned so someone who doesnt have any proof they attend the uni can't get in?
Reply 31
No, they're not manned Selina. If they were, I'd imagine they'd have a right job, people coming and going all the time, would take forever!

Edit: Ok, well Maple Bank wasn't manned at all last year, and I went to Mason quite a few times to see friends and never got asked anything. *shrugs* I dunno, as someone else said, probably best to wait a few days, see what the situation is like. But I don't really see why it should be too much of a problem :smile:
the entrance of mason hall used to be... not sure now. shackleton is manned 24/7 however :smile:
silence
sausage fests? is that as in... fudge packing?

!!! :rofl:

Fudge packing, hahahahaha

That cracked me up :toofunny: :biggrin:
Reply 34
the way "sausage fests" was put next to "cold showers" made me wonder.. :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending