The Student Room Group

MCS or Perse for Computer Science and Maths

Hi All,
I got admission offers from both MCS, Oxford and Perse, Cambridge but now need to decide which school will be a better choice for studying Computer Science and Maths.
My preference would be to join a school which provides learning opportunities outside of A level curriculum as well.

Please provide your feedback if you are already going to these schools and studying these subjects or researched about these schools.
(edited 4 months ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by vivaan14
Hi All,
I got admission offers from both MCS, Oxford and Perse, Cambridge but now need to decide which school will be a better choice for studying Computer Science and Maths.
My preference would be to join a school which provides learning opportunities outside of A level curriculum as well.

Please provide your feedback if you are already going to these schools and studying these subjects or researched about these schools.

Hey,
I also want to go to MCS. Could you please tell me what the verbal reasoning is and how to prepare? As well as what type of questions they ask you interviews? Thank you so much x
Reply 3
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
Hey,
I also want to go to MCS. Could you please tell me what the verbal reasoning is and how to prepare? As well as what type of questions they ask you interviews? Thank you so much x

Verbal reasoning was more 11+ bond book kind.

TBH, I didn't prepare for VR
Reply 4
The interview is more subject-specific. I took a computer science interview which had questions on my interest in the field, some logical questions and questions on my previous experience, and projects in the field.
Verbal reasoning was more 11+ bond book kind.

TBH, I didn't prepare for VR

was it diffcult? what type of questions just so i can kind of know what to expect
The interview is more subject-specific. I took a computer science interview which had questions on my interest in the field, some logical questions and questions on my previous experience, and projects in the field.

What do you mean by questions on previous experience and logical questions? Can u go a little bit into detail? Im sorry to annoy you, i just really need to know because im stressing out for it
Reply 7
Hi All,

Hi,
I've got an offer from MCS as well to study Computing, Maths, Physics and Further Maths. I don't know much about Perse but one main thing that got me intrigued by MCS was Oxford University. The fact that it is so close to Magdalen College and that the school is involved with Oxford lectures with Magdalen college is amazing and gives us some confidence and exposure to aim for a uni like Oxford.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by KaranSFogat
Hi,
I've got an offer from MCS as well to study Computing, Maths, Physics and Further Maths. I don't know much about Perse but one main thing that got me intrigued by MCS was Oxford University. The fact that it is so close to Magdalen College and that the school is involved with Oxford lectures with Magdalen college is amazing and gives us some confidence and exposure to aim for a uni like Oxford.

Hey,
Could you tell me a bit about the interviews? What type of questions do they ask?
Also do they accept the vast majority of people who apply?
Please tell me a bit about the verbal reason as well x
Reply 9
Hey,
Could you tell me a bit about the interviews? What type of questions do they ask?
Also do they accept the vast majority of people who apply?
Please tell me a bit about the verbal reason as well x

Hi,
About the interview:
First I had a general interview. The teacher just asked me the basic questions like why do you want to come here, your hobbies, grades and your aspirations for the future. You could find tips on how to answer them online.
Then, I had a computer science one and the teacher spent a lot of time (10 out of the 15 mins) asking me to give a logical approach to a searching algorithm. After that he just asked about my projects and experience.
About the acceptance rate:
A teacher said about a third of the sixth formers come externally from other schools - so thats about 70 people. Out of these people, about 85% are girls, so its a bit harder for boys (me). I would say about 300 people did the tests and probably they picked half for interview.
About the verbal reasoning,
Some questions were quite logical like what the time be if one was in a different time zone and stuff like that.
Many questions were like the 11+ verbal reasoning so you might want to practice those questions.
Hey,
Many thanks for replying.
You know how you mentioned they spent 10 minutes asking you about algorithms. Im not doing computer science but did you learn that in GCSE? I'm a bit scared they're going to ask me to do something I have no idea how to do ( I'm doing english, politics, french, maths)
Reply 11
Hi,

Ya seems we two study the same subjects at A level :smile:

The same argument goes with Perse as they have a strong connection with Cambridge and uni is considered as a good place for STEM.

I'm visiting Perse on 4/Jan as I never attended their open day to understand school more.

If you don't mind which school you are attending at the moment.

Let's connect via DM if you are good.
but where do you guys live? because I want to go either perse or mcs but they're so far away.
i go to a school in oxford atm x
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey,
Many thanks for replying.
You know how you mentioned they spent 10 minutes asking you about algorithms. Im not doing computer science but did you learn that in GCSE? I'm a bit scared they're going to ask me to do something I have no idea how to do ( I'm doing english, politics, french, maths)

What I would recommend is revise your gcse content and then maybe if you have time read around your subject e.g. look at a-level stuff to help you. The funny thing is my interviewer said he would ask that algorithm question from an university applicant in an universty interview. So essentially it's not what your answer is, it's how much you can try and attempt the question. As well as this show that you are willing to learn and if you are wrong then try to understand what the answer is.
Reply 14
I live in Newbury.

Karn has provided good advice for prep.
What I would recommend is revise your gcse content and then maybe if you have time read around your subject e.g. look at a-level stuff to help you. The funny thing is my interviewer said he would ask that algorithm question from an university applicant in an universty interview. So essentially it's not what your answer is, it's how much you can try and attempt the question. As well as this show that you are willing to learn and if you are wrong then try to understand what the answer is.

When is your deadline for deciding if you're going MCS or not? 🙂 Many thanks for everything btw
When is your deadline for deciding if you're going MCS or not? 🙂 Many thanks for everything btw

8th January.

BTW when are you going to be applying to MCS, is it next year?
8th January.

BTW when are you going to be applying to MCS, is it next year?

Yes but im not sure how I should revise/prepare. Im doing french, spanish, politics, english
Yes but im not sure how I should revise/prepare. Im doing french, spanish, politics, english

You have got plenty of time, don't worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending