The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I hate algorithums. There the only thing I don't understand

We should make a topic for those odd questions that catch everyone out. Im in the process of doing 20 practice papers and in the 1st one i've found 2 that completely caught me out
Reply 2
OMGWTF
I hate algorithums. There the only thing I don't understand

We should make a topic for those odd questions that catch everyone out. Im in the process of doing 20 practice papers and in the 1st one i've found 2 that completely caught me out

Yeah i know, some algorithms are ok, but this hashing one i just do not get the use for.

What questions have caught you out?

Yeah this can be the thread for a level computing revision questions.

Cheers

Flukey :smile:
Hashing algorithm. Isn't that used for passwords? Yeah, tis!
Reply 4
hmm....i would think a hashing algorithm is where the record has to go through some form of algorithm(which can be anything) to store itself...

but i've heard that one possible hashing method is the 'division/remainder method'. This is where the record is divided by the total number of addresses on the file and the remainder of this would be taken as the address of the record.

in my textbook it shows an example...

record number is 75481
1000 records

so 75481/1000 = 75 remainder 481

therefore the address is 481.

MOD 1000...well you cant just have that by itself...it's basically taking a remainder of a number...as i shown above...

75481 MOD 1000 would mean...
75481 divided by 1000...and taking the remainder which is 481 (as mentioned above)

I hope this made sense....i'm terrible at explaining things but i tried =D
Reply 5
The Difference Between Archiving and Backuping

This is what I put, Archiving is saving data for use later wheras backing up is saving data incase of an emergency to stop all data being lost

Thats one of them. BTW does anyone know where i can get the AQA Grade Boundaries, i've got all the exam papers and mark schemes
Reply 6
jakayaki
hmm....i would think a hashing algorithm is where the record has to go through some form of algorithm(which can be anything) to store itself...

but i've heard that one possible hashing method is the 'division/remainder method'. This is where the record is divided by the total number of addresses on the file and the remainder of this would be taken as the address of the record.

in my textbook it shows an example...

record number is 75481
1000 records

so 75481/1000 = 75 remainder 481

therefore the address is 481.

MOD 1000...well you cant just have that by itself...it's basically taking a remainder of a number...as i shown above...

75481 MOD 1000 would mean...
75481 divided by 1000...and taking the remainder which is 481 (as mentioned above)

I hope this made sense....i'm terrible at explaining things but i tried =D

Oh i get you, you exlpained it very well. Shall rep you!

Thanks for that, much appreciated. It's crystal clear now!

Reply 7
One other thing.

CD ROM, not CD. That caught me out, even Compact Disc isn't acceptable
Reply 8
OMGWTF

This is what I put, Archiving is saving data for use later wheras backing up is saving data incase of an emergency to stop all data being lost

Thats one of them. BTW does anyone know where i can get the AQA Grade Boundaries, i've got all the exam papers and mark schemes

grade boundaries:

<40% U
=>40% E
=>50% D
=>60% C
=>70% B
=>80% A

Note: => is greater than or equal too.
Reply 9
OMGWTF

Yeah thats a good explanation, the exam board should accept that. Nice one! :smile:

OMGWTF
One other thing.

CD ROM, not CD. That caught me out, even Compact Disc isn't acceptable

oh right didn't know that, thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Reply 10
OMGWTF

Refer to these examiners report for the grade boundaries: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/comp_exam.html Click on anyone to see the grad boundaries, it is located near the end of the report, and you should see a few tables.

I can't believe the exam is in 2 days time. Good luck!
Reply 11
but those grade boundries are UMS not raw.

Archiving is copying the data to whatever (CD-R, tape drive, etc.) THEN REMOVING THE ORIGINAL DATA

Backing up is copying the data to whatever, and KEEPING THE ORIGINAL DATA 'online'
Reply 12
The A-level computing 5th edition text book has definitions on archiving and back up. They are:

archiving: removing a file from an online storage and used for future reference
backing up: making a copy of a file to guard against data loss from accidents or deliberate damage
Reply 13
Thats what the AQA mark schemes say too Trev
Reply 14
OMGWTF
Thats what the AQA mark schemes say too Trev

Good. :smile: I just follow and write what the textbook and mark scheme says. You will never go wrong with that.
Flukey
hashing one i just do not get the use for
hashes are used in two contexts - lookup and one-way encryption.

They're used for fast retrieval of a record from a set. Let's take records where we have 10,000 people and we want to find a single person by name. We could store them in a list and then search that list. We could equally use something like a binary chop, but each of those means fetching and comparing a lot of records.

With a hash code, you use a fixed algorithm to turn the name into an index. You then use the index to fetch that record directly. So you might simply add up the numerical values of all the letters in the name to get a number - then use that number to get the full record. The problem is that two names might give the same value like "Mike" and "Kim E" so you try to use a hashing algorithm that gives a pretty random spread. Even so, you'll still get names that clash, so you need a way of dealing with it. One way is to use a simple list of all the records with the same hash value. It still needs a few comparisons, but it's much faster overall.

Hashing is the fastest search algorithm, since it has order N, rather than N2 for a linear search or log2 (N) for a binary chop.

The one-way nature of hashes is used for passwords and digital signatures. that is, you can't figure out the original string from the hash value alone. If you have a big enough hash and a good enough mixing algorithm, it becomes computationally infeasible to find any string which matches a given hash.
Guys, I was thinking about creating a revision thread of A2 computing (mainly Edexcel)....tell me its a good idea lol :biggrin: unless you are all doing AQA :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending