The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Diaz89
yes it does those who say it doesn't probably went to **** unis in the first place and are now trying to comfort their failure with false hope.

Or it could be that they went to a great school and are learned that their co-workers didn't and are making just as much money as they are. This happens all the time. Unless you're not in the places where prestige matters and can get the most out of your degree, you will be working with people who came from a "lesser" school.
Diaz89
yes it does those who say it doesn't probably went to **** unis in the first place and are now trying to comfort their failure with false hope.

so... how long have you been on the job market to make such heavily fortified statements?
RBarack
From what i've heard, it matters for your first full-time job. Afterwards, it means zilch.

This. Afterwards, its all about experience and reputation.

But on the contrary, Oxbridge students for example might be a few years ahead of the average student because they'd have access to jobs on graduation that the normal student would need to work up the ladder into.
IB_struggling_survivor
Depends on many things...

I'm surprised to hear that your degree only matters during the frist few years of your career. I suppose it's like a-levels only matter for uni entrance...
Can someone please expand on that.

I heard uni you go to matters a lot for jobs. A guy at imperial with a 2.1 will get your place. However, if he has no job exp and you do, everyithng can work out in your favour. I know some guys with 1st class from oxbridge struggling to copmpete against guys with ok degrees but who have real-like work experience and reputee inductris.

The level you get matters though for MSCi, not ness uni you wen t to, so get a first, then go do msc at imp and then you will have excellent chances for jobs

again, take this with a pinch of salt, these days, you never really know whjat happens, best bet is to have it all (prestige uni, job exp, contacts in sector, personality....) - too much presure lol

It's common sense really. Once you have that first job, it's up to you to prove yourself and your employment track record should speak for itself. All your degee proves is your commitment and to an extent, your intelligence.
Reply 24
As people have said it really does depend on the career. A degree from any university is a good start, and once you land that first job (how easy or hard this is..will depend if employers favour uni prestige)..but once you land a job you intend on keeping....your uni prestige wont get you places...it will be your hard work, dedication and performance. So in the long term i would say uni prestige in not important...but people with degrees from non prestige uni's would suffer greater hardship at the beginning.
Reply 25
Diaz89

Really? I'd imagine that 4 star Unis were similar to 4 star hotels; not bad at all.
sk88 must be on the right line here, i think people fail to realise that things are what you make out of it in terms of your career

but i still think that it's really worth going out of your way to get a good degree at a reputed uni (except if your alaready attending uni, just finish your degree) - becasue you automatically show others (ie employers) what your potentail is. It's a no-lose situation when competing wagainst others (ONLY IF you work hard when applying to first job, and not think your the best at everything)
Reply 27
onlinebacon
It's also 45th in the complete university guide and 66th in the times uni guide.

And is the first ex poly to be in the top 500 in the world, it's a decent uni.

So only 50% of UK universities are better then?
Reply 28
Diaz89

University of York
Fast Streamer

You don't appear to have applied for a graduate job before.
Reply 29
My opinion: A more "prestigous" (hate the way TSR loves that word) uni might go far in helping you get a foot in the door, but in the long scheme of things, it's what you do that matters. In 10-15 years, when you're up for that promotion and they're looking over your CV, they're not gonna go, "Well, he brings in profit and he's a hardworker, etc etc but he's from an ex-poly!" and then pass you over for a lesser employee from somewhere higher up on the league tables.

The whole idea is that supposedly, the prestigous unis produce better students because they have better facilities and teaching. It's not the name, it's the quality of the institution they are coming from. So in short, you may have to work a little harder to get in but once you are in, your future's in your hands, not the university you came from. And the same goes for prestigous students; they may get the interviews, but unless they've got the work ethic they won't get the career. And so on and so forth.
Reply 30
Dijobla
when you're up for that promotion and they're looking over your CV

Few people would have their uni on a cv when going for promotion.
Reply 31
Quady
Few people would have their uni on a cv when going for promotion.

okay, but you know what I mean. that only demonstrates my point further, right?
Quady
So only 50% of UK universities are better then?

From those tables, yeah.

But it's a newly established uni... it'll take time to catch up with the older ones.
Reply 33
Dijobla
okay, but you know what I mean. that only demonstrates my point further, right?

yup
Yes, university prestige does matter in long term career. Anyone who says it doesn't is talking rubbish.

My friend went to Imperial to study Environmental Technology and got a job as Analyst in Corporate Liability at PriceWaterhouseCoopers straight after graduation. The vacancy had nothing to do with his degree but just they offered to train him to do the job.
Troyes
I'm from the University of Hertfordshire (which is ranked 97 in the Guardian League table, so make your own assumptions there). How am I placed compared to students graduating from Imperial etc.?

The Imperial students study a lot more.
They work harder.
They have better networks with the industry.
They have a better brand.

You are at a significant disadvantage.
flugestuge
They work harder.

Wow!! You don't beat around the bush do you? :eek: :biggrin: However, I agreee with you!!
flugestuge
They work harder.

1, 2 & 3 = assumptions
4 = silly free-market idea

(Were you never taught about the fallacy of making absolute statements with only generalised evidence at best? :yum:)
Reply 38
T. Hereford
Yes, university prestige does matter in long term career. Anyone who says it doesn't is talking rubbish.

My friend went to Imperial to study Environmental Technology and got a job as Analyst in Corporate Liability at PriceWaterhouseCoopers straight after graduation. The vacancy had nothing to do with his degree but just they offered to train him to do the job.

Right.... so 'long term' to you is the job straight after uni?

Or do you expect them to stay with PwC for life?
Diaz89

You are wrong.

T. Hereford

You area wrong also.

When going for an experienced position (i.e. anything other than entry level) then your interview will solely revolve around demonstrating your competence through your actions in previous employment and your personal qualities. If, you are applying for a job as a major projects manager then it doesn't matter if you went to Hertfordshire or Oxford it matters what your track record in projects is.

To be honest, anyone who has spent five minutes in the professional workplace as a permanent employee will realise that your career track-record is the key thing in gaining promotions or moving to other companies.

Latest

Trending

Trending