The Student Room Group

Computer science nea A level project

Hi everyone I am currently looking at project ideas for my NEA computer science project which accounts for 20% of my final a level project. One idea I came across was flappy bird. I was wondering if a flappy bird game which stores a user high score would be complex enough for a a level nea project?

Scroll to see replies

Yh but you would probably have to add another unique mechanic to the game. Nothing too big though
Original post by tej3141
Yh but you would probably have to add another unique mechanic to the game. Nothing too big though

did you do a nea project?
Original post by Nadirberrachedi
did you do a nea project?

I'm in the process of doing one. I'm at the end of the analysis stage
Original post by tej3141
I'm in the process of doing one. I'm at the end of the analysis stage

nice what are you doing yours on?
nice what are you doing yours on?

It's a revision app for further maths. I'm just deeping how long this project is gonna take though.
Original post by tej3141
It's a revision app for further maths. I'm just deeping how long this project is gonna take though.

do you think you will be able to program it in time?
do you think you will be able to program it in time?

I think my school has until February so yh. But I was a bit ambitious stating all of the features I'm gonna include. I might remove a few
Original post by tej3141
I think my school has until February so yh. But I was a bit ambitious stating all of the features I'm gonna include. I might remove a few

i dont think there are many marks for programming anyway are there?
i dont think there are many marks for programming anyway are there?

15 Mark's I believe. Though, I'm not sure
anyone else know if flappy bird is a suitable project pls?
Just flappy bird by itself is too simple. In my college, if you did a game, you had to add a complex feature. For instance, the people that made snake, made a second snake controlled by an AI that you play against.
If I added bird customisation features, practice mode with checkpoints and an algorithm controlling the game's speed, would this make it more complex?My teacher said something about using a midpoint displacement algorithm but I don't really know how that would work here. Do you think I should stick to flappy bird but with these new features or change to something different like geometry dash or ludo?
Reply 13
Original post by contentgreen
If I added bird customisation features, practice mode with checkpoints and an algorithm controlling the game's speed, would this make it more complex?My teacher said something about using a midpoint displacement algorithm but I don't really know how that would work here. Do you think I should stick to flappy bird but with these new features or change to something different like geometry dash or ludo?

What did you end up going with, and how did it go? Also do you know what grade u got?
Reply 14

Why not try to change the layout of the pillars, like how close they are and the positioning of the hole, depending on how well the user plays the game. It would be like a pseudo ai
Reply 15

Why not make an algorithm which decides a range for how far apart the pillars are and other characteristics like the hole sizes and placement relative to the previous hole based on how well the player can play the game. This means you can add a like pseudo ai that adapts to how the user plays
Original post by liluzi_9mm
What did you end up going with, and how did it go? Also do you know what grade u got?

Hi, I ended up going making a Flappy Bird game. But, I did add some features to make it more complex. E.g. I used a midpoint displacement algorithm for a scrolling terrain background. Kinda random but my teacher suggest the algorithm and I just went w it.

I had other features too like the points counter and medal achievements (which were part of the original game).

I got 62/70 which was grade A (1 mark under the A*).
Original post by OClarkx64
Why not try to change the layout of the pillars, like how close they are and the positioning of the hole, depending on how well the user plays the game. It would be like a pseudo ai

That’s a really good idea, thanks! But I have finished my a levels now (thank god)
That’s a really good idea, thanks! But I have finished my a levels now (thank god)

Lool same, I remember doing the NEA, that was long. what exam board were you ?
Original post by Sacred2468
Lool same, I remember doing the NEA, that was long. what exam board were you ?

OCR and u?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending