The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well if you're going for a job, Imperial will look better than Hertfordshire on a CV. Depends completely upon the job, employer and your experience. You could always do a masters at a better university if it does hold you back.
Reply 2
'long term career' is different from 'first job'.

It depends which industry and how you are applying. It varys from a lot to insignificant.
I think it will slowly make less and less of a difference but early on when you really have nothing but talk and a degree to state your case in job interviews it will matter quite a bit.
Reply 4
From what i've heard, it matters for your first full-time job. Afterwards, it means zilch.
Hertfordshire is a decent university, and if you have industrial experience then I'm sure you won't have too many problems.
Reply 6
One of my friends graduated with high 90s% in his Physics degree from Hertfordshire this year, he's applying to Imperial to do an MSc so he can get better job prospects because the job market is struggling at the moment.
Reply 7
It depends on a career, tbh. I guess that for Law it's gonna be more important than for some other degrees. :yep:
For first job it will. In finance/law it might have an impact throughout your career. Otherwise, I think it holds no value,
Reply 9
Forgot to mention, I'm doing Computer Science.
Reply 10
Troyes
Forgot to mention, I'm doing Computer Science.

Unless you're usuing contacts then it will probs have an affect, but not as great as some other sectors.

Again, depends what career you had in mind. Some for technology you just get by knowing people so uni won't be a hinderence.
Depends on many things...

I'm surprised to hear that your degree only matters during the frist few years of your career. I suppose it's like a-levels only matter for uni entrance...
Can someone please expand on that.

I heard uni you go to matters a lot for jobs. A guy at imperial with a 2.1 will get your place. However, if he has no job exp and you do, everyithng can work out in your favour. I know some guys with 1st class from oxbridge struggling to copmpete against guys with ok degrees but who have real-like work experience and reputee inductris.

The level you get matters though for MSCi, not ness uni you wen t to, so get a first, then go do msc at imp and then you will have excellent chances for jobs

again, take this with a pinch of salt, these days, you never really know whjat happens, best bet is to have it all (prestige uni, job exp, contacts in sector, personality....) - too much presure lol
It depends on the career. I think you should be fine for yours. You've got industry experience and will hopefully get a 2:1, setting you up well for the immediate future. Don't rush into further study without researching it fully, postgraduate degrees are a whole different ball game.
Reply 13
Why not just go to a university considered prestigious? That way you can't lose.
It really depends on the industry. Banking, hell yes. Consulting, yes to an extent. Oil and Gas/Energy, no. Anything else, not really but it would certainly put you ahead of a lot of people.

Prestige only matters to those who revel in it. Investment firms, Consulting, Law, any industry with a lot of old money and people with Ivy and Russell Group degrees. It does matter to them.

Any other industry thats involved in more technical stuff like Oil and Gas, Energy, Environmental, Government, etc. it doesn't matter but it will put you ahead in line. Thats about it.

At least this is how it is in the States. Prestige matters less once you leave high society.
What career do you want to go into (or are considering)? What are you studying?
like someone above said, it may matter initially for your first job but won't matter really in the long term. Though now as it is becoming the norm to have a degree work experience is becoming more and more important and as you already have lots of experience then you shouldnt have too much trouble finding a decent job!
Troyes
How much depends on how presigious the University is when finding a job?

I'm from the University of Hertfordshire (which is ranked 97 in the Guardian League table, so make your own assumptions there). However I have lots of industrial experience including a placement and I expect to graduate with a 2:1 atleast. How am I placed compared to students graduating from Imperial etc.?

It's also 45th in the complete university guide and 66th in the times uni guide.

And is the first ex poly to be in the top 500 in the world, it's a decent uni.
Reply 18
yes it does those who say it doesn't probably went to **** unis in the first place and are now trying to comfort their failure with false hope.
Reply 19
I'd expect a person with a degree in Computer Science from Hertfordshire to have retired with a decent, respectful and fulfilling career behind them. It's only the beginning that may be slightly more of a struggle (but that can probably be blamed on the current situation of the economy more than the prerstige of Hertfordshire, which isn't actually a bad Uni).

Latest

Trending

Trending