The Student Room Group

Is an A in Maths good enough

Hi, I am a student about to start university at a top 5 UK university to study Economics. I got a A* A A in my A-Levels (Econ, Maths, Chem) but was only one mark away from an A* in Maths which really sucks.

Is it worth getting a remark in Maths now, in case I decide to try to pursue a career in finance- I am asking because I have heard how competitive jobs are in this field and worry that I could be placed below candidates who got an A* in Maths.

Am I right in thinking this or does the prestige of the university matter more?
Original post by adpie
Hi, I am a student about to start university at a top 5 UK university to study Economics. I got a A* A A in my A-Levels (Econ, Maths, Chem) but was only one mark away from an A* in Maths which really sucks.

Is it worth getting a remark in Maths now, in case I decide to try to pursue a career in finance- I am asking because I have heard how competitive jobs are in this field and worry that I could be placed below candidates who got an A* in Maths.

Prestige does not matter, only the grade you will get at the end of your degree
Original post by adpie

Finance firms will not care about the difference between A*A*A and A*AA. They rarely even care about your actual degree grade so long as it's a 2.1 or higher. They care far more about your uni, your work experiences and how you perform in their recruitment tests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending