The Student Room Group

the Scottish Science Baccalaureate

Does anyone know whether Id be better doing 3AHs (chemistry, biology, applied maths) or the Scottish Baccalaureate, higher art and 2AH (in chemistry and biology)? Is it going to be an advantage to have the scottish baccalaureate when applying to a medical school?

I am doing AH chemistry, biology, applied maths and higher art at the moment.

Because of all my extra circulars I don't think I can do all of what im currently doing and the baccalaureate.
Reply 1
What is the scottish baccalaureate?
Reply 2
acas13
What is the scottish baccalaureate?

New thing - http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/35858.1826.html
(I would be a guinea pig, only selected schools are part of a pilot scheme)

Multi-disiplinary project done with university mentors
I think im doing the scottish bac thing to... The problem is if it is recognised by the university by the time ur applying, i dunno?

Cause to be honest isnt it just a combination of subjects and a interdisciplinary thing. Cant u just take 3 AHS and do the bac? and higher art?
Reply 4
spacepirate-James
I think im doing the scottish bac thing to... The problem is if it is recognised by the university by the time ur applying, i dunno?

Cause to be honest isnt it just a combination of subjects and a interdisciplinary thing. Cant u just take 3 AHS and do the bac? and higher art?

I m just worried Im spread to thinly already - chemistry and biology are fine but maths is a lot of work. I have things after school 4 days a week and weekends are busy too, I have 3 study periods and 2 free periods currently (this would increase by 2-4 if one subject is dropped) so I don't have time to fit in another project.
Reply 5
Oh I see, had never heard of that before. Uni wise I am sure Scottish ones will know about it, but you may come into difficulties with English unis as they don't recognise the standard of our qualifications as it is sometimes!
Reply 6
acas13
Oh I see, had never heard of that before. Uni wise I am sure Scottish ones will no about it, but you may come into difficulties with English unis as they don't recognise the standard of our qualifications as it is sometimes!

Agree! High grade entry requirements at AH when highers is enough in Scotland!

Don't want to apply to English unis anyway. Guess I will just have to talk to my teachers and see what they think.
Reply 7
TheRabbit
Agree! High grade entry requirements at AH when highers is enough in Scotland!

Don't want to apply to English unis anyway. Guess I will just have to talk to my teachers and see what they think.

Yeah Im not applying to english unis either, I need a bit of a rest this year! And after slogging last year, then seeing that in English admissions eyes that counts for nothing, I decided against them!

Where are you applying?
Reply 8
acas13
Yeah Im not applying to english unis either, I need a bit of a rest this year! And after slogging last year, then seeing that in English admissions eyes that counts for nothing, I decided against them!

Where are you applying?

Edinburgh (medicine and engineering), glasgow (med), dundee (med), aberdeen (med). Don't see the point in extra work for english unis!

What about you?
Reply 9
TheRabbit
Edinburgh (medicine and engineering), glasgow (med), dundee (med), aberdeen (med). Don't see the point in extra work for english unis!

What about you?

St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh for med, not too sure about my 5th choice yet, or if I will even put one down! Thinking either biochemistry at Glasgow or possibly English and Linguistics at Edinburgh (completely unrelated to med but I love english too!)
Reply 10
acas13
St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh for med, not too sure about my 5th choice yet, or if I will even put one down! Thinking either biochemistry at Glasgow or possibly English and Linguistics at Edinburgh (completely unrelated to med but I love english too!)

You are probably best putting a fifth choice down- even of you choose not take up the offer and reapply to med the next year. I might decide to see if I can get a chemistry place at hw through clearing next year if I don't get into med and don't want to do engineering in the end- I am not certain about doing engineering yet. Cos I'm young I might take a gap year if I fail to get place and work so I have money for uni

Oh I see, had never heard of that before. Uni wise I am sure Scottish ones will know about it, but you may come into difficulties with English unis as they don't recognise the standard of our qualifications as it is sometimes!

I wouldn't worry too much about admissions tutors not recognising the qualification - if you have good enough grades for a tutor to be looking through your application, then its possible the Baccalaureate will make you stand out. Its all about selling your work in your personal statement...if you tell them why you believe its made you more prepared for uni, then its only ever going to be a positive thing - in England or Scotland.
Reply 12
spacepirate-James

um, arent you a fifth year doing highers according to your profile? i thought this is a AH thing. Just to point out, the project requires a lot of work and it isn't just another AH investigation - in school at the moment I have 5 hours a week in which I could potentially work on this but remember I will have work for my other subjects (even art is hard work) and as I have hockey, volunteering, music, scouts etc I have little time out of school either. It gets 65 UCAS points but I don't think that is really representative of the work it will need. It would be a good talking point at interview though. I think i will try and do them all though - I can always drop out of a course if it gets to much.
Sorry to revive this ancient thread but are fifth years eligible for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending