The Student Room Group

How likely are Cardiff or Liverpool to give me an offer?

Hoping to study biomedical science, entry requirements ABB.

My predicted grades are ABBCC, most importantly A in biology, B in psychology and C in chemistry.

I have a lot of extenuating circumstances and likely good references. Just stuck between which is more likely, Cardiff or Liverpool, sending off my application next week :smile:
Reply 1
Even if it's a high offer! My predicted grades don't reflect me very well. I'm returning to chemistry after a year off, so I'm rusty and my teacher doesn't know me the best (went to another school before). I know I can do better than a C.

I just want to know how likely it is to get an offer at all, even if it's high!
Original post by astrocarbs
Hoping to study biomedical science, entry requirements ABB.

My predicted grades are ABBCC, most importantly A in biology, B in psychology and C in chemistry.

I have a lot of extenuating circumstances and likely good references. Just stuck between which is more likely, Cardiff or Liverpool, sending off my application next week :smile:

Nobody but the universities themselves can tell you this. Universities sometimes make offers slightly below but that is dependent on numbers likely to reach their grades. Unless you are entitled to a contextual offer you will be made the standard offer.

How do you have 5 predicted grades. If you taking 5 subjects drop 2 and concentrate on achieving your best results in 3,
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody but the universities themselves can tell you this. Universities sometimes make offers slightly below but that is dependent on numbers likely to reach their grades. Unless you are entitled to a contextual offer you will be made the standard offer.

How do you have 5 predicted grades. If you taking 5 subjects drop 2 and concentrate on achieving your best results in 3,

One of the Bs is Welsh Bacc, which I'm not allowed to drop. I already have a B in biology, I'm just resitting it and very likely to get an A.

Really, I'm only doing 3 (psychology, chemistry, english) with Welsh Bacc coursework. I love biology so much that I know the content very well, so I won't need much to get the A. I nearly did for this year's exams, but had an awful infection which impaired me enough to just about miss it 😭

** I was predicted an A in psychology too, but a test last week didn't go the best so I wouldn't be surprised if my teacher bumped me down for that next week.
(edited 5 months ago)
One of the Bs is Welsh Bacc, which I'm not allowed to drop. I already have a B in biology, I'm just resitting it and very likely to get an A.

Really, I'm only doing 3 (psychology, chemistry, english) with Welsh Bacc coursework. I love biology so much that I know the content very well, so I won't need much to get the A. I nearly did for this year's exams, but had an awful infection which impaired me enough to just about miss it 😭

Welsh Bac is not accepted everywhere. It will be accepted for Cardiff as it is for all Welsh universities. Some English universities dont accept it although from memory I think Liverpool does. You may need to take Chemistry. Check that out. If you dont concentrate on just getting the grades. I met a student once in Swansea who had taken 4 A levels and the BTEC and she ended up missing her offer because of it. You need to concentrate on doing what is right for yourself and not just taking the Welsh Bac to make your schools result look good. Do whatever it takes to get into your chosen universities.
I have just checked the entry requirements and both accept the Welsh Bac. Liverpool requires both Chemistry and Biology. Cardiff only requires 1 so Cardiff will be easier for you to get into with your C in Chem.
Reply 6
Welsh Bac is not accepted everywhere. It will be accepted for Cardiff as it is for all Welsh universities. Some English universities dont accept it although from memory I think Liverpool does. You may need to take Chemistry. Check that out. If you dont concentrate on just getting the grades. I met a student once in Swansea who had taken 4 A levels and the BTEC and she ended up missing her offer because of it. You need to concentrate on doing what is right for yourself and not just taking the Welsh Bac to make your schools result look good. Do whatever it takes to get into your chosen universities.

I've tried to make Welsh Bacc relevant for biomed, doing my independent project on AI in cancer screening. I've made sure to mention this in PS with some context, so I don't really want to throw away all my work on that. Liverpool does say it accepts Welsh Bacc. at a B apparently?

Because I'm sending the application off next week that's sort of where things stand. I can understand dropping English but it's too late for that now. Hopefully my psychology teacher will still predict me an A, I just haven't had the chance to ask her yet so I'm assuming the worse. Predicted grades aren't that formal in my college and they change them pretty easily. I wish I sent off my application before that test 😭
Reply 7
I have just checked the entry requirements and both accept the Welsh Bac. Liverpool requires both Chemistry and Biology. Cardiff only requires 1 so Cardiff will be easier for you to get into with your C in Chem.

Oh okay! Thank you that does narrow it down a lot, I didn't notice that when I checked.
Oh okay! Thank you that does narrow it down a lot, I didn't notice that when I checked.

It is not too late to drop a subject. Do it BEFORE your ucas goes off. Once it goes off then you need a universities agreement as you are changing your contract with them. Taking 4 A levels is nutty. Even more adding the Welsh Bac in Concentrate on what is needed to achieve ABB not doing what your school wants. They do this because the Welsh Bac gives you UCAS points and makes their figures look good. If you miss your grades it is you who will suffer not the school and we loads of students on here who have taken 4 A levels and missed their grades so didnt get into their chosen university. Universities look at quality not quantity and make offers on 3 subjects not 5. Taking 5 doesnt impress them.
Here we take a look at the changes and which of the 24 Russell Group universities accept the Welsh Baccalaureate as equivalent to A levels for their offers.
[start]Oxford University[/start]
[start]No[/start]
[start]Oxford says on its website: “The university is aware that framework for the Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate has now been withdrawn, but that students are still able to take the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate as a standalone qualification.[/start]
[start]“The university recognises that this qualification will provide students with the opportunity to develop research and academic skills relevant for study at Oxford, particularly through the independent research project, and applicants are encouraged to draw upon their experiences when writing the personal statement. However, the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate will not form the basis of any offers, and conditional offers are likely to range between AAA and AAA at A-level, depending on the course.”[/start]
[start]Cambridge University[/start]
[start]Not usually[/start]
[start]Cambridge says on its website: “If you are taking the Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate, any offer we make you would be conditional on three A Level subjects studied as options for the Advanced Diploma.[/start]
[start]“We may take The Skills Challenge into consideration when we assess your application. But we wouldn’t normally include it as part of an offer.”[/start]
[start]Imperial College London[/start]
[start]No[/start]
[start]Imperial does not accept the Welsh Baccalaureate and requires three A levels.[/start]
[start]Durham University[/start]
[start]No[/start]
[start]Durham says on its website: “Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge. We value the Advanced Skills Challenge as a qualification which provides you with skills which are excellent preparation for university study and a successful higher education experience, but it does not form part of our offers.”[/start]
[start]London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)[/start]
[start]No[/start]
[start]The university said: “Applicants taking the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma are expected to have studied three subjects to A level and we would typically make an offer based on three A level grades (excluding the Welsh Baccalaureate qualification).[/start]
[start]“If you have only been able to take two A levels alongside the Welsh Baccalaureate because of school/college restrictions, we would consider making an offer based on two A levels and the Welsh Baccalaureate in place of the third A-level.[/start]
[start]“The Welsh Baccalaureate is regarded as a non-preferred subject and we would expect two generally preferred subjects at A level (see above). Supporting evidence regarding your school’s policy on A levels and the Welsh Baccalaureate would be required and should be provided in the reference.[/start]
[start]Queen Mary University of London[/start]
[start]Not for law or some other courses. Applicants are advised to check.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “We recognise the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate as an appropriate Level 3 qualification for entry to the majority of our undergraduate degree courses.[/start]
[start]“Generally, this certificate can be accepted in lieu of one A Level and offers will specify a grade to achieve in the Skills Challenge. Specific A Level subject requirements will still apply. Please see our Course Finder for details of the ALevel requirements of your chosen course.[/start]
[start]“Please note our School of Law will not include the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate in the conditions of any offers of study. However, we may consider the qualification when we receive your final results (if you slightly miss the conditions specified in your offer).”[/start]
[start]Edinburgh[/start]
[start]Not for all courses[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “If you are studying the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma, you will be required to achieve either three A Levels, or two A Levels plus the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate. Our entry requirements will vary depending on the degree you are applying for.”[/start]
[start]Leeds[/start]
[start]Not for all courses.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “Some courses may include the Welsh Baccalaureate when they make an offer. We encourage you to discuss your Work-Related Education, Personal and Social Education and Individual Investigation in your personal statement and at interview.[/start]
[start]“In some cases, admissions tutors may make an alternative offer, one of which involves successful completion of the Welsh Baccalaureate (eg AAA at A-level or AAB plus the Welsh Baccalaureate).”[/start]
[start]Applicants are advised to check with the admissions teams for the course (s) they’re interested in.[/start]
[start]Sheffield[/start]
[start]Yes, but not necessarily for all courses[/start]
[start]Sheffield University lists the Welsh Baccalaureate among qualifications it considers in offers. It says on its website: “Precise entry requirements vary for each course, and some courses don’t accept all of the qualifications listed. Courses with subject prerequisites also require specific grades/scores in individual subjects.”[/start]
[start]Cardiff University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: cardiff-university>Cardiff University accepts the Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge Certificate for admission to all of its undergraduate degree programmes as equivalent to one A Level at the same grade, and will accept the Advanced Skills Baccalaureate Wales in the same way from 2023.[/start]
[start]“If you are studying either qualification in combination with three A levels, any offer you are made for entry will be flexible, allowing you to satisfy the grades required either from the Baccalaureate and two specified A levels or grade requirements for three A levels. Any subject-specific requirements will also be stipulated in the offer.”[/start]
[start]Glasgow University[/start]
[start]Many, but not all, courses[/start]
[start]The university said: “We welcome and recognise the value of the Welsh Baccalaureate and the Core. The Advanced Diploma with a pass in the Core and two A-levels is accepted for many programmes.”[/start]
[start]Bristol University[/start]
[start]Yes - but there is one course it won’t be accepted for.[/start]
[start]The university said: “We will be treating the new Advanced Skills Baccalaureate in the same way as the previous Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge it can take the place of one non-specified A-Level at the same grade.[/start]
[start]“For example, the offer for English is AAA including English Literature. This could be met by A Levels AA including English Literature and A in the Advanced Skills Baccalaureate. Offers will include both the three A Level version and the two A Level plus Advanced Skills Baccalaureate alternative.[/start]
[start]“The only course we cannot accept the Welsh Advanced Skills Baccalaureate for is Chemical Physics this is because for this course we require A levels in maths, chemistry and physics.”[/start]
[start]Queen’s University Belfast[/start]
[start]Not for all courses.[/start]
[start]The university said: “The Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate (WBASCC) is considered in lieu of an A-level (grades A*–C) with the exception of medicine and dentistry.[/start]
[start]York University[/start]
[start]The university will “consider” the Welsh Baccalaureate in offers.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “We will consider this qualification alongside A levels, as equivalent to one A level. You would need to pass the qualification with a grade A-B in the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate.”[/start]
[start]Manchester University[/start]
[start]Yes, usually, but applicants are advised to check with admissions team for their chosen course.[/start]
[start]The university ays on its website: “The university welcomes and recognises the value of the Advanced Welsh Skills Challenge Certificate (Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate) and usually requires two A levels to be included within this.[/start]
[start]“The grade required will normally be the same as the lowest A-level grade listed in the course entry requirements. We advise you to contact the academic School, who will clarify whether your specific portfolio of qualifications is acceptable for entry on to your chosen course.”[/start]
[start]Birmingham University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate - the grade required will be the same as from an A level and must be combined with 2 A levels.”[/start]
[start]Newcastle University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university said it accepts the Welsh Baccalaureate as A level equivalent in its offers.[/start]
[start]Nottingham University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university says on its website that “although A levels are the most common entry qualifications” other qualifications, including the Welsh Baccalaureate are accepted.[/start]
[start]Exeter University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “The Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate - Skills Challenge Certificate will be accepted as equivalent to an A level and can count towards our general entry requirements. Applicants would normally be expected to offer at least two A levels or equivalent in addition to this qualification.[/start]
[start]“We accept an A grade as equivalent to an A at A level, A as equivalent to an A at A level, and B as equivalent to a B at A level and a C grade as equivalent to a C at A level. The Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma - Core is also acceptable as equivalent to an A Level when a grade C is achieved.[/start]
[start]University College London (UCL)[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university said: “We consider the WBQ Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate plus two A Level grades as meeting our requirements. Your grade in the WBQ Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate is considered as directly equivalent to an A Level grade.[/start]
[start]“Please note, where a programme has an A Level subject requirement, you must sit this subject as one of your two A Levels.”[/start]
[start]Warwick University[/start]
[start]Yes[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “Warwick welcomes applicants who are studying the Welsh Baccalaureate at Advanced Level. In addition to our typical offer an alternative offer would be made to applicants taking the Skills Challenge Certificate.[/start]
[start]“The alternative offer would be one grade lower and include obtaining grade C or above in the Skills Challenge Certificate. The one grade reduction would not be in any essential subjects required for a course e.g. if the typical offer was AAA including A in mathematics the alternative offer would be AAB including A in mathematics and grade C or above in the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate.[/start]
[start]Southampton University[/start]
[start]Yes.[/start]
[start]The university said: “We accept the Advanced Skills Baccalaureate Wales as an alternative Level 3 qualification to A levels.”[/start]
[start]Liverpool University[/start]
[start]Not on all courses and only in combination with A levels not other level 3 qualifications.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “The Welsh Baccalaureate is considered for science and engineering, humanities and social sciences and health and life sciences on the same basis as BTEC at either a grade A or B depending on the programme. Although some programmes within science and engineering may require an additional mathematics test.[/start]
[start]“Note that for the majority of programmes the Welsh Baccalaureate will only be accepted in combination with two A levels and not in combination with other Level 3 qualifications.”[/start]
[start]Kings College London[/start]
[start]Only on condition.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website that it will only accept the Welsh Baccalaureate in place of an A level if the applicant’s school won’ let students take three A levels alongside the Welsh Baccalaureate.[/start]
[start]The university says on its website: “King’s would normally expect applicants taking the Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge Certificate to have studied three subjects to A level as part of their qualification, and would make an offer based on these A-level grades.[/start]
[start]“However, where a school or college is unable to offer students a third A level alongside the Welsh Baccalaureate, King’s would consider making an offer based on the Advanced Skills Challenge Certificate alongside two A-levels. In these cases, a statement must be included in the first few lines of the UCAS reference to inform us of the school’s policy in this regard.”[/start]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending