The Student Room Group

NEA computer science A level Django

I want to make some sort of social media platform for my NEA. To do this I am learning django. It is all going well but I have noticed that a lot of the stuff from django is from libraries and does not need to be hardcoded.
For example the databases are very simple to configure, and can be ran fully from python code. But my question is will this get me any marks for using relational databases (in this example)? As I do not need to necessarily code it but I am using it anyway. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by ToMuchTNT
I want to make some sort of social media platform for my NEA. To do this I am learning django. It is all going well but I have noticed that a lot of the stuff from django is from libraries and does not need to be hardcoded.
For example the databases are very simple to configure, and can be ran fully from python code. But my question is will this get me any marks for using relational databases (in this example)? As I do not need to necessarily code it but I am using it anyway. Thanks.

A relational database is about where you store what and how you arrange your tables. Chances are you will only create your database once so most of the marks for that will be in your design.

Top tip. As you create your database, create a script that will drop all tables and recreate them from scratch so that you can test that everything works from a clean dB.

Django is very comprehensive and is designed to get you up and running quickly so you might use it to prototype your ideas. However to hit top marks you will need to write from scratch some of your own algorithms e.g. a hash function to store password hashes etc etc.

Be aware that your project sounds great but there is a lot to it. I made something similar in lockdown and it was probably about 4-5 full time man months of effort.

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
A relational database is about where you store what and how you arrange your tables. Chances are you will only create your database once so most of the marks for that will be in your design.
Top tip. As you create your database, create a script that will drop all tables and recreate them from scratch so that you can test that everything works from a clean dB.
Django is very comprehensive and is designed to get you up and running quickly so you might use it to prototype your ideas. However to hit top marks you will need to write from scratch some of your own algorithms e.g. a hash function to store password hashes etc etc.
Be aware that your project sounds great but there is a lot to it. I made something similar in lockdown and it was probably about 4-5 full time man months of effort.
Good luck!

Can you elaborate on your explanation I am confused about what you mean.
Are you telling me to just show all the SQL I would be writing in my design section but use Django's ORM to create the actual databases in my technical solution?
Also, I would like to see how your NEA project came up to be, If you don't mind, could you dm me any info about it?
Reply 3
Original post by foozi2007
Can you elaborate on your explanation I am confused about what you mean.
Are you telling me to just show all the SQL I would be writing in my design section but use Django's ORM to create the actual databases in my technical solution?
Also, I would like to see how your NEA project came up to be, If you don't mind, could you dm me any info about it?

I am saying - to create your database, work out what all your CREATE TABLE, and INSERT commands for SQL will be. Which are foreign keys and primary keys. You can create and administer a database using SQL commands manually. You want to create and administer an SQL table using code which is exactly the same, but the SQL commands are strings in your program rather than you typing them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending