The Student Room Group

South Asian men (Muslim ideally): would you marry a med drop-out

Pretty much self explanatory title, would you marry a south Asian girl who dropped out of med because she hated it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And she started on it due to parental pressure, if that makes any difference
Reply 2
Any opinions on this?
Reply 3
Female and not south Asian but I would rather date a happy med school drop out than a miserable and depressed doctor. You have one life - why make yourself miserable for the sake of supposed prestige or other people's opinions? Medicine in this country is heading down the gutter anyway, it can be argued that dropping out is the sensible thing to do...
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Female and not south Asian but I would rather date a happy med school drop out than a miserable and depressed doctor. You have one life - why make yourself miserable for the sake of supposed prestige or other people's opinions? Medicine in this country is heading down the gutter anyway, it can be argued that dropping out is the sensible thing to do...

Not sure south Asians would agree though :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by HaseebAhmad
how does drop out affect how u r as a person if ur a good person have good values, shud mean nothing to ur husband

They might see dropping out as a bad value, if you're south Asian you'd know how important careers like med are to south asians
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Not sure south Asians would agree though :frown:

I know South Asians who have dropped out of medicine for other careers. Medicine in the UK is just not a prestigious career any more.
Reply 7
I know South Asians who have dropped out of medicine for other careers. Medicine in the UK is just not a prestigious career any more.

I appreciate the encouragement but it is amongst South Asian though particularly parents.
What are your friends who have dropped out doing now?
Reply 8
I appreciate the encouragement but it is amongst South Asian though particularly parents.
What are your friends who have dropped out doing now?

I know, but your life should not be dictated by your parents, especially when they may have very little clue about what a career involves (appreciate that can be tricky in some culture, including mine). You got into med school so you clearly have a lot going for you and will be able to do well in another career - dropping out because you hate something is very different to not getting in in the first place (if we are talking prestige).

Some people are in med tech development, one is teaching at a medical school, I think some are in finance.
(edited 3 months ago)
Pretty much self explanatory title, would you marry a south Asian girl who dropped out of med because she hated it

Why does dropping out of a subject depend on you marrying the person or not seems petty that
Reply 10
Original post by Mohammed_80
Why does dropping out of a subject depend on you marrying the person or not seems petty that

A matter of prestige for Asians, not sure their parents would appreciate that I didn't stick with it
Reply 11
I know, but your life should not be dictated by your parents, especially when they may have very little clue about what a career involves (appreciate that can be tricky in some culture, including mine). You got into med school so you clearly have a lot going for you and will be able to do well in another career - dropping out because you hate something is very different to not getting in in the first place (if we are talking prestige).

Some people are in med tech development, one is teaching at a medical school, I think some are in finance.

That's true I guess I did get in, I don't know I feel like a lot of south Asian parents wouldn't be happy and it's affect their image of me with marrying their son etc.
Perhaps I'm being ignorant to the cultural issues at play here, but this thread is all about whether South Asian men would view you as 'good enough' to marry if you dropped out of medical school. That seems to me to be awfully dismissive of your own self worth. If they wouldn't marry you because you dropped out of med school, why would you want to marry them, even if you stayed in med school? Surely irrespective of the cultural issues, you want to marry someone who prioritises your wellbeing, respects your autonomy in making your own choices, and marries you for who you are?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Perhaps I'm being ignorant to the cultural issues at play here, but this thread is all about whether South Asian men would view you as 'good enough' to marry if you dropped out of medical school. That seems to me to be awfully dismissive of your own self worth. If they wouldn't marry you because you dropped out of med school, why would you want to marry them, even if you stayed in med school? Surely irrespective of the cultural issues, you want to marry someone who prioritises your wellbeing, respects your autonomy in making your own choices, and marries you for who you are?

I would yes that would certainly be ideal, the things is in my culture parent opinion is also quite important in marriage, I'm not sure many parents would agree.
Secondly, marriage is really important to me and I'm worried I'll end up not married at all be sure of this.
Fyi I have already dropped out of med school
I would yes that would certainly be ideal, the things is in my culture parent opinion is also quite important in marriage, I'm not sure many parents would agree.
Secondly, marriage is really important to me and I'm worried I'll end up not married at all be sure of this.
Fyi I have already dropped out of med school

Come on, plenty of women who aren't doctors are married (just like there are women who are doctors who aren't)
South Asian boy, 18.
Ok, I understand what you're worried about.
black tea is right to say that your happiness and wellbeing is paramount but I disagree with her that medicine isn't considered prestigious anymore. Sure, things have changed since the '80s, but most people and definitely most Asians view medicine with great value, and why wouldn't they - it's the ability to save peoples' lives, it's a beautiful thing?

However, you're clearly sure medicine isn't for you, and that's ok - it's not for everyone, and that doesn't make you less smart, if anything you have to be pretty smart to realise it's a good idea to get out of something which isn't for you whilst you can. There's no doubt some Asian parents will question it, but others won't. Plenty of them understand the difficulties with medicine now.

Overall, I think it comes down to what you do now. You've left medicine behind - fine - but what now? You need to find something that does work for you, so you can say 'I dropped out of med school because it wasn't for me but...I've since done xyz and am really happy'.

To answer your question directly, I would have no issue marrying a med school drop out, if she has done something of value since, and if she is happy now in herself. To be totally honest, I'd be grateful that I could see my wife more than 1 hour a day because she's not so exhausted (if she wanted to carry on working).

I hope this helps a bit. Ask anything else you want.
Original post by Anonymous #2
South Asian boy, 18.
black tea is right to say that your happiness and wellbeing is paramount but I disagree with her that medicine isn't considered prestigious anymore. Sure, things have changed since the '80s, but most people and definitely most Asians view medicine with great value, and why wouldn't they - it's the ability to save peoples' lives, it's a beautiful thing?

However, you're clearly sure medicine isn't for you, and that's ok - it's not for everyone, and that doesn't make you less smart, if anything you have to be pretty smart to realise it's a good idea to get out of something which isn't for you whilst you can. There's no doubt some Asian parents will question it, but others won't. Plenty of them understand the difficulties with medicine now.

Overall, I think it comes down to what you do now. You've left medicine behind - fine - but what now? You need to find something that does work for you, so you can say 'I dropped out of med school because it wasn't for me but...I've since done xyz and am really happy'.

To answer your question directly, I would have no issue marrying a med school drop out, if she has done something of value since, and if she is happy now in herself. To be totally honest, I'd be grateful that I could see my wife more than 1 hour a day because she's not so exhausted (if she wanted to carry on working).

It's not a prestigious or well-paying career in the UK. Have a read about the junior doctor strikes and how much doctors are paid per hour, and tell me whether you would consider that prestigious.
It's not a prestigious or well-paying career in the UK. Have a read about the junior doctor strikes and how much doctors are paid per hour, and tell me whether you would consider that prestigious.

Believe me, I'm well aware of the issues, but prestige is totally independent of salary and conditions. I agree, it's very tough and significantly underpaid, but it's still an incredibly highly respected career - especially for some people in certain cultures. If anything, people have more respect for doctors right now because everyone knowns how hard it is for them. Again, sure, things have changed from the past when every patient respected their doctor and listened to them etc. but in terms of a career, it's still considered prestigious.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous #2
South Asian boy, 18.

Thanks for this, it was nice to read. I hope others think that way too
Reply 19

There are a lot of cultural factors at play too, many south Asians, particularly parents do see it as a prestige thing because of the hard work that goes into it and also the stability of the job (even if it doesn't have the best pay out there)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending