The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist but I like the idea of having a god to believe in

I like the idea of having a higher being to confide in even though I literally do not believe that one exists whatsoever. Is this normal? Can someone convince me of god's existence please fkdjgbdkjg
Reply 1
Original post by spicyoo
I like the idea of having a higher being to confide in even though I literally do not believe that one exists whatsoever. Is this normal? Can someone convince me of god's existence please fkdjgbdkjg

Hi, I hope you're doing well
I think it is normal, but I personally don't think that you actually do not believe that a god exists. You might believe that a god exists subconsciously. Or deep down you know that a god exists. I'm a Christian so I do believe in God, and I believe that God is with me everywhere I go. I'm not trying to turn you into a Christian or anything, but you can try praying or maybe even going to a local Youth Church and see how that goes. I promise you no one is going to judge that you're an atheist (but if they do, I don't think they actually believe in God, and you might want to go to a different Youth Church). And I don't need to convinve you that God exists, God is going to show you that He exists if He wanted to. And if you do want Him to show you that He exists you should try praying to Him and say "God I want you to give me a sign that you're here with me".

Again, I'm not forcing you to do all this, or turning you into a Christian. All I know is that you're not going to do anything I said here, but I hope that God will bless you, and I hope that I made at least a little impact in your life. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Thank you.
Reply 2
Original post by spicyoo

Man tries to fill that hole, that void (that animals don't have) with all kinds of things . .. as of course I did but was left with it after a while and realised these other things were just cheap distractions.
I now know that we were made by the best, for the best, this body and it's environment are just temporary, the answer is Spiritual, as Jesus said "you must be born again . . .of The Spirit (of God)" (John 3v3-8), that makes you a child of God with a new identity to live by.

I saw the difference this made to people (it was the days before the internet) and I ended up wanting nothing more. I prayed to God and received it, just like the forast disciples (Acts 2v4, 10v44-48).

I could go on but best advice is to visit a meeting where you will see this, I'm with these.
Original post by spicyoo
I like the idea of having a higher being to confide in even though I literally do not believe that one exists whatsoever. Is this normal? Can someone convince me of god's existence please

What if it's the opposite, there is no god(s), do you think you could take it if there isn't and all that it may mean?

That may be unpleasant thinking for some and god or not can't really be proven either way. I can't believe in something I don't truly at heart believe, it does nothing for me. You have to really believe it is true but whatever you believe could be wrong in my opinion.

What reality likely is can be too hard for some people to take and it might not be the case. I sometimes wonder if we have become too smart for our own good and knowing too much is not always necessarily a good thing. So I don't mind if others are religious so long as they don't seek power over me. Sometimes the likely truth may be just too hard to take for some and not knowing is probably better for them. So I'm not going to go into all that here as I don't think it would be helpful for forum readers.
Reply 4
Original post by spicyoo

That’s normal in my opinion, because people want hope. People sometimes want someone who is wise and understanding to be there, to share the burden of their sorrows, to listen to their wishes, and to be by their side when they need to face their fears.

I get especially sad whenever I think about how I will lose my parents some day (that is, if I don’t die first). It’s easier for religious people because they believe in an afterlife.

I still hope there’s a God; an understanding and inclusive God who is not judgemental, not arrogant, not an elitist “for club members only” type of God.. but I remain agnostic because none of the so-called evidence from religious people have managed to convince me.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by spicyoo

yes this is normal. i mean logistically speaking, we know that whether it was the big bang that created the universe or religious reasonings from so many religions, we all can agree that there is something of greater power and energy that we as humans cant really process. if ur anything like me, im sure its just the 'why' questions and the whole existential dread thing thats making u feel this way and unfortunately this is way too common (myself included). i dont think this thread can help u with this directly but im gonna assume ur below the age of 25 and say that : whether u remain an atheist or u find ur true religious calling, it will come naturally and resonate well. its not something u can really force or change over night yk?
(edited 10 months ago)
You do you
Reply 7
Original post by spicyoo

I like the idea of having superpowers, even though I know it is just a fantasy.
However, if I started to actually believe that I had superpowers, I would hope that friends or family would call in professional help.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by spicyoo

This guy heard from God when he spoke to God, honestly, wanting to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36oVZWkU9s
Reply 9
Original post by NJA
This guy heard from God when he spoke to God, honestly, wanting to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36oVZWkU9s

Many people hear voices in their head. It is a recognised psychological delusion. I would be wary of believing every claim of than nature.
Reply 10
Original post by spicyoo

hey
read the Quran (english version or literally listen on yt)
ive known soo many ppl read the quran and like find peace with it and straight away BAM accpeted islam
even haters, one guy was about to write an anti islam book, read the quran and like became muslim
trust me, just take a lil look into it and ull fina peace and the most amazing god to believe in
there is inly one god (not three forms), he is alone and has no partner...
hope this helped x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryPs2RfpTU (chapter of quran)
Weirdly refreshing to see someone asking to be convinced there's a god for once rather than someone trying to launch their religious convictions down other people's well-oiled throats. I think trying to convince someone who doesn't believe is quite difficult and I think a better use of your time is really trying to figure out the root cause for this desire. Is it because you don't have people in your life who you can talk to and confide in? You feel general loneliness? You don't like making life decisions and want a higher power to just tell you what to do? And so on, and if you figure this out you can put in steps to solve the issues.
Reply 12
Original post by WADR
It works the other way as well. I had no opinion on Islam until I read the Quran. Reading it made me appreciate what a violent, oppressive, intolerant ideology it promotes.
And what about all the academics who study Islamic history and don't convert. They must be some of the most knowledgable people in the world on the subject.
Then there are people who read the Bible and convert. Does that make Christianity true?

yh i can clearly tell u didnt read the quran
answer ,me this, if its soo oppressed and violent, why is it the fastest growing religion today? why are people so steadfast on this religion and take it so seriously huh?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by A____J
yh i can clearly tell u didnt read the quran
answer ,me this, if its soo oppressed and violent, why is it the fastest growing religion today? why are people so steadfast on this religion and take it so seriously huh?

I know your questions are meant for WADR but I want to join in anyway..

Whether you’re Jewish / Christian / Muslim, if you really want to deny that your holy book (Torah / Bible / Quran) teaches violence and discrimination, then you should be referring to the verses or sentences that made people think that those books teach violence and discrimination. That’s the better way to debate it.

When you pointed out that your religion is the fastest-growing religion in the world, you don’t actually make people less skeptical about the teachings of your holy book. Some people might even feel more afraid about that “growth” because to them, that only means more and more people are being brainwashed by religion.
Reply 14
Original post by Manny2023
I know your questions are meant for WADR but I want to join in anyway..

Whether you’re Jewish / Christian / Muslim, if you really want to deny that your holy book (Torah / Bible / Quran) teaches violence and discrimination, then you should be referring to the verses or sentences that made people think that those books teach violence and discrimination. That’s the better way to debate it.

When you pointed out that your religion is the fastest-growing religion in the world, you don’t actually make people less skeptical about the teachings of your holy book. Some people might even feel more afraid about that “growth” because to them, that only means more and more people are being brainwashed by religion.

'brainwashed' - no, no. it shows that people actually understand the religion and want to join it by their OWN choice, not cuz some freak brainwashed them. Also I'm sure its not possible to 'brainwash' someone
Reply 15
Original post by A____J
'brainwashed' - no, no. it shows that people actually understand the religion and want to join it by their OWN choice, not cuz some freak brainwashed them. Also I'm sure its not possible to 'brainwash' someone

Brainwashing is easy when you have influence and/or power. Two decades ago, how many Americans were brainwashed into thinking that Saddam was involved in the 9/11 attacks? How many people in Britain were tricked into believing that Saddam had WMD? At the same time, how many people in Iraq were brainwashed by their media that idolised Saddam? These are just examples of brainwashing. They do exist, they happen in both the West and the East, and sometimes they’re not even about religion.

Anyway, going back to this discussion.. Try to put yourself in the shoes of atheists. If you can empathise with an atheist’s point of view, then maybe you could find a better way to convince non-believers.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by A____J
Also I'm sure its not possible to 'brainwash' someone

Please tell me you’re joking.???
Reply 17
Original post by A____J

Debate is forbidden in Faith & Spirituality. I will reply in the appropriate forum.
Original post by spicyoo

I don't think anyone can convince you either way-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending